What have you done to your K2 today?

26 minutes ago, jscottl said:

Which is normal operating temps.

Don't ya just love the word?

'Normal'

It can mean anything you like it to mean. Pre 1960 or there about, automatics hadn't a cooler. Between then and 2014 they have one unregulated. Now regulated. Dexron VI has been around since 2005 and used both regulated and unregulated 6L80E's. Also backwards compatible. So it isn't the transmission that makes a temperature 'normal' and it isn't a requirement of the fluid either. Normal then just means 'whatever I say it is" and I in this case is both GM and Ford. 

"Normal" in my little world is the temperature that keeps her alive and well the longest and that is something under 180 F / 82 C. 

"Normal" to most others it what is "expected". I just expect more than most other folks. 

And I don't think I expect to much.

🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Don't ya just love the word?

'Normal'

It can mean anything you like it to mean. Pre 1960 or there about, automatics hadn't a cooler. Between then and 2014 they have one unregulated. Now regulated. Dexron VI has been around since 2005 and used both regulated and unregulated 6L80E's. Also backwards compatible. So it isn't the transmission that makes a temperature 'normal' and it isn't a requirement of the fluid either. Normal then just means 'whatever I say it is" and I in this case is both GM and Ford. 

"Normal" in my little world is the temperature that keeps her alive and well the longest and that is something under 180 F / 82 C. 

"Normal" to most others it what is "expected". I just expect more than most other folks. 

And I don't think I expect to much.

🤔

I see people ask “what’s the BEST…?” All the time. Like what’s the best tire or cam or brake pads….. well “best” for 1 person isn’t gonna fit “best” for another…. 

smh. 

19 hours ago, CajunFries said:

I see people ask “what’s the BEST…?” All the time. Like what’s the best tire or cam or brake pads….. well “best” for 1 person isn’t gonna fit “best” for another…. 

smh. 

Yes. Context matters doesn't it? Best is a 'quality' word much of the time but it can also be as you make note a "Fit" word. Like what fits ones personal budget best.   But that is more a question of means than quality. Or it can also mean, what fits an application best as in what tire is best for a Rock Crawler would be different than a a Slalom car or Drag Truck. And then there is the appearance of Best. Wood veneers made of vinyl adorning the interior of a Caddy that is trying hard to appear a Rolls. And finally "what I like" best. That one tickles me when asked. How would I know what you like best. :) 

Robert Persig wrote a book trying to explain quality. "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". 

Greed and Marketing departments have taken advantage of what seems a grey area to many in a force fit grading system. Good, Better, Best. 

I knew a gal once upon a time that worked for a manufacture of automotive ignition systems. Their idea of Good Better Best was the exact same unit with a different colour plug each representing a warranty length and a tripling in price from Good to Best. Easy way to keep track of their lies. I took that to mean that the Best was at minimum 3 times more likely to fail over a 'lifetime' than the Good model. :)

When people ask these types of questions a few lines of CONTEXT goes along way in getting a useful answer and avoiding so much bickering...right? 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

The strive for quality left the building a long time ago. Now its all about the bottom line and peoples pockets more often than not. How far can we stretch, how many corners can we cut to lower the absolute cost to the company but get it to last "just long enough." Then blow smoke up a customer's rear to get them to believe somehow they just did them a favor.

• Like 2

Swapped the stock thermostat for a Katech 174 degree one. Saturday will be a transmission service then a wash. Currently waiting on a retractable tonneau cover and bed extender. So next week will be fun also.

Update: Well, drove it around town taking my daughter to work. Still sits at 210 degrees. Guess it can only do so much when the feels like is 109. 

Update 2: The feels like is down to 93 and it still sits at 210. Guess changing the thermostat out isn't going to help my engine be any cooler than it was with the stock one.

Edited by Byrds8
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Byrds8 said:

Swapped the stock thermostat for a Katech 174 degree one. Saturday will be a transmission service then a wash. Currently waiting on a retractable tonneau cover and bed extender. So next week will be fun also.

