Modification Cadence - Exhaust, CAI, Tune

Good afternoon all, :flag:

I've been putting in some quality homework time figuring out which modifications I would like to move forward on for my '14 Sierra A.T.

I'm quite confident at this point I am settled on a Flowmaster catback dual set-up, AFE or Airaid CAI, and a nice tuner (still deciding on model...BB, Diablo, couple others)... 3 of probably the more popular mods of course. Money is a factor for me, so I am more realistically plan to do these 3 spread out throughout the year.

I haven't seen or found any info regarding what is, if there is, the best cadence or order do these mods? I am leaning towards tune last just because I am still paranoid about doing that to a new truck under warranty. I am pretty confident I can do catback and CAI without any risk of killing my warranty.

Oh yeah, and I'm still pretty new to this forum. Here's where I am at so far and I have been absolutely LOVIN my new Sierra! Traded in a 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche (which I do miss! :nopity: )

-2014 Sierra SLT All-Terrain double cab 4x4

-OEM black 6" oval running boards

-20" All terrain optional wheels

-Installed full BedRug ( <--highly recommend! ) and also a softcover trifold tonneau

Thanks

Congrats on the new truck. I also have a BedRug and love it so far.

The catback won't require re-calibration of your computer. If you choose to tune your truck, please have a qualified tuner do it, rather than using a handheld. Handhelds are good for gear and/or tire changes, but are hacks for fuel and spark calibration.

Congrats on the new truck. I also have a BedRug and love it so far.

The catback won't require re-calibration of your computer. If you choose to tune your truck, please have a qualified tuner do it, rather than using a handheld. Handhelds are good for gear and/or tire changes, but are hacks for fuel and spark calibration.

Agree. Find a good tuner.

Yes, I too agree, find a good tuner! In my opinion, the general acceptance of mod order is, exhaust, CAI, and then tune. My tuner talks about that all the time. He has tune three vehicles for me. It makes good sense to get the most efficient tune if you have the other mods first. I have a Denali 6.2L. Personally, I started with the 22" Magnaflow, single in, dual out cat back duals, then added the Airaid CAI System, then had mine tuned by PCM of NC. That process works great for me and the results are absolutely unfreaking believeable! I had the exhaust done within 24 hours of talking delivery, but had to wait for the availiabliity of a CAI sytem, then had to wait for the tune to get the necessary software for the tune.

Normally I would say it doesn't matter about using a handheld in a truck - it's a truck, not a performance vehicle and the parameters of what you can do w/ it compared to say a camaro or Chevy SS or vette are much more limited. For instance - my EXTREMELY reputable and well known GM LSx car tuner won't even bother tuning my truck OR his own - he used a handheld.

That being said, these new trucks are very different now w/ DI so in that case I WOULD lean toward a custom dyno tune rather than a handheld because I think there's more margin to screw something up w/ one of those hackjob handhelds.

I am leaving my tune stock for now until someone can recommend a legit tuner within 100 miles of me (MA) - to date I have not heard of any.

Normally I would say it doesn't matter about using a handheld in a truck - it's a truck, not a performance vehicle and the parameters of what you can do w/ it compared to say a camaro or Chevy SS or vette are much more limited. For instance - my EXTREMELY reputable and well known GM LSx car tuner won't even bother tuning my truck OR his own - he used a handheld.

That being said, these new trucks are very different now w/ DI so in that case I WOULD lean toward a custom dyno tune rather than a handheld because I think there's more margin to screw something up w/ one of those hackjob handhelds.

I am leaving my tune stock for now until someone can recommend a legit tuner within 100 miles of me (MA) - to date I have not heard of any.

Each OS has small nuances, but the capabilities are generally the same.

Each OS has small nuances, but the capabilities are generally the same.

I should have been clear, its not just the software calibrations but in gneral. I guess what he was getting at is the potential gains/driveability from a custom dyno tune on a 6L80E equipped Camaro w/ a custom tune vs. a handheld are much more significant than a truck using 1 vs. the other. Compression ratio, the size of fuel injectors/rails, the amount of torque mgmt dialed in, amount of timing you can add, how high you can raise rpm's/shiftpoints, camshaft profiles ETC ETC ETC all favor the "performance" oriented versions of GM's smallblock V8's vs. the truck platforms. There's simply more to be gained.

