2014+ Leveling Kits

Has anyone had to mess with their axle ratios when adding bigger tires? I have read that adding bigger tires messes with your axle ratio and throws your transmission and RPM's out of whack. I currently have a 3.23 axle ratio and I'm thinking of going from 275/55/R20 (31.9" Diameter tire) to 275/65/R20 (34.09" Diameter tire). Is there any truth to this? And if so, is it really anything to worry about or consider?

Ya there is. Larger tires will decrease what your speedometer reads (your speedometer will read slower than you're actually moving). With each revolution of the tire, you'll be traveling farther because of the larger circumference. As far as the gear ratios go it's doing the same thing as putting in a taller gear too and you already have a tall gear in there so you're going to feel like you have less power than you feel now.

• Like 1

Ya there is. Larger tires will decrease what your speedometer reads (your speedometer will read slower than you're actually moving). With each revolution of the tire, you'll be traveling farther because of the larger circumference. As far as the gear ratios go it's doing the same thing as putting in a taller gear too and you already have a tall gear in there so you're going to feel like you have less power than you feel now.

Will these changes be significant enough to notice? Or do they only change things very slightly?

Edited by Isidro____

You will most certainly feel it. It will stay in lower gears when cruising on the interstate and take more gas to get you moving. The diameter has less to do with it then the mass associated with those tires. You will be going from a four ply to a 10 ply tire and they will weigh much more. You will probably see a fair amount of mpg loss as well. But it will look sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isidro__ with the leveling kit and tires I lost between 2-3 mpg but the truck looks fantastic compared to before. I considered doing Open Country AT2 instead of the RT's but it looks like an All Terrain should look. Staying with an All Terrain tread will help keep weight down and having the 6.2 helps a bunch. To me regearing isn't needed but I haven't driven but 600 miles since the tire and level mods so I may not be your best source for info.

I drive on the same tires and a 2" level. Yeah, you lose some mpg's. it's not horrible, depending on your drive (more freeway vs more city). I still tow our 34 oal trailer and it pulls without hesitation @7500lbs. I have a 5.3 with a standard rear end. The truck has enough tq to handle heavier wheels and loads. The power loss is minimal... not like driving a Honda Civic and turning the air conditioner on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

without going through all 331 pages of this post question is 2016 sierra all terrain lower control arms are stamped aluminum....use rough country poly carbonate 2" leveling blocks which i've read in some posts wear out faster...or use the billet blocks?

without going through all 331 pages of this post question is 2016 sierra all terrain lower control arms are stamped aluminum....use rough country poly carbonate 2" leveling blocks which i've read in some posts wear out faster...or use the billet blocks?

There is no "stamped aluminum" but there is stamped steel, aluminum and steel. Aluminum and stamped steel require longer bolts so that's why they need to know which one of the three types you have. Aluminum and stamped steel are thicker and they need the longer bolts over the steel arms. I've never heard of the RC spacers wearing out nor do I see how they could wear out.

• Like 1

Guys, I have been pouring over this topic and wanted some clarification before I move forward. I have a new 2017 Silverado 1500 crew. I do not like the steep rake look on the truck or that it rides so low. I would like to raise the truck cab and get it closer to level. I tow occasionally, mostly in the 4000 lb range and I have a decked storage system in the back so I am always carrying 300 lb load in the bed. I am considering the 5100 adjustable bilstein shocks for the front that would be set to he second to highest height setting giving me approximately 1.75 inches of lift in the front. When loaded with my trailer, I am trying to avoid he squat look, so I am considering doing a small lift block in the rear. I want to run the stock tires out until replacements are needed and then replace them with a taller tire with a more aggressive tread. I am mostly on the road but hunt locally on rutted dirt roads 5-6 times a year and head to the Arkansas mud another 3-4 times a year. Am I on the right track for leveling the front of the truck with the 5100s and adding the short block in the rear therefore decreasing the rake but giving me a bit more height and higher rear for when I am carrying a load? What size tires and size would you recommend for my needs? I really appreciate your insight.

• Like 1

I did find this information from a previous post. Sounds like this combination of 5100 Bilsteins and spacers will get me where I want to be.

"Front - 2.5 inch (combination of bilstein 5100 set to 1.25 and 1.25 top spacer)

Rear - 1 inch (replaced 1.25 stock with 2.25) w/bilstein 5100"

Not sure how the rear1" was actually accomplished - Does the Silverado 1500 come equipped with a 1.25 inch spacer? top or bottom? Thanks again for any input.

Guys, I have been pouring over this topic and wanted some clarification before I move forward. I have a new 2017 Silverado 1500 crew. I do not like the steep rake look on the truck or that it rides so low. I would like to raise the truck cab and get it closer to level. I tow occasionally, mostly in the 4000 lb range and I have a decked storage system in the back so I am always carrying 300 lb load in the bed. I am considering the 5100 adjustable bilstein shocks for the front that would be set to he second to highest height setting giving me approximately 1.75 inches of lift in the front. When loaded with my trailer, I am trying to avoid he squat look, so I am considering doing a small lift block in the rear. I want to run the stock tires out until replacements are needed and then replace them with a taller tire with a more aggressive tread. I am mostly on the road but hunt locally on rutted dirt roads 5-6 times a year and head to the Arkansas mud another 3-4 times a year. Am I on the right track for leveling the front of the truck with the 5100s and adding the short block in the rear therefore decreasing the rake but giving me a bit more height and higher rear for when I am carrying a load? What size tires and size would you recommend for my needs? I really appreciate your insight.

I did find this information from a previous post. Sounds like this combination of 5100 Bilsteins and spacers will get me where I want to be.

"Front - 2.5 inch (combination of bilstein 5100 set to 1.25 and 1.25 top spacer)

Rear - 1 inch (replaced 1.25 stock with 2.25) w/bilstein 5100"

Not sure how the rear1" was actually accomplished - Does the Silverado 1500 come equipped with a 1.25 inch spacer? top or bottom? Thanks again for any input.

You probably won't get much response, because that question has been answered dozens of times...and members expect the new guys to search for their answers before asking a common question.

I'll give you the short answer...Yes, your truck has a 1.25" rear block, so replacing it with a 2.25" block will give you 1" of rear lift total. And yes, you can run a level kit in the front (and your combination of bilstein & spacer will be fine as long as you don't go higher than 2.5" total). I did something similar on my last two trucks. On my 2009, I ran a 2" spacer in the front and 3" blocks in the rear. Factory rake was about the same (which was nice for towing), but the whole truck sat 2" higher than stock. Then, on my 2012, I ran a 2" front spacer and 2" rear block. That truck only had about 1" of rake, so I added Timbren SES (with 1" spacers) to the rear to help with squat when towing.

And, if you tell me your rim size, I can help you with tire sizes...