Update: Well, drove it around town taking my daughter to work. Still sits at 210 degrees. Guess it can only do so much when the feels like is 109. 

Update 2: The feels like is down to 93 and it still sits at 210. Guess changing the thermostat out isn't going to help my engine be any cooler than it was with the stock one.

1.) That gauge in the dash is less than accurate.

2.) Around town? A radiator is a fin fan heat exchanger than requires "AIR" to cool. Fans are factory set about 215 F so.....no air, no cooling.

3.) Only living things respond to 'feels like'. LOL Kind' a in da name 😉 

Try reading directly from the ECU via the OBDII port....and find some air. Highway? 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

2.) Around town? A radiator is a fin fan heat exchanger than requires "AIR" to cool. Fans are factory set about 215 F so.....no air, no cooling.

Try reading directly from the ECU via the OBDII port....and find some air. Highway? 

When I was on stock tune, it doesn’t matter if my T-stat was a 160… fan doesn’t kick on until wherever stock is set at anyway. All it’s doing is opening sooner. On my Trinity T2, the temp can be about 15 degrees off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Me getting around town has stretches of roads that hit 45 and 55 so she did get some air. I knew the fans still didn't kick on til later still. That will be taken care of when I get her tuned after the warranty is up. As for the feels like, I thought it had more to it than that. I understand non living things cant feel but I figured its like wet bulb temps that actually take into account humidity and such for a more accurate temp. Its all good though I can still learn new things lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Byrds8 said:

Me getting around town has stretches of roads that hit 45 and 55 so she did get some air. I knew the fans still didn't kick on til later still. That will be taken care of when I get her tuned after the warranty is up. As for the feels like, I thought it had more to it than that. I understand non living things cant feel but I figured its like wet bulb temps that actually take into account humidity and such for a more accurate temp. Its all good though I can still learn new things lol.

Only if the moisture can evaporate...It's the liquid to vapor state that does the cooling. When you do a wet bulb the amount the temperature drops tells you how much water was already in the air. The more there is in the air the less can evaporate from the bulb. Now if you were spraying water on the radiator...that IS different. That is what you thinking. 😉 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, CajunFries said:

When I was on stock tune, it doesn’t matter if my T-stat was a 160… fan doesn’t kick on until wherever stock is set at anyway. All it’s doing is opening sooner. On my Trinity T2, the temp can be about 15 degrees off. 

On my Linear Logic Scan Gauge II the scaling is expanded. 160 F on the DIC is 100 F actual. 210 F is about 210 F but it stays on 210 F from 200 to 220.

My Riesch Racing 170 F stat is holding 177 F and the DIC is showing just above the next lower line which is about 200 on the DIC. 

BTW it normally runs 173 F. 

IMG_0111.thumb.JPG.33e9d7a934dec07fb420669365b06371.JPG

Edited by Grumpy Bear

When I get my truck back this afternoon, Ill see if the cheap scan tool will show temp. I have a SCT tuner also that probably would for sure but sadly, I didn't un-marry it from the Camaro before I sold it so its just a big paperweight now lol.

• Like 1

Apparently the small reader I have does not have a temp gauge on it for coolant. I can see the cats apparently though. Not sure how useful that would be over the engines temp.

So the SCT X4 I have will still read codes and gauges etc. Guess I just cannot tune the truck with it. Granted, DoD isnt tuned out I just use a Range so not sure if that will have any affect on heat when in 4cy mode. I would assume it would since its only working half as much. However, when riding around today, It did not hit over 187 even idling. The analog gauge at the time was almost at 210 then. So I assume it probably wouldn't go over 190 running around. This was with it being 91 outside. I guess Id call that a win. LOL.

On a further note, for what I did today, she got a bath and the inside cleaned as well. Also took the cheap tailgate cap off and put OEM on it. Serves me right to buy that off Amazon. Sat too tall compared to the sides.