Particularly when you were talking about the last gen 5.3 iron block, the new one I'm sure leaves alot more on the table and that's why I said it would make sense to get a custom tune. Adding some timing, adjusting the AF ration, toning down the torque mgmt, and also tuning for 93 octane while adjusting the shift torque and shift points would all add up to a better performing/driving truck. I think this new generation of GM truck engines has alot more upside than the previous ones.

But, like I said, it seems with

Im not trying to start any sh/t, but really trucks aren't race cars. nascar trucks, truck pulls, off road truck racing. I have seen low 10s with a 4 wheel drive. Semi Truck racing. Now some people may say its cheaper to build a race car, but I have a 383 dart heads whipple S/C 92 chevy truck with AC I have 8500 dollars in. You can race anything really its ok. Just saying. Oh yea I have had real good luck with hand tuners, some you can custom tune with, it can be done. I had a diablosport on my trailblazer ss work good, real tunable. I know you cant race an suv.

I should have been clear, its not just the software calibrations but in gneral. I guess what he was getting at is the potential gains/driveability from a custom dyno tune on a 6L80E equipped Camaro w/ a custom tune vs. a handheld are much more significant than a truck using 1 vs. the other. Compression ratio, the size of fuel injectors/rails, the amount of torque mgmt dialed in, amount of timing you can add, how high you can raise rpm's/shiftpoints, camshaft profiles ETC ETC ETC all favor the "performance" oriented versions of GM's smallblock V8's vs. the truck platforms. There's simply more to be gained.

Particularly when you were talking about the last gen 5.3 iron block, the new one I'm sure leaves alot more on the table and that's why I said it would make sense to get a custom tune. Adding some timing, adjusting the AF ration, toning down the torque mgmt, and also tuning for 93 octane while adjusting the shift torque and shift points would all add up to a better performing/driving truck. I think this new generation of GM truck engines has alot more upside than the previous ones.

But, like I said, it seems with

For what it's worth, i wasn't necessarily advocating a dyno tune. Our trucks are at least a 1000lb heavier than the Camaro so a 5-8 rwhp will be even more difficult to feel in the SOTP. However, if "good enough" and "done correctly" are near the same price, I'll choose "done correctly" every time. Data logging real-world driving (or steady-state driving on a load bearing dyno) and making incremental changes is the only way to have it "done correctly" in my opinion.

For what it's worth, i wasn't necessarily advocating a dyno tune. Our trucks are at least a 1000lb heavier than the Camaro so a 5-8 rwhp will be even more difficult to feel in the SOTP. However, if "good enough" and "done correctly" are near the same price, I'll choose "done correctly" every time. Data logging real-world driving (or steady-state driving on a load bearing dyno) and making incremental changes is the only way to have it "done correctly" in my opinion.

I agree. But its more like 1500-1700 lbs! So again I ask- is there currently any place in my neck of the woods (new England) that has any idea what they're doing with these new DI 5.3 engines and the 6 speed?

If yes I'd pay for tune, but I'm not dumping $450 into a handheld thing. Felt like I wasted my $$$ w/ the super chips on my 07 silvy. Hell on my 04 GTO the difference in rwhp between going from my diablo sport tune w/ intake/exhaust to getting it custom tuned on a dyno followed up by street time was 12whp- and a lot more in driveability.

Im not saying ones better than the other, Im a do it yourself type of guy when I can. With my 06 trailblazer ss I got a diablosport. You could do and I did custom tune fuel and timing, shift points etc. I could also check my own 0 to 60, 1/4 mile times on the real world dyno, the roads I was driving on. It was a fun learning experience. Then when I was Super Stupid and broke something, I did a few times, put the stock tune back in took it to the dealer they fix it. I got real close to 12 sec 1/4 doing it myself had a blast. Cant see how there could been more in it than that with a tune, with the tables I saw, I don't claim to be an expert.

As I said before some people just don't want a Denali, for lots of reasons not just money. AS I stated before when I bought my 14 Texas package it was loaded with I wanted out the door for 32000. If there was in the state of Texas 6.2 like mine for 34000 I would have bought it period. Im comparing apples to apples. If I find one like that I would still do it take a small hit still come out a head. The 6.2 packages 13 or 14s where at lease 20000 more. I can do a lot of mods for that, that wouldn't affect the warranty. Where it matters to me performance not pulling, according to car and driver we are talking tenths in performance. So many areas to play with while not affecting warranty. Gear change for one, I have done gear venders that is wild.

Archived