Help Needed,,,,

hello all , I purchased a set of the Tri-mode steps for my 2015 Sierra Denali and followed Phil’s diagram and made my harness but I cannot get them to work correctly. Thinking I maybe Have done something wrong I made a new harness checked it over and over and I bought a new module and to my surprise it continued  to do the same thing. When I enable them and open a door they slide all the way to the back. Today I had tech connect his computer thinking it might need to get flashed or programmed and after 4 hours he could not get them to work. I’m at the point where if I can’t  get them to work they are coming off. I would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance. 

Are both of the running boards doing this (driver AND passenger)? What if when they are retracted and you press the foot switch on the end of the running board, does it swing out to the rear position? If pressed again, does the running board fully retract? 

There is a Hall Sensor (basically a sensor that detects magnetic fields) inside each motor that senses the position of the running board. Not entirely sure what happens if these go bad or if these sensors are actually replaceable. I would think this is a sensor issue since the running boards do extend and retract, they just don't extract to the proper position when you open the door. 

As I said the Hall Sensor is inside each motor and needs to be wired up to the control module. Each Hall sensor uses 3 wires, a +5V Reference wire, a ground wire (or Low Reference), and the sensor output wire. These go to the X2 connector on the module (the 12-pin connector) and they occupy pins 1 thru 6 of said connector. 

On the motor assemblies themselves, there is an 8-pin connector for each, and the Hall Sensor uses three of the 8 connections (pin 2, 3, and 4). You can see these in the Upfitters Body Builders Electrical manuals for the Sierra 2016 and above. 

I would double check these wires are correctly pinned, as if they are not the sensor would not work to tell the control module where the running board position is. 

Good luck and keep us informed on what you find.

Xenawise 

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 10:32 AM, chicano_de_atl said:

Hey guys I have a set of running boards off a 2018 Denali for sale there in good shape. Located 40 min north of Atlanta I ended up selling my truck before I installed them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you still have these ? 

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested In a pair of the GM OEM TRI MODE BOARDS. for a 2019-2020 GM. I have a set. 

purchased them for my 2017 and was told they were my year. But when they arrived we realized they were 2019. 

only on the original truck for a few months. Very minor scratches. Great shape. 900$ plus shipping. Pictures to post soon 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/23/2020 at 11:06 AM, Corey H said:

If anyone is interested In a pair of the GM OEM TRI MODE BOARDS. for a 2019-2020 GM. I have a set. 

purchased them for my 2017 and was told they were my year. But when they arrived we realized they were 2019. 

only on the original truck for a few months. Very minor scratches. Great shape. 900$ plus shipping. Pictures to post soon 

So confirmed that the T1 steps are not compatible with our K2s?

• 4 months later...

After purchasing a set of power boards from a 2017 GMC, I contacted Phil for one of his harnesses.  After watching the video, decided to just contact him to do the install.  Swapped out the factory GM boards for the articulated boards on Saturday.  Went to Phil's on Sunday, one hour later they were working like they were always there.  The harness install looks factory.  Outstanding product and a very smart guy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Philntx said:

After purchasing a set of power boards from a 2017 GMC, I contacted Phil for one of his harnesses.  After watching the video, decided to just contact him to do the install.  Swapped out the factory GM boards for the articulated boards on Saturday.  Went to Phil's on Sunday, one hour later they were working like they were always there.  The harness install looks factory.  Outstanding product and a very smart guy.

Phil is the best in the biz! Looking forward to some pictures in the "what have you done to your K2 today" thread!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...