Denali cluster in SLT

I need some troubleshooting help on an WAMS upgrade I did in March of this year. Let me be clear that this is not a WAMS issue, but a GM issue. 

I have 2015 Silverado that I upgraded to the digital cluster and CarPlay/Android Auto HMI Radio. I had great service and everything has been working fine.

Yesterday, I got into the truck and the 8” screen was black. There was no logo flashing up as typical on the cluster or the screen. The radio is not playing and the cluster states Audio Off. None of the USB ports are live. I have pulled the RDO fuse (to reset HMI) and also tried disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes. No change.

I am trying to determine my next troubleshooting steps. I am planning to reconnect the HMI connector (to make sure it is not loose). I also have my old HMI, but I am unsure if I should try it.

I am open to next steps/thoughts.

Thanks,

Chip

Start with swapping your old radio first that’s the MOST bus master then you can swap hmi if need be. It’s not too bad to troubleshoot if you have spare parts :)

Thanks, Chris. I will start with the radio  tonight since I do have all of my old parts.

Sounds like a plan. I don’t have records on me but if you got the car play parts from us they are still under warranty.

Did you have anything plugged into the USB similar thing happens to my boss. He has a iPod he left plugged in the dealer said that’s what burned out his. HMI or so they say but he has the same issues.
I also know these trucks have gremlins I drove to work one day with no sound blinkers nothing. Left work and it was back to normal. Another time went to a store I had no steering wheel controls or phone. Left the store it worked fine idk. I have the Denali cluster to but it’s def a gm thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Update:

I removed the CarPlay radio and hooked up my old radio. Hooked up the battery and everything came back to life.

Shutdown the truck and unhooked the battery. Replaced my old radio with the CarPlay radio. Hooked the battery back up and once again everything came back to life.

My assumption is that the MOST bus must have locked up and never got the power all of the way off the system for it to reset. Removing the device completely must have done the trick.

Chris, thanks for the suggestion and guidance. Definitely saved me a lot of trouble.

Jaychevy81, good suggestion. I didn’t have anything hooked up other than my phone for CarPlay. Maybe that freaked the bus out somehow. I appreciate the info. It may have had something to do with it.

Chip

12 hours ago, chipchildress said:

Update:

I removed the CarPlay radio and hooked up my old radio. Hooked up the battery and everything came back to life.

Shutdown the truck and unhooked the battery. Replaced my old radio with the CarPlay radio. Hooked the battery back up and once again everything came back to life.

My assumption is that the MOST bus must have locked up and never got the power all of the way off the system for it to reset. Removing the device completely must have done the trick.

Chris, thanks for the suggestion and guidance. Definitely saved me a lot of trouble.

Jaychevy81, good suggestion. I didn’t have anything hooked up other than my phone for CarPlay. Maybe that freaked the bus out somehow. I appreciate the info. It may have had something to do with it.

Chip

No problem man anytime!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I have reached out to WAMS with a few questions on making the cluster swap for my 2018 Silverado. I plan to trade-in the truck in 3 years or so, and it will be paid off. Do you guys think that when I go to trade it in then, that the dealer will give me a problem since I've made several different little mods to the truck?

I forgot to ask, on the infotainment center, does it show the GMC or Chevy logo?

• 3 months later...

I cracked the very thin clear cover to the cluster on my 2017 so I bought a used Cluster with the exact Part number and took it to get re-programed at the dealer but they are having issues programing it ,  I thought it would be a quick deal in / Out  but they kept the truck over night waiting to hear back from a "Sensay Guru" programmer out of another dealership somewhere else. So I'm going to fix my cluster (plastic see through piece) and see if I cant  Recoup some monies back by selling it. 

2 hours ago, 2017GMCSierra6.2 said:

I cracked the very thin clear cover to the cluster on my 2017 so I bought a used Cluster with the exact Part number and took it to get re-programed at the dealer but they are having issues programing it ,  I thought it would be a quick deal in / Out  but they kept the truck over night waiting to hear back from a "Sensay Guru" programmer out of another dealership somewhere else. So I'm going to fix my cluster (plastic see through piece) and see if I cant  Recoup some monies back by selling it. 

Should have just bought the cluster lens thru WAMS..

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/k2-denali-cluster-lens/

On 1/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, 2017GMCSierra6.2 said:

Yeah they cant do it and if its the dealer that just contacted us today you need to get the truck back and contact us. 

Holy cow there is a ton of information on here. (And a lot of people wanting to sell lol).

Not sure if this is the right place to post.. But here it goes.

-2015 PPV Tahoe  I checked the sticker in the glove compartment and it has the VV4 option on it so I'm assuming its the 2015.5?

-I currently have the stock I03 radio which can't do anything in the process of finding a replacement on Radio from CrutchField and wondering what are the chances that the radio will show up on the Denali Cluster or if only the stock one will do that... Hoping to spend closer to 500 than 1200.

*I know I don't own a truck but there is a lot more info on this site!  

*Yes I read through all 81 Pages. Confused if I'm supposed to email GTPprix on the weekend or weekday or whenever lol but figured I would ask here first. Maybe @cmatt knows something since hes a Tahoe Wiring guru

Edited by Goalie94
missed info

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 6:30 PM, GTPprix said:

Yeah they cant do it and if its the dealer that just contacted us today you need to get the truck back and contact us. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:41 AM, GTPprix said:

Sounds like a plan. I don’t have records on me but if you got the car play parts from us they are still under warranty.

I have all the parts for a 2014/15 apple car play/andriod auto and Denali cluster upgrade.  I recently totaled out my 14 GMC Sierra SLE that I had previously upgraded (thanks to this webpage).  I took out all the upgraded parts and replaced them with my stock parts.  If anyone is interested in completing the full upgrade/swap please let me know.  Of course, like we've all read, the parts will have to get programmed to your VIN.  Thanks!

John Kirby

Edited by John Kirby
updated information