Bed Liner Discussion

These prices sound right. I think the dealer is trying to pull a quick one on me. The truck that I agreed on getting was coming from out of state as a dealer transfer. He verbally went over the window options with me and they all sounded good. The next day I called him up to get the VIN for insurance purposes. I googled the VIN and found the vehicle. After looking at the window sticker I found that the vehicle here got had the 3.08 gears. He was well aware that I needed to tow around 9000#. This vehicle was enroute, fortunately for them I caught it. I almost backed out of the deal but they were able to find another truck that had a sticker price of 2k more. They absorbed most of the difference and my payment went up slightly, 6 bucks. I was still pretty displeased, so they threw in a set of running boards for 350. Maybe they are trying to make up the difference that they lost on the steps.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These prices sound right. I think the dealer is trying to pull a quick one on me. The truck that I agreed on getting was coming from out of state as a dealer transfer. He verbally went over the window options with me and they all sounded good. The next day I called him up to get the VIN for insurance purposes. I googled the VIN and found the vehicle. After looking at the window sticker I found that the vehicle here got had the 3.08 gears. He was well aware that I needed to tow around 9000#. This vehicle was enroute, fortunately for them I caught it. I almost backed out of the deal but they were able to find another truck that had a sticker price of 2k more. They absorbed most of the difference and my payment went up slightly, 6 bucks. I was still pretty displeased, so they threw in a set of running boards for 350. Maybe they are trying to make up the difference that they lost on the steps.

Sounds like it. If I were you, I would look to line x or rhino liner.

Mike

$450-$500 in the southern NH area. I ended up going with the GMC dealer installed drop in liner (I dont use it a ton) along with a dealer installer, three piece folding tonneau cover. Got a solid deal as a package so couldn't complain too much!

I finally installed my WeatherTech bedliner last weekend. The installation was easy enough and can be done solo. I do recommend following the instructions of unrolling it and letting it sit in the sun for an hour to flatten out and fall into form. Mine is already relaxing itself into a tighter formation from sitting in the sun after installation. Overall I'm happy with the product. It definitely is not slick like the hard plastic drop-ins. The backing/underside is rubbery and pliable. The liner surface is also semi-rubbery and will prevent cargo from sliding freely as happens with the plastic drop-in style. The material seems durable enough for the average user. The kit ordered directly from WeatherTech with shipping was $249.

The only drawback is they should've provided more fastening points via the Velcro attachment discs that come pre-attached to the liner. I think it would've made sense to have about 6 more on the bed portion and 4 more on the tailgate piece. I tend to over-engineer projects when I do them but I honestly think this would've been better with the additional fasteners. Cost would've been nominal. I don't anticipate it'll be a problem down the road but if I were installing another one I'd probably add a few more myself.

This liner only comes up about 4 inches on the sides of the bed so it's not a complete tall liner. However, it'll cover my usage needs and still allow paint to be visible on the majority of the bed sides/back. With the upper rail protection from the factory it'll prevent cargo damage side-to-side just fine.
See attached pics if you're curious how it looks. These were taken right after installation and it has form-fitted itself tighter since then.post-125665-0-75597700-1388483894_thumb.jpgpost-125665-0-23455300-1388484321_thumb.jpgpost-125665-0-14521600-1388484396_thumb.jpg

post-125665-0-75597700-1388483894_thumb.jpg

post-125665-0-23455300-1388484321_thumb.jpg

post-125665-0-14521600-1388484396_thumb.jpg

I also put a WeatherTech bedliner in my crew cab, longer box truck three weeks ago. It is staying in place and doing well. The surface is more "grippy" than the previous polyethylene full bedliners my previous trucks had, so that the hauled stuff in place better. This same grippy-ness also means it is a lot harder for me to slide something along in the bed, too. I can live with the harder to slide aspect as I prefer to have stuff stay in place.

Ditto on pliable and grippiness. I installed mine in September when it was still hot outside here (Austin, TX) and noticed it did relax a lot in the hot sun. I left mine open in the sun while cleaning the bed. The low profile allows me to use the Bull Ring retractable cargo hooks in the bed slots without any issues. I also have the Bakfilp VP, so mine is covered most of the time. So far very pleased with it.

I'm really lost on deciding what bed liner to choose. From one hand I like to have a liner with grip so whatever I put there will not slide allover. From the other hand I need it to be smooth as those plastic liners (had it on my old f-150) because sometime I pick up palettes of tile and the forklift lay them at the edge (tailgate) and then slide the palette in, those pallets are heavy and are made from rough wood so I assume some liners will not work well together.

It worked great with the plastic liner I had on my f-150 but I'm afraid a plastic liner will not work with a tonneau cover well.

I'm trying to decide on what combination will work best and will appreciate any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have extang tonneau cover that sits on the top of the bed rails with the GM drop in liner and have no issues. The only issue I have is that my tonneau cover doesn't seal well on the bed rail behind the rear cab window. I believe this is because the sides and tailgate have the bed rail caps the rear dose not. It lifts the cover ever so slightly that the seal doesn't make contact with the bed rail along the rear window. It give it a gap and wind gets under the cover making it flap a lot. I'm going to try some thick weather stripping to see if that solves the problem.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Had the same issue with an Extang on my '11 Silverado. Got molding at Home Depot that is used to seal a bed cap and it worked just fine. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived