8 speed trans, reprogram

I just wanted to share my recent experience. My '16 had the occasional hard shift at low speeds, and the occasional weird shift in traffic, but it wasn't terrible...the last month or so it seemed to get a little worse, but wasn't crazy. I had a few warranty issues I needed to take care of, so when I tool it in, I asked them about checking the transmission program and see if anything needed to be updated or whatnot.

I get my truck back later that day, and I kid you not, it drives better than it was brand new (granted it only has 25k miles) but even just in traffic and around town and slow speeds...I didn't think I had it bad, but that reprogram did wonders!

My point of this is, that many of you probably already did this...BUT...i have heard and read tons of threads about the 8 speed and people hating it...I would recommend taking it to the dealer whether you think you have a significant problem or not just to see if you are due for a program upgrade.

Mine didn't cost anything due to warranty, but before they changed it, I think it had like $98 beside it...I assume if you took it in just for a trans reprogram that would be close to the charge (but I'm not 100% sure).

Anyway, good luck if you have some weird issues, my experience has been very positive with the 'upgrade'!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the number of the Update? The reason I ask is that it could help members on here . I had one of the updates but it only helped the delay shifting into reverse . The update seemed wrong to my according to the number it was for a corvette. My trans could shift way better

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

What was the number of the Update? The reason I ask is that it could help members on here . I had one of the updates but it only helped the delay shifting into reverse . The update seemed wrong to my according to the number it was for a corvette. My trans could shift way better

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

good point. I will check out my dealer printout and see if I can find out the code and relay that info tonight or tomorrow.

I have a 2016 with 5.3 engine and the 8 speed. About 2 weeks ago I took it in for harsh shifting 1-2 when cold. They performed the TCM reprogram, and I completely agree with the OP's comments. Its like a new truck! So much better and drives like an 8 speed Silverado should. Much smoother operation, and also corrected other annoyances that I didn't report as problems. For example, throttle -> coast -> throttle -> clunk.

My invoice says "SET UP TCM PER TSB 15-NA-007" and "PROGRAM CODE S3CC9, SET UP CODE FD57A"

Funny I have taken my 2014 six speed in two times and the service writer just gave me a blank stare when I asked about software updates. He commented , we have a lot of complaints about the transmission!!

I just had mine done last Friday. Its a night and day difference. I went in for oil change and they asked me if they could do it. So I went for breakfast with the wife, came back, and presto, like a new truck! No more hard shifts.

I just went to Chevy today and took a test drive with a service rep. Of course it didn't have any issues when I was driving with him. They told me there are no issues and nothing they will do.

I didn't see this thread before I went in...

Is this a recall? Or just go to the dealer and ask for the 8 speed reprogram? Can they look up your VIN to see if its already done?

for me, i just asked...i told them its been shifting harder than it had been...the guy said, even though my transmission guy is out, we can still check the program and see if it is updated...so clearly a programming issue vs a mechanical issue, at least for me...

again, i just went in under the premise that i have 25k miles and wanted to check some stuff out while still under warranty...i am not sure if they can look up which one your truck has without going in, sorry.

I just went to Chevy today and took a test drive with a service rep. Of course it didn't have any issues when I was driving with him. They told me there are no issues and nothing they will do.

I didn't see this thread before I went in...

yep, i actually recorded a couple things (the transmission wasn't one of them) but just asked for more or less a computer check...if it is a dealer and under warranty, it is tough for them to at least not look at it...

Why can't there be an update for the 6 speeds with this similar issue?!?!?! :confused:

i'm not saying there is or is not...I just don't know...sorry...if you are having similar issues, I would take the same approach...I'm not like some of the guys on this site that can rattle off program numbers and just by experience know which codes to ask for and all that...I just went in and asked them to check the program/computer part out...

good luck, sorry i couldn't be a better resource...

Archived