Updated GM Accelerator Pedal Part Helped With Acceleration and Shifting

Like many of you, I was affected by the faulty high pressure a/c hose design on my 2014 Silverado. Fortunately for me it was only February in Texas and I barely needed it. Even more fortunately though, I still had 80 miles left on my CPO warranty so I didn't have to haggle with the dealer about repair costs. We'll see how long my condenser cooperates as I figure it's next to go on the A/C system. While my truck was in the shop the dealer loaned me a fully-loaded (of course) 2018 Sierra with a 5.3 for a day. Once I got over the Sierra having just about every bell and whistle my rig didn't have, I noticed just how good the acceleration was compared to my truck. So much so that I was convinced that GM had bumped the horsepower/torque ratings between 2014 and 2018. Once I verified that they hadn't, I went on a fact finding mission to figure out why this truck drove like a beast on acceleration while mine felt like a 4 cylinder. 

I had researched buying a pedal controller to see if that would help my lousy tip-in on acceleration but simply could not justify the cost. I did know that I was tired of the lackluster get-up-and-go of the first 1/3 of the pedal travel of my truck--especially after my experience with this peppy loaner. The first modification I made to my truck after buying it was to shim under the lower portion of the metal assembly that the accelerator pedal attaches to as I had been following this forum and knew it had been identified as a problem. I opted for using half of a clothespin which took 99% of the flex out of the pedal assembly, so I knew that was not my problem. Instead, I crawled under my loaner 2018 Sierra's dash and took a picture of the part number on the gas pedal assembly--it was GM# 23362231. Once I got my truck back, I peeked at the number on its pedal assembly and it was GM# 20972082. After some research I could not determine when this older number got superseded, but I knew if the price was right I'd buy the new part number and see if it helped my truck. I picked one up off a well known auction site for about $54 and installed it the day I got it. I waited almost two months to share this because I wanted to verify that it improved my acceleration for real and not just in my imagination. I can definitively say, for my truck, that the initial acceleration has improved noticeably. I will even go so far as to say that the low-speed transmission shifts that seemed to startle the truck into what I would call "panicked shifting" garbage-truck-style have improved about 80%. Once I get a my valves cleaned by a shop that has the BG cleaner I think it will accelerate like the 2018 I was loaned. 

The swap of the pedals is pretty simple. Two 10mm bolts on the lower left and upper right as shown in the attached picture. A 1/4 inch deep well socket with a small extension did the trick. The upper right bolt is a bit of a stretch but not too bad.I unplugged the old one and plugged in the new one and put the bolts back in. I did not do a side-by-side multi-meter test of these pedals to verify the voltages with pedal travel because I did not have an electrical diagram of the several contacts in the wiring harness connector on the pedals. I started to try and it was simply futile. So I just installed the new part and took it for a test drive.

To repeat, the new GM Part Number is 23362231 and it worked for my 2014 Silverado with the 5.3.

I hope that these results can be duplicated (and enjoyed) by you folks in the forum. I like my truck a lot better now since this "upgrade." If anyone else tries this, please report your results!

Pedal.jpg

Edited by zzach19
Update Procedure
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I updated my post to include a picture and procedure for the swap. As far as programming, mine was plug-and-play. Hopefully that is the case for everyone who tries it.

• Like 1

I updated my post again to help distinguish between the pedal assembly and the metal housing to which it mounts. It wasn't very clear before.

The pedals are identical on the exterior except for the part numbers. To more specifically answer you question though, the pedal assembly bolts to that formed sheet steel box that's notorious for flexing so unfortunately that problem remains. In my picture, which contains the new part installed, you can see that my clothespin is still in place. And it still does a great job of preventing most of the flexing. You really do get to see how cheap that steel part is with the pedal off. I wished I had a welder to stiffen it up when mine was off, it's ridiculously flimsy.

Edited by zzach19

19 minutes ago, GMCSierra99 said:

I wonder if this is the same part number for the adjustable peddles? Anybody know if this would be the same if you have the adjustable peddles.

Ok I think I answered my own question. This is from Rock Auto.

ACDELCO 23362231 {#20972082} GM Original Equipment Info  
Fits7,700 lb Vacuum Power Brakes; w/ Fixed Pedals (position of the accelerator and brake pedals can't be changed); 6 speed Automatic trans.
Or7,700 lb Vacuum Power Brakes, w/ Adjustable Pedals (position of the accelerator and brake pedals can be changed); EXCEPT DRIVER MIRROR AND SEAT ADJUSTER W/ENHANCED PERSONAL MEMORY(A45)
OrDRIVER MIRROR AND SEAT ADJUSTER W/ENHANCED PERSONAL MEMORY(A45), 7,700 lb Vacuum Power Brakes, w/ Adjustable Pedals (position of the accelerator and brake pedals can be changed)

I certainly understand waiting. I wish I had some additional information on what changed between the part #s. My old part wasn't defective by any means but something in the internals of the new part has made the initial throttle response less anemic. I do know that, given their recent shenanigans regarding superseded numbering, any change in a GM part must result in the issue of a new number. 

Edited by zzach19

The only other info I’ve been able to find on the new part number is noted in the description on GM wholesale direct website.

“...2nd design...Gold connector...”

Perhaps they updated the pedal position sensor.

Okay just found this thread and I hate to rain on everybody's parade but:

I have a 2015 LT with adjustable pedals.  Mine had the flex / bad throttle response issue since the day I drove it off the lot.  I shimmed the bracket and the response is much better.  I just checked my pedal assembly and guess what the part number as built from the factory is?

23362231   :sigh:

At least I know they started using the part on 2015s now. I certainly don't want the new part number to be seen as a panacea for acceleration complaints, instead I merely wanted to share my experience of improvement...however small. Hopefully another 2014 owner will try the swap and report. You 2015+ guys just don't know how good you have it, haha.

• Thanks 1

Okay just found this thread and I hate to rain on everybody's parade but:

I have a 2015 LT with adjustable pedals.  Mine had the flex / bad throttle response issue since the day I drove it off the lot.  I shimmed the bracket and the response is much better.  I just checked my pedal assembly and guess what the part number as built from the factory is?

23362231   :sigh:

What’s the build date of your truck? I have a 2015.5 Yukon (6/15 build date) with the 20972082 installed. The OE pedal assembly looks to have been manufactured in early 2015. The 2336231 I just installed tonight has a manufacture date of early 2017. I’m curious if that has any bearing on things. I’ll report back with my butt dyno results, but I don’t expect to see a difference.

d154fb0ea0eee099fa13e052d98edfa9.jpg

The only other visual difference I see is this additional decal on my original pedal assembly.

738da0a8c31daa0f09b15d072899fcaf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just for the heck of it I installed the new part number on my 2014 sierra with adjustable pedals. I will report back after a few days of driving around. If I do not notice much of a difference I will just return the pedal. I am thinking though that only the 14's will notice a difference since most already have the new pedal. Would maybe have something to do with how the truck was programed with the old pedal sensors vs the newer design. I am no expert but just trying to make sense of how it would make a difference if any. More to come.