Headlamp Housing - Condensation

Just had the new lamps installed along with the BCM flash. Lights are brighter, even the hi beams are good.

Downside I now have dark spots in the light beam. Looked at the headlights and can see where there might have been condensation that has since dried and left residue on the inside.

Back to the dealer tommorow

Other than replacement any way to clean these ?

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck one of the moisture packets someone mentioned earlier in each housing. They've been crystal clear ever since. The things are rated to cover 60 cubic feet per pack and last 6 months or so. I'll prolly just leave them in there until I see moisture again. Great idea for a flawed design!!

-Skeet

I'll probably end up doing this to prevent mine from fogging

Just had the new lamps installed along with the BCM flash. Lights are brighter, even the hi beams are good.

Downside I now have dark spots in the light beam. Looked at the headlights and can see where there might have been condensation that has since dried and left residue on the inside.

I think it's just the stock halogen projectors causing some dark spots. If you can post a pic of them we can try to see what's going on.

-Skeet

Make sure bulbs r in correctly

New headlight buckets and the dark spots are gone...

Also got the first dent out of the way thanks to the dealer.....

I'll probably end up doing this to prevent mine from fogging

You put a dessicant packet into a sealed bag of beef jerky, not automotive headlight housings. But of course, that's only applicable to normal quality headlight housings.

• Like 1

I bought a new 15 Sierra January 3rd and it was -40 Celsius out that day and when I picked mine up they were foggy! Driving for 3 hour drive home from the dealership did not clear them up either! After a few days it went away but if I parked in my garage or shop at work when I came out they were always foggy! I had to leave it at work one night because the whole light was full of moisture and would not clear. So took pictures and also drove it the 3 hour trip straight to the dealer to show them. They ordered new ones and installed them. Only took the tech 4 hours.... Plus the 45 min wait for them to bring the truck in. But they did instal them and when I went outside to pick it up, the new ones were also foggy.... Not as bad and have not left me stranded again. But the aim must be off, looks like it's cross eyed on drivers side and slightly on passengers side. so another trip for an alignment or maybe just do it myself.

I bought a new 15 Sierra January 3rd and it was -40 Celsius out that day and when I picked mine up they were foggy! Driving for 3 hour drive home from the dealership did not clear them up either! After a few days it went away but if I parked in my garage or shop at work when I came out they were always foggy! I had to leave it at work one night because the whole light was full of moisture and would not clear. So took pictures and also drove it the 3 hour trip straight to the dealer to show them. They ordered new ones and installed them. Only took the tech 4 hours.... Plus the 45 min wait for them to bring the truck in. But they did instal them and when I went outside to pick it up, the new ones were also foggy.... Not as bad and have not left me stranded again. But the aim must be off, looks like it's cross eyed on drivers side and slightly on passengers side. so another trip for an alignment or maybe just do it myself.

Headlights only adjust up n down, if it looks cross-eyed, I'd check make sure the bulbs are seated properly, sounds like there not locked in properly

Its nice to see that your dealer is responsive to your issue.

However, unless GM has made design changes to the housing you will most likely continue to experience condensation issues.

It appears that the housings do not incorporate a venting system. Without a vent there is no way for the internal pressure / temp. to equalize with the outside air.

Cooler air on the outside / Warm moist air on the inside = CONDENSATION, simple physics at play.

Hey guys,

Looks like I got it pretty bad. Its been like this for a week now. Contacted my dealer today and hopefully they will replace for me.

Got my truck brand new in August of 2014. Not a single issue with the headlamps until this spring. We've finally seen some decent weather here (St. Catharines, Ontario) and ONLY my passenger side is affected...

I'll keep you posted with that happens.

image1.jpeg

I stuck one of the moisture packets someone mentioned earlier in each housing. They've been crystal clear ever since. The things are rated to cover 60 cubic feet per pack and last 6 months or so. I'll prolly just leave them in there until I see moisture again. Great idea for a flawed design!!

-Skeet

I had a slight moisture problem when I changed my bulbs. Hasn't been back. Where do you put the packets at? If you open the twist off cover and drop them down in the housing then how do you get them out??

I had a slight moisture problem when I changed my bulbs. Hasn't been back. Where do you put the packets at? If you open the twist off cover and drop them down in the housing then how do you get them out??

Twist the dust cover off and slid them under the projector. To remove, just twist the dust cover off and pull them out. The ones I got are marketed for gun safes and are rather large, so you don't have to worry about them sliding way back in there. They aren't like the little ones that come in beef jerkey, you can see their size next to the key fob. Here's some pics of what I've got. I got an10 pack off amazon and paid more or about the same for shipping as I did for the packets themselves lol.

5e4d89d2dcd45877431505b8d2ee0aa3.jpg57c8be73f827fada7a76e9a1ef644372.jpg107a31bd5768ba864d107e88420fd8e9.jpg

-Skeet

Edited by SkeeterMcSkeet
  • Like 1

Twist the dust cover off and slid them under the projector. To remove, just twist the dust cover off and pull them out. The ones I got are marketed for gun safes and are rather large, so you don't have to worry about them sliding way back in there. They aren't like the little ones that come in beef jerkey, you can see their size next to the key fob. Here's some pics of what I've got. I got an10 pack off amazon and paid more or about the same for shipping as I did for the packets themselves lol.

5e4d89d2dcd45877431505b8d2ee0aa3.jpg57c8be73f827fada7a76e9a1ef644372.jpg107a31bd5768ba864d107e88420fd8e9.jpg

-Skeet

That looks exactly like the ones I have got. I took them out after like a month, seems to be fine now. Even after a hot pressure wash, no moisture showing. I did caulk the grommets for my HIDs though.

• Like 1