What have you done to your K2 today?

Mine look purple when they first come on until they heat up and then look pretty close to my HIDs. I don't feel like they do a good job as far as a fog light though. More of just an aesthetic type of thing

Tonight was my first time with them, wow, what a huge improvement. I couldn't tell if my fog lights were on or off before, now it's very noticeable. I think they are a tad high but maybe you should try adjusting your up a bit? The light thrown to the sides is a much greater.

Mine look purple when they first come on until they heat up and then look pretty close to my HIDs. I don't feel like they do a good job as far as a fog light though. More of just an aesthetic type of thing

Tonight was my first time with them, wow, what a huge improvement. I couldn't tell if my fog lights were on or off before, now it's very noticeable. I think they are a tad high but maybe you should try adjusting your up a bit? The light thrown to the sides is a much greater.

Let the wife drive her home from Boston yesterday (so I could check the brakes on her car). Damn my truck looks good!!

Glad to see Im not the only one to do this when driving another car near my truck!

• Like 2

I have read the first 623 pages of this thread, added a couple of your mods to my list from the <$50 Mod thread, and have a few questions. No links/quotes, have lost my cheatsheets during the last week or so that I have been reading this thread, in my spare time.

1) Having never messed with PlastiDip before, so I used it on my "cargo management system," from page 614-615, figured I'd use it on something that is kept more out of sight/mind, in case I screw it up. As I was coating the board that I used for it, the PlastiDip seemed to come out more clump that spray, rattle-can. Is that normal?

2) Gamboa, puddle light mod, grey wire in #1 to #8? Which wire?

3) Cupholder lighting, I may add that one to my list, but need a parts list. What wire did you tie into? Anyone know the wire location to tie it into the "night light" in the overhead, under the dash?

Looking at wiring in some floor lighting, low intensity, with "night light," and bright floor lighting with the dome light.

Was going to PlastiDip my bowties, but my wife had bought me some black inserts. The instructions with them said that I need to drill the gold one out. Thoughts?

Edited by Ravenkeeper

hey Ravenkeeper

for you questions...

1 - plastidip clumpy - sounds like a bad/clogged nozzle. whenever i've used it it always sprays really nice and even (like any normal rattle can)

2 - i'll leave that to Gamboa

3 - for my cup holder lighting i got some glow wire out of china - super inexpensive, it just takes a while to get to you. there is a spot you can tie into under the dash that gets power when the truck is on and only loses power once the driver's door is open. watch this video and at a little after 5 minutes the guy shows where you can get power....

for a ground, just find a bolt that goes to metal (i hooked on to one by the gas/brake pedals)

your idea for floor lighting... what i would do is do 2 separate systems. for the low intensity, just tie into the above mentioned power source and maybe put your LEDs on a dimmer. then have another set of lights tied into your overhead lights that will only be on when your doors are open (and of course with no dimmer). i'm not sure if it's possible to only use one set of lights with 2 different power sources?

with drilling out the bowtie - that is what i have heard, but i plasti dipped mine so i can't say for sure

• Like 1

Installed a driver's assist handle and the synthesis trim kit (23147678) on my 2017.

PSA!!!: The trim kit has restored my removable cup holder and triple USB ports!

post-173592-0-11512100-1498700953_thumb.jpg

post-173592-0-26988900-1498700955_thumb.jpg

post-173592-0-16713200-1498700958_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Installed a driver's assist handle and the synthesis trim kit (23147678) on my 2017.

PSA!!!: The trim kit has restored my removable cup holder and triple USB ports!

Looks good! Want to do this but they want like 200 for that kit. The wood grain is so fake looking...

• Like 1

I have read the first 623 pages of this thread, added a couple of your mods to my list from the <$50 Mod thread, and have a few questions. No links/quotes, have lost my cheatsheets during the last week or so that I have been reading this thread, in my spare time.

1) Having never messed with PlastiDip before, so I used it on my "cargo management system," from page 614-615, figured I'd use it on something that is kept more out of sight/mind, in case I screw it up. As I was coating the board that I used for it, the PlastiDip seemed to come out more clump that spray, rattle-can. Is that normal?

3) Cupholder lighting, I may add that one to my list, but need a parts list. What wire did you tie into? Anyone know the wire location to tie it into the "night light" in the overhead, under the dash?

Looking at wiring in some floor lighting, low intensity, with "night light," and bright floor lighting with the dome light.

Was going to PlastiDip my bowties, but my wife had bought me some black inserts. The instructions with them said that I need to drill the gold one out. Thoughts?

