Delay in announcing 2019 Sierra/what's coming?

One of the many rumors is the Sierra will be announced sometime after Chicago auto show. Possibly it’s own event like the Silverado. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

Chicago? No way. Mary would be robbed and shot before they even get to the convention center with the new truck. Not good for GM stock holders. Houston Texas Auto Show is next week. Sounds like a prime target for maximum press coverage.

lol. Them trucks might have made it into the city but......there would not be a single piece left of them to take out .

11 hours ago, Foghorn17 said:

Maybe it's just me and my middle age senility setting in, but I cannot remember the General introducing a new Silverado and Sierra separated by the time frame we are seeing for the new trucks.  Just thinking out loud here.  The media has gone gaga over the new Ram's interior and level of top end luxury.  Could GM possibly be waiting to introduce a vastly different Sierra that ups the ante?  In other words could this finally be the time that badge re-engineering isn't the norm between the Chevy and GMC?  Probably not, but still makes for fun speculation.  Imagine about the time the new Ram is going on sale that GM rolls out a truly professional grade GMC that is a level above the already impressive 19 Silverado and anything else in the market.  Yeah I know I'm crazy.  But it does make me wonder why the delay in seeing the GMC.  Will they be the same truck this time, or does GM have something up its sleeve?  What do you think?

I think GM is revealing information slowly to keep interest up. They very well might have some features that they will be offering just for the Sierra. A panoramic sunroof or massaging seats or something like that. They're withholding power/towing/payload numbers and powertrain combinations to guard against Ford trying to one-up them before the trucks goes on sale this fall. Ford still has time to tweak their numbers just before the 2019 model year.

Apparently Ram is much closer to their release date with the 2019 1500.

9 hours ago, Loco-diablo said:

Where did you hear that? Sounds like misinformation. Why would that prevent/delay the announcement?
These don’t even go into production for another 6/7 months (Q3) they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd do well to ignore just about everything he says. People have claimed GMCs got more attention, better parts, etc since I was a kid. BS then and aside from some minor stuff on the current truck, BS now.

One of my buddies who sells Chevys said that GMC is next on the chopping block and that GM is considering moving to just two brands Chevy & Caddy.... I think that GMCs almost always look better than Chevys but, from a cost perspective I can see why GM would want to pair down like Ford has... Fiat has Chrysler & Dodge (Rams are still Dodges in my book) Toyota has Lexus, Honda has Acura, Nissan has Infinity and so on I think it's matter of time  before GM get's down to just two brands, this maybe the last Sierra reveal ever...

32 minutes ago, Imcrazy said:

One of my buddies who sells Chevys said that GMC is next on the chopping block and that GM is considering moving to just two brands Chevy & Caddy.... I think that GMCs almost always look better than Chevys but, from a cost perspective I can see why GM would want to pair down like Ford has... Fiat has Chrysler & Dodge (Rams are still Dodges in my book) Toyota has Lexus, Honda has Acura, Nissan has Infinity and so on I think it's matter of time  before GM get's down to just two brands, this maybe the last Sierra reveal ever...

Your buddy is full of it. GM isn't dropping GMC. GMC sells extremely well and the Denali line basically prints money. They aren't going anywhere.

2 hours ago, MikeNH said:

Your buddy is full of it. GM isn't dropping GMC. GMC sells extremely well and the Denali line basically prints money. They aren't going anywhere.

I have no idea if he is full of it, clearly GMC's sell well, I don't know enough about the dollars and cents of running a car company but, it seems to me having 4 divisions is kind of impractical for GM. I could be wrong.

13 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

So he's a salesman @ a dealership. It was a salesman that told a poster here that the GMCs get thicker windshields.

Saw this just now:

How General Motors Engineered the 2019 Chevy Silverado For Fatter Profits

Here's a quote related to what we were speaking of concerning a differentiated high level trim:  

GM hasn't shown the all-new 2019 Sierra yet (that will probably happen in March). But Ammann said that the new Sierra, particularly in its upscale Denali trims, is more "differentiated" from the Silverado than ever before.

With all this being said, I do tend to agree with f8l vnm (thanks for keeping us grounded) it is GM so I frankly expect to be underwhelmed, but we can dream.

I would not be surprised if they make even less options available in the ''work truck '' line . Hence no one but fleet would want the stripped work truck with basically no options available. Consumers would have no choice but to step up into higher trims. I know some savvy shoppers who are buying work truck optioned with a few niceties that keeps their purchase price down a little .

23 minutes ago, Foghorn17 said:

Saw this just now:

How General Motors Engineered the 2019 Chevy Silverado For Fatter Profits

Here's a quote related to what we were speaking of concerning a differentiated high level trim:  

GM hasn't shown the all-new 2019 Sierra yet (that will probably happen in March). But Ammann said that the new Sierra, particularly in its upscale Denali trims, is more "differentiated" from the Silverado than ever before.

With all this being said, I do tend to agree with f8l vnm (thanks for keeping us grounded) it is GM so I frankly expect to be underwhelmed, but we can dream.

GM is attempting to own the New York auto show apparently? Speculated or rumored release of a Cadillac XT4 or small cuv. A refreshed Camaro & the Sierra all at the same show? NY auto show begins March 30th. 

https://www.autoshowny.com/

While speaking of Camaro. I understand seeking higher profits for any co. However one of the issues for Camaro is the higher msrp vs competition. 

Per the Sierra. Unless they are going to a much more upscale interior, panoramic roof or something crazy along those lines? Not sure how they can differentiate it much more than what we have already seen in the spy photos. Both trucks roll down the same assembly line & Chevrolet customers will be infuriated if they are limited to what the Sierra can be optioned with. So am kind of thinking we have seen the extent of how it can be differentiated already. 

They better hurry predictions are that in 2030 the robots take over everything and vehicles will only be driven by automation. It will be illegal for a human (flawed organism)  to attempt to drive, they may put in like a fake steering wheel and brake pedals in for a few years to try to appease the masses.  Meanwhile I am really happy with this 17 Ultimate not sure what they can do to improve it much? Might just get a new one for the heck of it though around 2020 after they get some of the the kinks out of the new design.  Make it last maybe ten years and BAM done with driving anyway. 

Archived