HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

Just a quick question for you experienced guys. This is regarding a 2014 GMC truck.

Will dual triggering (using both headlight sources) a dual relay system (dual filter capacitors at the relays, dual everything) cause any problems with feedback or any other problem? It would be two completely independent systems, each triggered from their respective OE headlight power source.

Additionally, would the filter capacitor rating TRS provided with their kit for their Morimoto ballast, be appropriate for the Matsushita Gen V?

I'm trying to get the filter capacitor mounted adjacent to each relay, since I read this is optimum and my proposed circuit puts each relay and ballast mounted to the headlight assembly. That's why I want to trigger off each OE headlight plug. My ballasts will be mounted on the headlight assembly as well. Pretty much self-contained independent system on each headlight assembly.

Spurshot,

Isolating each side of the headlight won't cause any issues at all and there will be no backfeeding to speak of. Once the +12v hits the capacitor link and relay, the vehicle sees the circuit as terminated and thats the end of it. The relay and Morimoto control harness then takes over and all 12v+ is supplied through it. You're actually making troubleshooting easier for yourself, as GM fuses the headlights separately so carrying on that isolation will effectively make the circuit much easier to diagnose, should you have to.

Your idea for the headlights system and that mounting plate I saw you posting about on HIDPlanet is a great one and I look forward to seeing it done! If you're getting plates cut, I would gladly purchase a second set of you tbh.

The capacitor link will work with any ballast, as all it serves to do is smooth the otherwise modulated power. The OEM ballast will function well and you shouldn't have any issues.

Edited by Dangerdick

Some advise please for a noob

A good friend of mine does bulbs for a living. He's telling me he will install a hid kit on my gmc slt..for $75. He says it's a nice kit and the 6k would be white. Is this the norm here? Or can't I just put some silver star bulbs instead ?

Thanks in advance

Halogen bulbs are limited in the amount of light they can put out compared to HID and when you put a coating on it to make it not yellow you lose light output, so it is a night and day difference when upgrading to HID lights since you will get about 3 times the light with a true color temp of choice. If you want more light and or bright white light, you will want HID lights. As for how it works on the GMC directly, I can't help you. Just the facts on the lights and their output from me since I have a Silverado.

Some advise please for a noob

A good friend of mine does bulbs for a living. He's telling me he will install a hid kit on my gmc slt..for $75. He says it's a nice kit and the 6k would be white. Is this the norm here? Or can't I just put some silver star bulbs instead ?

Thanks in advance

Some things to consider:

• A projector relies heavily on bulb placement and focal points. If the arc is out of line even a few mm, the beam pattern will be skewed and make for poor night driving.
  • These vehicles use a PWM system that requires a capacitor to smooth the voltage for the lights to function well on the 'Automatic' setting.
  • Low quality DC ballasts will cause premature bulb death by forever using one electrode as the anode for the arc. A higher quality AC ballast will not do this and your bulbs will last longer.
  • A good quality kit will come with a waterproof relay system that will eliminate the most common issues you see with low quality kits.
  • A low quality kit will cost you time and money in the long run, as the cheaper alternative often does.
  • Lower quality bulbs use poor quality halide salts inside the capsule and will 'burn-in' (change color) to an undesirable shade or dim entirely.

Yes you can get it done for 75$ with a kit shipped directly from china with little to no quality control - Or for 175$ you can have a kit pieced together at The Retrofit Source that is tried, tested and true. Countless reviews on this and many other automobile forums, as well as the biggest HID forum going (HIDPlanet) can all attest to the quality of the kit.

BS4uOOM.png

Comes with the dual 40a relays and the capacitor link to ensure proper function. Go with your friend if you'd like, but when you cheap out - the results often speak for themself.

LINK: SIERRA SPEC: MORIMOTO ELITE HID SYSTEM

To anyone running HID in a Silverado OEM projector are you satisfied. I'm torn on a Silverado TRS kit or a kit and FXR projector retrofit. I have debated this for weeks and I am still unsure.

If you want a quick and easier install, then just throw in HIDs and call it a day, but like Dangerdick said, an FXR will blow the OEM lights out of the water! I'm looking to get my OEMs retrofitted in my Sierra as soon as I can

If you want a quick and easier install, then just throw in HIDs and call it a day, but like Dangerdick said, an FXR will blow the OEM lights out of the water! I'm looking to get my OEMs retrofitted in my Sierra as soon as I can

You guys are killing me and my pocket book. I knew this was the answer. Gotta pay to play I guess. I use my truck for towing so the downtime to retrofit is not an issue. Looks like the FXR will be the way to go. I'm new to the HID seen but not to mods so at least the Silverado appears easier to retrofit.

Question....if I just plan to use my HID as dedicated low beam do I need to even worry about the high beam shutter solenoid wiring. The Silverado has high beam separate and I plan to keep that stock and not retrofit. Now to try and make sense of HID adapters, wiring etc...I have done lots of stuff but for some reason this stuff gets mind numbing. My new 15 tow mirrors were a breeze compared to this prospect.

• Like 1

If you do the work to retrofit the lights, adding the relay harness to make the FX-R fully operational as a highbeam as well will be the easy part. It would be a waste not to.

10-4 on that. By the way your screen name and avatar is $$$

You guys are killing me and my pocket book. I knew this was the answer. Gotta pay to play I guess. I use my truck for towing so the downtime to retrofit is not an issue. Looks like the FXR will be the way to go. I'm new to the HID seen but not to mods so at least the Silverado appears easier to retrofit.

Question....if I just plan to use my HID as dedicated low beam do I need to even worry about the high beam shutter solenoid wiring. The Silverado has high beam separate and I plan to keep that stock and not retrofit. Now to try and make sense of HID adapters, wiring etc...I have done lots of stuff but for some reason this stuff gets mind numbing. My new 15 tow mirrors were a breeze compared to this prospect.

I have a different opinion. I think the RX350 BiX will be a better fit, along with a better beam.

I have a different opinion. I think the RX350 BiX will be a better fit, along with a better beam.

They sure look good but I at least know the top mounting holes on FX-R line up on Silverado mount. I wonder how the RX350 would line up.