Seat belt recall?

There is NO provision for not cutting the flaps in the campaign. To do the campaign correctly the tech must cut the trim. I get that this a crap fix, but the fix is what it is. And to the earlier post, cutting the trim is not to gain access. The tensioner and cover need to be removed to install the "pusher bracket".

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the previous post I went back out to my truck to make sure that I hadn't missed any hard to see cuts on the trim. I used a flashlight and did a careful comparison with the passenger side and sure enough - No Cuts​ in the trim. The new seat belt recall bracket is obviously installed and, as I previously described and as shown in the photos a couple of posts back, the flaps have been pushed aside, one up and one down. There is plenty of room for the bracket to move if it needs to.

Neither the recall notice or any of the back up information on the NHTSA website say anything about cutting the flaps. The recall notice says "your GMC dealer will enlarge the side shield opening, install a pusher bracket on the tensioner, and if necessary, replace the tensioner assembly." I'd say my installation is proof that, although it might be a bit more trouble to install, that the opening can be enlarged enough to accommodate the new bracket simply by pushing the flaps aside.

No way I'm taking mine back to have the flaps cut and I wouldn't even think about having this done if my dealer were going to cut the flaps and do the kind of totally crappy job shown on the photos in this thread. If most of the 895,232 trucks involved in this recall get butchered like some of the posts show GM is in for a well-deserved rough ride. Seems like they could get this straightened out with some better instructions to the technicians doing to the work.

All this for something that's only a problem in the first place if you repeatedly scrape your butt across the seat belt getting into the truck and damage the tensioner. One more reason to be glad I installed the driver's side assist handle - don't need to scrape anything getting in and out.

So I just had mine done. It was cut. Looks fugly. I'll clean it up indeed. I don't understand the necessity to cut it. Plenty of room for the flaps. Kinda stupid if you ask me. Oh well..

Wish that I had read this thread before I took my truck in this am. While the cuts are better looking than some I see on this thread it still pisses me off that GM would authorize such a shitty repair. Has anyone complained and got the new truck upgraded parts installed after the hack job and Sooperdave how are you going to clean it up ?

Poor Poor Poor quaility on a 30,000+ vehicle.

Yotaman

Wish that I had read this thread before I took my truck in this am. While the cuts are better looking than some I see on this thread it still pisses me off that GM would authorize such a shitty repair. Has anyone complained and got the new truck upgraded parts installed after the hack job and Sooperdave how are you going to clean it up ?

Poor Poor Poor quaility on a 30,000+ vehicle.

Yotaman

Post #19 in this thread claims his dealership is replacing the whole side piece.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/190371-happy-with-your-seatbelt-recall-fix/page-2

The dealership survey came in the email today so I fillled it out a gave em 1 star and explained my issues with the hack job. Be interesting to see if they contact me they always seem so worried about good surveys. Although in this case GM is who came up with this cane knife fix in the first place so I gues they can't hold the dealer to resposible if customers complain about it.

Man, I cannot believe the butcher job when I got my truck back. I sent the following to the dealership. I'll post the pics when i figure out how to do that.

"I had my truck in for the subject recall and have to say I am very disappointed with the appearance of the remediation. I couldn't see the pictures, vey well, on your computer screen but can't imagine they looked anything like the attached. The first two pics are of the drivers side recall repair and show a poorly cut/jagged gaping opening. Also, now that this guard has been cut out, debris can easily fall into this location and will be very difficult to clean out. This seems to only have caused more of an issue and is ugly to boot. Please tell me this can be repaired better then what you can see in these two pics. The third pic is of the passenger side, which is what the drives side looked like before the butcher job shown in the first two pics. Please let me know what can be done about this."

I see others are having the same issue. Please let me know if there is anything being done about this shameful remediation.

I think bprob56 has a point - the large hole created by cutting away the material that originally prevented debris from falling into the seatbelt mechanism is now open for all sorts of stuff falling in there - could that create a future safety issue?

I just took my truck in. I did not let the dealership perform the recall. I inquired about the cutting of the flaps and the service director showed me the instructions and the instructions detail the cutting of the flaps. Not on my truck I said. A little info for the rest of you.

• 1 month later...

Update ! I emailed Mary Barra a few weeks ago and a assistant called and in a nutshell said tough luck the seat is safe. I email her about once a week now telling her about other people with GM products and their issues and talking up Toyotas and Fords, etc just to jam up her email but that is besides the point......Anyone know if we can buy the plastic part that has the rubber flaps ? what is it called and how much ? how hard to replace ? I may try to go that route but the attitude of GM over this has lost me as a customer. When I get rid of this one, and it may be a while, I am going back to Toyota.

Yotaman

Update ! I emailed Mary Barra a few weeks ago and a assistant called and in a nutshell said tough luck the seat is safe. I email her about once a week now telling her about other people with GM products and their issues and talking up Toyotas and Fords, etc just to jam up her email but that is besides the point......Anyone know if we can buy the plastic part that has the rubber flaps ? what is it called and how much ? how hard to replace ? I may try to go that route but the attitude of GM over this has lost me as a customer. When I get rid of this one, and it may be a while, I am going back to Toyota.

Yotaman

Before you decide to go that route read what GM claims can cause this potential failure, and determine with the way you (and whoever else if any, drives your truck) enter and exit, and see if there is even a reason for concern. For me personally, I don't come in contact with the seatbelt at all entering and exiting my truck.

DETROIT – GM is voluntarily recalling 895,232 model year 2014-15 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 pickups in the United States because the flexible steel cable that connects the seat belt to the vehicle can fatigue and separate over time as a result of the driver repeatedly bending the cable when entering the seat.

Wow, you'd think that GM could come up with a better solution. If I had to have this done, and it looked like that, I think I'd have to drive the truck through the showroom window. There's no reason for a modification to look that bad.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived