Why would you want this?

The benefits lack practical value, IMO.

There are an unlimited number of scenarios where the "key" ends up a long way from where you drove. It happened to me in my wife's Flex. If I sound like I hate this system, that's an understatement.

+1 ... wife and I have a rental car.... she dropped me off somewhere .... drove off and I had the key in my pocket. Also happened another time in a friends car ..... the whole system is stupid IMO

OP: Seems like it would be a major project to add such after market. It will be an option some day and then standard. I drove a rental for a month with such and found it nice not to have to dig a key out of my pocket each time using the car. Maybe a code over ride system like the unlock feature on Ford doors would help with the above posters issues.

I think it would be convenient for me as i'm the only one that drives the truck. Specially in the winter like right now can just remote start then hop in without having to dig through my pockets for the keys.

My last car had it and I loved it. Never had to take keys out of pocket to unlock or lock doors, start the car. It was very nice feature to have but I would assume it would be very expensive to add this to your truck. It would also cut down on my keys hitting the steering column, which is very annoying.

Our Tahoe has the push button. It's one of the most awesome features of the truck. I understand why people have concerns but if it's your daily driver then you simply don't forget your own key in your pocket. I did accidentally forget to leave it for the carwash attendant once but its not like I went too far.

My Silverado is actually the first car that I own WITHOUT push to start, but I like it. There's something comforting about hearing the engine turn over when you switch the key on a truck. On my lazy days, I admit, I miss it. I completely miss intelligent entry too... I never had a problem with it- it's always been simple to me, don't forget your key if you intend to drive your car. Common sense right?

I wonder if you can integrate a push to start system meant for like a Cruze or Terrain into our trucks.

I had push button on my last car, it was nice. I liked it. The proximity entry was nice too.

My dad's Ram has it. I'm sure the GM twins will see it eventually. The SUV's already have it.

That said, probably not something that is easily added on.

I have push start on my other car and I love it. No keys making noise and don't have to find your keys to start the vehicle. You are in and out quicker. It can't be that expensive and I can't see why the GM trucks don't have it. GM just wants to charge you more for the truck and will add it in with a price increase in the future. Auto companies don't like the hanging keys anymore after GM recent troubles and law suits.

I'll be glad when the update is more known to the service departments at all the dealers. As of yesterday afternoon, my dealer service dept. still has not found any information on this particular bulb / reflash update. They did tell me to bring my truck in and they would install the latest Philips 9012LL HIR2 bulbs that they were supplied with this week from GM parts. But it is the same exact bulb that is currently in my truck, so I don't believe that is going to help me any. I may wait until I can get more detailed information from off this thread so I can share it with my dealer ........

That system is easily $500 per vehicle with the proximity entry.

For every "fix " to the issues with the key/vehicle separation issue, there are many negative effects.

It's a back alley trinket designed to take your money.

Maybe the next gen will have a chip in your butt so you can't separate the key from the vehicle

Everything has gone this direction....first we were too lazy to roll up our windows, then it was amazing to unlock our cars with a remote. Then we couldn't take all the effort it took to put a backseat down and needed a push button for that, now we can't open a tailgate normally without waving our feet. Can't be bothered to actually turn my head around and use the windows to backup! OMG I have to push the button twice to change the radio station, didn't want to have to reach to do it. It's no wonder cars cost what they do now. lol

Since Doobs mentioned it, the fob hitting the column and shifter is the worst! I put some fuzzy side velcro on the column and the bottom of the shifter and finally found a place that sells fob covers for our model year, which took forever. High-end motorsports was the name of the online place I got mine from. No more banging, hope that helps.

We've had/have it on our cars, it is fine but it is not a game changer in regards to me listing it as a must have.

With that, I doubt it will be easy to put in. The columns are usually different, will need BCM programming, will need some hardware. I could easily see this being a $2k upgrade in the end.

Archived