Harsh Suspension, Tailgate too high

There has been an issue with the suspension on our new 2017 Silverado 4x4 ever since we purchased it, but we were hoping after we put some miles on it would settle down, it didn't.  I’m referring to its tendency to almost throw you out of your seat when going over large bumps on the highway at freeway speeds of 65-70mph, like entering or leaving the transition onto and off of freeway overpasses, where the pavement raises up slightly at one end or the other of the over pass. Depending on the severity of the rise in pavement, it almost causes the truck to loose control.  We wanted the smoothest ride possible and specifically did not choose the Silverado Z71 4x4 because the suspicion was reported to be stiffer for off road applications, now I hear the suspension on the Silverado Z71 4x4 and on the Silverado LTZ (non-Z71) 4x4 are identical, apparently the only difference in the two trucks is some difference in trim. 

Most of the time the ride in our Silverado is very nice, except going over bumps.  Also the rear of the vehicle is higher than the front ( and higher than my 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 which rode very smoothly). The taller tailgate on our 2017 Silverado makes it harder loading heavy items into the bed.

Is there anything that can be done to lower the rear of the vehicle level with the front ( I do not want to lift the truck), and allow a smoother ride?  Can the suspension or shocks be changed out for something that will absorb the bumps better and still give a comfortable ride? 

This is what I did for the same reasons you state. I LOVE IT. Expensive but....(page 18)

Two problems with these suspensions. Shock valve choice. The rear leaf design. Most after market shocks Band-Aid the leaf situation with some hideous amounts of rebound dampening out back. It actually works...until you run out of travel like on a washboard where they tend to 'ratchet down'.  

If you' re on the cuff then buy the best OEM aftermarket shock you can afford. Everyone has there favorites. Remove the rear spacer blocks and use a 1.25" spacer under the U bolt nuts. A stack of washers works fine. If it's in your budget Sulastic hangers make a step change that is price worthy IMHO. Lastly a good alignment to mid spec. Do not settle for just 'in spec'. Especially in castor. Mid to lower spec there. See my alignment sheet. The other end of the scale is what I did. You know have both ends of the scale. 

Another issue is rim size and tire selection. You have to decide what is important to you. Looks or ride. 

Archived