If your Plastidip came out in clumps, that is not normal. When this happened to me, the nozzle was clogged. When you're done using it, I've found holding the can upside down and spraying it for a couple seconds will clear out the nozzle so it's empty and you'll have good spray when you use it next. If you bought the can new and it's clogged, try that trick and see if it clears it up. Alternatively, I think it suggests on the can you can soak the nozzle in paint thinner or something similar to clean it too. Don't poke it with a pin though.

Looks good! Want to do this but they want like 200 for that kit. The wood grain is so fake looking...

Yeah, agree that the price is high. I was going to screw around with vinyl wrapping the wood grain but I had a moment of budgetary weakness and put the order in last week. Finish obviously looks great, and getting the removable cup holder back is a real bonus. I missed that from my '14.

Hoping I can sell the stock wood grain trim kit and recoup a bit of the cost...

• Like 1

Yeah, agree that the price is high. I was going to screw around with vinyl wrapping the wood grain but I had a moment of budgetary weakness and put the order in last week. Finish obviously looks great, and getting the removable cup holder back is a real bonus. I missed that from my '14.

Hoping I can sell the stock wood grain trim kit and recoup a bit of the cost...

I just vinyl wrapped my friends wood trim and honestly it's a nightmare... I agreed to do it for free what a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you wanting to do with the Puddle lamp? Do you want it to follow your dome light? If so, here is a pic.

20a5c29a6bdde51a252c3166fd78d409.jpg

• Like 1

hey Ravenkeeper

for you questions...

1 - plastidip clumpy - sounds like a bad/clogged nozzle. whenever i've used it it always sprays really nice and even (like any normal rattle can)

2 - i'll leave that to Gamboa

3 - for my cup holder lighting i got some glow wire out of china - super inexpensive, it just takes a while to get to you. there is a spot you can tie into under the dash that gets power when the truck is on and only loses power once the driver's door is open. watch this video and at a little after 5 minutes the guy shows where you can get power....

for a ground, just find a bolt that goes to metal (i hooked on to one by the gas/brake pedals)

your idea for floor lighting... what i would do is do 2 separate systems. for the low intensity, just tie into the above mentioned power source and maybe put your LEDs on a dimmer. then have another set of lights tied into your overhead lights that will only be on when your doors are open (and of course with no dimmer). i'm not sure if it's possible to only use one set of lights with 2 different power sources?

with drilling out the bowtie - that is what i have heard, but i plasti dipped mine so i can't say for sure

If your Plastidip came out in clumps, that is not normal. When this happened to me, the nozzle was clogged. When you're done using it, I've found holding the can upside down and spraying it for a couple seconds will clear out the nozzle so it's empty and you'll have good spray when you use it next. If you bought the can new and it's clogged, try that trick and see if it clears it up. Alternatively, I think it suggests on the can you can soak the nozzle in paint thinner or something similar to clean it too. Don't poke it with a pin though.

bc-chris & silveradosaver,

I didn't think it should, I may have bought a bad can. I bought it the day before I started to use it. My dad taught me to always hold the rattle cans upside-down for a short spray to "keep the line clear," when I was little. After the first partial coat, I cleaned the sprayer, since it was building up. Did a purge, shook the hell out of it (some more), and finished the first coat, was still clumpy, but not as bad.

What are you wanting to do with the Puddle lamp? Do you want it to follow your dome light? If so, here is a pic.

20a5c29a6bdde51a252c3166fd78d409.jpg

Gamboa,

I'm wanting to do the puddle-dome light mod. Is that pins 1 & 8? Stripe toward 8?

• Like 1

bc-chris & silveradosaver,

I didn't think it should, I may have bought a bad can. I bought it the day before I started to use it. My dad taught me to always hold the rattle cans upside-down for a short spray to "keep the line clear," when I was little. After the first partial coat, I cleaned the sprayer, since it was building up. Did a purge, shook the hell out of it (some more), and finished the first coat, was still clumpy, but not as bad.

Gamboa,

I'm wanting to do the puddle-dome light mod. Is that pins 1 & 8? Stripe toward 8?

You may want to exchange the can then. I usually grab a can off the shelf from the back, because the number of people who take the first can and feel the need to spray it to "test" it in the store is unreal. May be what happened in your case.

• Like 1

plasti-dip takes some practice to get the spray pattern you want usually you can change the finish/end result by either doing light or heavy coats as well as how far away you hold the can.

• Like 1