Did You Hear About Ford Trucks' Delay Due to 10-Speed? Not True

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-32690000-1481568831_thumb.png

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12-12-2016

Last week the news that the Ford Raptor and F-150 were being delayed due to the new 10-speed transmission co-designed by Ford and GM was tempting. GM-Trucks considered bringing that news story to our readers, but when possible, we like to keep the news upbeat and not dwell on minor negative issues. We also didn't have any source from Ford on the matter, so we would have had to trust what others were saying. We're glad we held off. It turns out the news wasn't true.

TechTimes printed a correction and points out that the essence of the story, that the trucks were not shipping, is just wrong. They are, and were at the time of the story. The new F-150s and Raptors are arriving at dealers already. Mike Levin of Ford is credited with issuing the formal statement from Ford on the matter, correcting what many reported.

Lets forecast some complaints with future 10 speed. Was heading to town with wife and got stuck behind someone doing 50 mph. Finally got chance to pass and floored it and it shifted violently from tenth to fifth. It was violent boys and threw wife back in seat so sudden it ruined her hairdo. Even worse it vibrated and chattered shifting from fifth to eighth. Pulled back in lane and let off and it clunked shifting into ninth and then hit tenth with a pronounced Bang.

Way too much going on for a ten speed. It's all about fuel economy, so whether it's a 4-6-8-or 10 speed, I don't think it matters. My '08 5.3 runs awesome and prolly gets close to the same mpg as new machines but with less to break down. And a less expensive repair if it does

Way too much going on for a ten speed. It's all about fuel economy, so whether it's a 4-6-8-or 10 speed, I don't think it matters. My '08 5.3 runs awesome and prolly gets close to the same mpg as new machines but with less to break down. And a less expensive repair if it does

Well I called dealer complaining and he said bring it down. Dealer could find no faults or codes on computer and tech took a five minute ride and reported it appears fine. Man oh man I wish I had my 6 speed back!!. Yeah it was a little quirky but nothing like this new ten. 56,000 and a wife ready to divorce me .

Wouldn't trust it. I have an "08" Arcadia with a 6 speed and Ford also purchases that same trans for some of it's SUVs. In 100K miles it's been nothing but trouble. Had to be repaired 9 times of which 2 of them was a total rebuild and GM is well aware of the problem but won't do anything about it. If they can't get a 6 speed right how are they going to get a 10 speed right????

Wouldn't trust it. I have an "08" Arcadia with a 6 speed and Ford also purchases that same trans for some of it's SUVs. In 100K miles it's been nothing but trouble. Had to be repaired 9 times of which 2 of them was a total rebuild and GM is well aware of the problem but won't do anything about it. If they can't get a 6 speed right how are they going to get a 10 speed right????

An ex coworker had an Acadia as well and he had a good bit of transmission trouble also.

I've heard horror stories about the new transmissions, i've also heard a lot of praise coming from people who are purchasing aftermarket tunes for their silverados... Maybe it's the tune GM is putting on their vehicles.
They might be tearing up their own transmissions trying to meet EPA regulations and crap like that.

If auto makers could make any existing technology meet upcoming numbers from EPA, they would not be changing things. If they could get a CVT to be less mechanical than it is, that is where the gains are to be made. I hope both GM and Ford are aware that they will need to properly instruct the customer on how a 10 speed transmission works. If you think a 6 speed shifts a lot, a 10 speed shifts 4 more times on every start off. Customers are going to have to learn to ignore the shifts.

Archived