Figured interest in guns and knives goes hand in hand so I put this here instead of off topic. 

Seeing that Michigan had legalized automatic knives revived my interest in them a month or so ago. Back in like 2008 or 2009 I visited Microtech for work and while I was there I got a quick tour of the place and ended up really wanting one of their knives but at the time they weren't legal in New Hampshire. They were legalized in 2010 but I actually didn't know that until after I moved to Michigan. Long story short I've bought a couple knives recently-

Microtech Ultratech:

a54josX.jpg

This is an out the front knife- you push forward on the switch and the blade pops straight out. Pull back and the blade retracts.

Microtech LUDT:

7zLv6vc.jpg

This one you push the button and the blade swings open. The button is also a lock, you press it to allow you to fold the blade. This is also the sharpest blade I've ever encountered. The knife was shipped in one of those plastic bubble wrap sleeves and once you pushed the blade through, it's own weight was enough to make it drop and cut the bag open. Both of these use M390 steel which means they'd probably have to go back to Microtech for sharpening but that's free anyhow. 

I carry the Ultratech on and off but since most of Microtech's stuff is limited production runs the idea of losing or damaging either one keeps them from being daily pocket knives. For that I've been using a Benchmade 940. Just the right size and while not assisted open, these Benchmades flip open and closed easily with a bit of practice. 

bn56n7n.jpg

Edited by MikeNH

Hey Mike.  I'm not into the "black" knives, but reading on some knife forums, they're getting good edges with ark and ceramic stones.  The forums seem to point to hardness in the 58 to 62 RC range.  The high chrome (20%) content makes for some slow going on natural stone.  I have some kitchen knives that have a lot of chrome and I just use a diamond lap on them.  I can get them plenty sharp with the diamond lap.  Your post reminded me I spent an hour sharpening kitchen knives this morning, since my wife informed me we'll be hosting Thanksgiving for the extended family.  All the helpers use every knife in the blocks.

Anyway...nice looking stuff you found there.  Makes me wanna find some new pocket knives.

Hey Mike NH, I share a simular passion for Micro tech and have owned a few, Scarab, LLC. I am actually looking to sell my UTX70 OFF currently. If you may be interested let me know if can send pics and more info

I am still using a Kershaw 8200GRY. Definitely not a "high quality" knife, but it is easy to open and close one handed, which is a priority for me. It also has a flathead/bottle opener, which I use as much as the blade. I've been looking for a knife with similar features and better steel for years, and never found one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I carry a Benchmade North Fork most days, the S30V steel stays sharp forever, which is great cause I suck at sharpening.  I usually just go to Cabelas these days tbh and let them do it for free.  Occasionally I'll switch it up and take my Buck 110 instead, the North Fork is definitely a better knife but the old school Buck is just so satisfying to use for some reason.

I take a Ka-Bar when I go camping/backpacking, that knife has been through some shit.  Definitely the most beat up one I own.

First was a Buck Knife then an original Leatherman PST when they first came out.  Used it every single day for ten years or so until someone stole them both.  Then got the bigger 4" Leathermans for utility work until they were lost and stolen.  Now have a couple of 3" ones for the girls and one for the truck.  Keep an original Ka-Bar for camping and when diving my Mk3 Mod 0; used it from cutting sheetrock, chopping down saplings to braining grouper.

Then about 4 or 5 years ago started making my own with the kids, bought some kits from Track of the Wolf with both Stainless and Steel Green River blades and put curly maple handles on them.  Arkansas stones keep them razor sharp and these we use everyday, even at the table and for prepping meals.  My wife loves the patina the steel blades take on from cutting vegetables and fruits and I concur.  Sharpening them is enjoyable and speaking of, it's time to pass them across the stones again.

Just a quick iPhone pic

From top left down

• Quartermaster Karambit
  • Benchmade 755 Shane Sibert MPR
  • Kershaw 2001 ST Rogue Automatic
  • Zero Tolerance 0350ST (Ken Onion design for both ZT)
  • Zero Tolerance 0350TSST S30V (tiger stripe)

Top right down

• 2X Spyderco Tenacious (car and truck knives)
  • Kershaw 1555 BW
  • Kershaw 2415 ST

Missing from photo, a Kershaw Tanto

knives.jpg

Edited by dave_clt

All the air travel I've been doing in the past few years just makes a pocket knife a problem.  Foreign country laws etc.. So, I just tossed my last knife in the kitchen drawer.  I think it was a limited edition bone handled Case XX Trapper 2 blade. It's around somewhere, but needs a new logo emblem.  Case repairs their knives, so I should probably send it in.

Sometime back about 8-10 years ago, I bought this limited edition natural bone handled Case XX Bird Hook knife.  I was quail hunting a lot and thought I'd use it.  But I breast my quail. 

20171126_085009.jpg

A few weeks ago, I was noticing that I haven't been carrying a pocket knife for a few years now.  So, I had a reason for a new knife.  I found a company called Queen Cutlery.  I hadn't known of this brand before.  But evidently, they have been around since the late 1800s.  They were advertising their blades as being D2 tool steel. While I like a Case XX knife shape and construction quality, I'm no fan of their stainless steel blades that don't hold and edge well.   I'm familiar with D2 steel as I used to be a toolmaker for a while. It has enough chrome in it to be pretty resistant to rust.  I found a 3 1/8" blade (4 1/4" closed) "Toothpick", dyed blue bone, a style I hadn't had, and ordered it.

20171126_083547.jpg

20171126_083641.jpg

Edited by Spurshot

• 1 month later...

Thanks MikeNH, I didn't know that Michigan had repealed its ban on switchblades! The repeal went into effect Oct. 10th and I was just up there at Christmas and left my Benchmade 3550 Pardue at home because I didn't know it! I took my Ken Onion designed Kershaw 1660 Leek instead.

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites is the CRK&T Crawford Kasper. Although it is a liner lock, it has a lever that locks the liner lock in place. Many locks fail under hard abuse. The spine is .15" thick which personally I prefer a thick spine to a thin one. The blade is 8Cr14MoV although not as "fancy" a stainless as many, it sharpens easily and holds an edge. As I have big hands,  the 5-3/8" handle gives me a firm grip. The two screws adjust the blade opening friction; find what you prefer and use blue thread locker.

The weakness, a coin can jam the blade.. The fix, carry coins in the other front pocket. :rolleyes:

One of the most important parts of choosing a knife is your preference for how you grip it and where you carry it also. Different grips (saber, modified saber, Filipino, ice pick, reverse ice pick etc etc) require different fighting styles.  Where you carry is the easiest, it is where you can put it into use the fastest. Same as shooting, practice, practice, practice.

My favorite fixed blade is a Sissi Puukko

http://northernbush.com/review-peltonen-sissipuukko-ranger-knife-m95/