GMC Canyon, Chevy Colorado Rated Most Fuel Efficient Trucks

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-39983300-1447099063_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
11/09/2015

It's official. Chevy and GMC announced today that the Duramax diesel Colorado and Canyon models will be the most fuel-efficient pickup trucks in the U.S. market. Without further ado, here are the numbers, and they apply to both trucks. These numbers are per the EPA, which scrutinized the trucks for emissions compliance before granting approval.

4WD Colorado and Canyon Models: 20 MPG City / 29 MPG Highway / 23 MPG combined

2WD Canyon and Colorado Models: 22 MPG City / 31 MPG Highway / 25 MPG combined

post-139450-0-53442600-1447099043_thumb.jpg

In case you were wondering how these stack up to the Ram 1500, the 2WD Ram has a rating of 20 MPH City / 28 MPG Highway / 23 Combined. A V6 gasoline-powered Canyon or Colorado with 4WD has a 17 MPG City / 24 MPG Highway / 20 MPG Combined Rating. The efficiency advantages to the diesel are real. Even when adjusted for a higher average price for diesel the Duramax will likely still be ahead ion terms of fuel economy (fuel cost per mile) as well.

Range with the dual tanks in the trucks is also amazing. GM says the trucks can go 651 miles (maximum) without refueling. The cost adder for the Duramax over a V6 truck is about $3,730. Obviously that buys a lot of regular unleaded. Luckily, the Duramax has advantages beyond just fuel efficiency. Towing being the most notable. One aspect of which is smart diesel exhaust braking. This type of braking enhances vehicle control and reduces brake wear by reducing the need for breaking on downgrades according to GM.

Duncan Aldred, vice president of GMC Sales and Marketing commented on the Duramax trucks, saying, “GMC's Canyon is designed for those who want a smart-sized premium pickup that is quiet, capable and efficient and the new Duramax diesel engine gives customers another choice for handling heavier work and recreational needs – while doing it efficiently. It’s the very definition of GMC’s professional grade ethos.” Sandor Piszar, director of Chevrolet Truck Marketing offered up his two-cents, saying, “The Colorado Duramax diesel is in a league of its own. Colorado’s gas models already led the segment in fuel efficiency, and the new diesel – which no other non-GM competitor offers on a midsize truck – gives customers even greater freedom to go where they want with fewer fill-ups.”

The Canyon we drove recently was loaded and had an MSRP of $45K. Expect shipments to dealers to begin any day.

I'm seriously considering downsizing to one of these after they've been on the market for a few years and we get all of the kinks and recalls worked out.

I'm seriously considering downsizing to one of these after they've been on the market for a few years and we get all of the kinks and recalls worked out.

Id consider one too, wonder about towing capacity?I wish they'd put the 4.5 in the 1500.

Tows as much as my 4.3 Sierra, gets 7mpg more on the highway, very interesting indeed but, not enough to get me into a midsize truck I love a big vehicle too much.

30 would have been fondant on the icing on the cake for the 4x4 models. 29 is some tasty icing on that cake though...mmm mmmm.

just imagine if they mated the diesel with the 6 Speed Manual; it would have gotten EVEN BETTER Fuel Economy, and that would have had both the Fondant AND the Cherry on top!

Right now at current fuel pricing, that is great news. If we get the wicked pricing we had just a few years ago, even with the higher fuel economy, the cost per mile may not be any better than the gassers. Still, putting the 2.8L I4 diesel in these pickups was a smart move. Should have been done years ago. As to whether a manual would have delivered better fuel economy compared to the auto trans, that depends on the driver. In heavy commercial semi's, the Allison TC-10 automatic delivers nearly 7% better fuel economy than a manual with the same driver hauling the same loads over the same routes. I shift too much as it is now fighting 18 speeds all day long for 135,000 miles a year. After several decades of it, I will only consider automatics in any personal vehicle, and my next semi, if I get another one, will have an automatic too.

But driven right, one should be able to beat the EPA numbers with that 2.8L diesel. The 2.8L diesel I had in a 2006 Jeep Liberty, the EPA highway number was 27 mpg. I consistently got 32 mpg or more on highway trips with it, as did my son when he bought it from me.

Archived