pulling power of GAS 6.0 2500hd --- not impressed

I towed an Arctic Fox 22H (around 5800lbs) up and down the Oregon Mts and even into MT with relative ease with my 07 2500 with the 6.0L. The only time I had problems was with some poor gas on a hot day while towing. The problem it caused was the engine detuned itself to manage the ping. The resultant loss in power caused a very slow an arduous trip between the Tri Cities WA and Spokane. Like others have said, the engine loves to rev - I often climbed hills in 4th gear @ 3500-4000 RPM doing between 55 and 60. I could even accelerate and pass other rigs on hills.

• Like 1

I towed an Arctic Fox 22H (around 5800lbs) up and down the Oregon Mts and even into MT with relative ease with my 07 2500 with the 6.0L. The only time I had problems was with some poor gas on a hot day while towing. The problem it caused was the engine detuned itself to manage the ping. The resultant loss in power caused a very slow an arduous trip between the Tri Cities WA and Spokane. Like others have said, the engine loves to rev - I often climbed hills in 4th gear @ 3500-4000 RPM doing between 55 and 60. I could even accelerate and pass other rigs on hills.

Not to derail thread but how's the 17 L5P Duramax? Anything you miss vs the 6.0?

Not to derail thread but how's the 17 L5P Duramax? Anything you miss vs the 6.0?

Just completed my first tow with it and the only thing I miss is...........

Nothing - the Dmax pulls like a mother, the exhaust brake retards on the downhill and the MPG is great - I am now towing close to 8000 lbs in the form of a new 31' TT Pulled the coast range this weekend set the cruise at 60 and it held that speed uphill in 5th gear and downhill with the EB and an occasional down shift to 4th. The revs hardly ever went above 2000. Ave MPG for the trip was 11.8 and the truck has less than 1000mi.

• Like 1

Yeah,something isn't computing. Either yor expecting to much,like a magic carpet ride while towing, or something might just be wrong with the truck. That trailer loaded to the gills shouldn't make the truck feel that underpowered. My 2016 regular cab has pulled 8k lb trailer with no problem, sure it was there, but keeping up with traffic wasn't an issue.

Sounds like the trailer brakes are stuck or dragging some... Can you take the wheels off the trailer and see if anything is wrong or even borrow another trailer to see if any different?

The dealer can help if codes have popped up...what grade of gas are you using or brand? Bad gas is around so it may be just that.

Sierra Boy

Edited by Sierra Boy
  • Like 1

It was mentioned about the gear ratio. Even 3.73 is a big jump from 4.10.

The take off power would definitely be noticeable.

Check the mfg code numbers. If i recall correctly, GT4 would be 3.73, GT5 would be 4.10. Dealer could decide it for you also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wow my 03 Dodge 2500 5.7 pulled like crap. Always hunting for gears revving high to maintain speed on hills. this was pulling a toy hauler max GVW of 7500lbs. Bought a 1500 GMC 5.3 and it pulled so much better, The only thing the Dodge had over the GMC was weight. It just handled the trailer better but that was to be expected as the Dodge weighed a lot more. Now I have a 2016 2500 6.0 and I haven't towed the toy hauler with it yet but I am sure it will pull better than the Dodge did.

Even if he did have 3.73 gears they wouldnt make that much of a differance pulling that light trailer and if the trailer brakes were dragging they would be smoking hot. Try disconnecting the trailer brakes to take that out of the question. Hell pulling that trailer is like a great dane playing tug-o-war with a hamster to the truck.

Who knows the brake controller might be working backwards in the computer, applying the brakes on the trailer when the gas is pressed I've seen strange things happen in computers.

Edited by Silverado4x4

Just to reiterate what others have said, these trucks pull great. I pulled my travel trailer to Yellowstone last summer, around 7,500 pounds loaded + truck full of gear and family, and pulled through the mountains just fine. Only 1 time I could not maintain the speed limit.

The OP is kind of right, Dodge does not use much torque management on the hemi vs the GM 6.0 with tons of torque management and a tight torque converter that stays locked.

A tuned 6.0 will feel like a Hemi, the stock Hemi vs a stock 6.0, the 6.0 will out pull it all day, the Hemi sounds mean and feels mean but the 6.0 gets it done.

Use the throttle more aggressively in your truck and rest assured you bought the best HD truck on the market.

• Like 2