Assist Steps / Running Boards / Nerf Bars

I just replaced my nerf bars. I thought I could pull them off, clean up the rust, prime, paint, and get a couple more years out of. No such luck. First bolt loosened, then tightened back up after a few turns. I put an electric impact wrench on it, and well .. it turned. Tore it up. Rusted worse than I thought. So I removed them completely and considered leaving it that way. I thought it looked pretty good without them, nice clean look. But I found myself falling out of the truck every time I got out without them. Muscle memory? I replaced them. Same bars, just new.

DSCF0257.JPG

DSCF0252_Small.thumb.jpg.256482c10496cabe71328fa45e675e27.jpg

DSCF0259_small.thumb.jpg.35d56dad17ab7d2a6eacc7c497d10464.jpg

DSCF0263_Small.thumb.jpg.d09241bcc68b8e4c2f38d653c2d22c80.jpg

Edited by revmanii

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra slt Texas edition. Didn’t come equipped with the electric running boards but bought the oem factory ones from someone I met. I been looking around for someone who can wire them up for me, my issue is I can’t seem to find anyone to do it. They say I need the harness, which I don’t have . I’ve taken the running boards to gm & they inform me there’s “no way” they can do it unless I buy the “whole kit” from them. I’ve also went to other professionals who “specialize” in that area, but I’m getting the same response from everyone.that since my truck did not come equipped with the electric running boards my truck does not have the bdm module & can’t be done.. but I did find something on YouTube where a guy in a similar situation installed some factory running boards on his truck which did not come equipped with them.. he made his own harness & did his thing ‘ they work perfectly fine.. can anyone give me some good & simple feedback on this issue, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, Bossplaya Los214 said:

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra slt Texas edition. Didn’t come equipped with the electric running boards but bought the oem factory ones from someone I met. I been looking around for someone who can wire them up for me, my issue is I can’t seem to find anyone to do it. They say I need the harness, which I don’t have . I’ve taken the running boards to gm & they inform me there’s “no way” they can do it unless I buy the “whole kit” from them. I’ve also went to other professionals who “specialize” in that area, but I’m getting the same response from everyone.that since my truck did not come equipped with the electric running boards my truck does not have the bdm module & can’t be done.. but I did find something on YouTube where a guy in a similar situation installed some factory running boards on his truck which did not come equipped with them.. he made his own harness & did his thing ‘ they work perfectly fine.. can anyone give me some good & simple feedback on this issue, it is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

contact pgamboa on here 

Since I already have the electric running boards (but no harness) it doesn’t make sense for me to spend even more money on buying another set if I already have the running boards. I feel since it’s just an electrical wiring situation, it makes more sense to just find someone who knows about the topic.. 

• 4 weeks later...

After having the ICI magnum RT steps I’m replacing them and selling for cheap. 

Im really not a fan of the 2:drop down step look thought I wanted something different but turns out I hate them. 

Step itself is too small

step is made too far forward 

i was able to pick up the Westin thrashers for 458,00 waiting for their arrival. 

• 4 weeks later...

i bought the GM branded step bars for my 18 crew cab (same bars that came on the real tree edition silverado)

i used as much copper antisieze on the bolt threads as i could and smeared 5th wheel grease on all the speed nuts and contact points between frame and board brackets.

I had to pry out 4 black plastic caps in the side of the frame to slip the speed nuts. Do i just leave these out or should i modify them to make them fit again?

On a sid enote i got some of the tube caps thats supposed to seal the tube crossmembers in the rear of the frame - are these a good idea or do these just trap moisture and cause rot?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...