2WD 01 1500HD towing question

New to this forum and need some insight. I recently picked up an 01 2WD 1500hd thinking the towing capacity was in the 9,000# range but after looking at the NADAguides it lists the 01 2wd model at 5000# max towing capacity. I purchased this thing used with 95k miles needing it to tow a LS swapped Nissan 350z to the drift track which weighs roughly 3500LBS on a flatbed car hauler weighing right around 2000LBS. Add a few sets of spare wheels, tools, and parts and I’m estimating I’ll be pulling around 6000-6500LBS total. The car is nearly finished and I’m looking to go to the track soon but now I’m second guessing my tow rig purchase. Is there anybody on here that can give me insight on how much they’ve pulled with an 01 2WD 1500HD? Looking at this NADAguides has me nervous, so any help on how much this thing will actually tow would be really appreciated. Not sure why the same year truck in 4WD configuration is listed at double the towing capacity...

Thanks for any help!

Edited by SlidewayZ350

10 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

You will be fine pulling it. I used to use a 1500 to tow a jeep and trailer and what not around. It should be fine. If you have brakes on the trailer, get a trailer brake controller. It will make a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweeeet thanks man I appreciate the reply! Started gettin nervous. Right on, the guy threw in his trailer brake with the purchase so that’s cool :D 

A 1500 will pull a vehicle and open car trailer with no issues. Now when you go to enclosed, larger trailer, bigger cars and things of that nature. Then you start getting into grounds of needing a bigger rig. But for what you are wanting to do, your truck will do just fine. ad5151a57da6d87f1885ae9ff741288d.jpg

I know it’s a total different animal, but my old f150 pulling buddies jeep jku on flatbad. Has some weight to it trailer was rather light as well.

13 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

The 1500hd has 3/4 Ton running gear, but with a smaller motor correct? You’ll be fine pulling it.

Yes it has the LQ4 6.0 with the 4L80E trans, and I believe it has 3:73 gearing in the rear end, would 4:10 be much of a difference?

A little more in low end. I have a 2011 2500hd with 6.0 and 6L90, 3.73 and 37s. I tow 22ft flat bed with side by sides or jeep or cars or what not on it. Tows fine. Now with the 37s it’s a dog. When I swap to 4.88 it will be a lot better. I would suggest getting some type of gauge for trans temps unless the HD already has one. Not sure if yours does or not.

8 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

A 1500 will pull a vehicle and open car trailer with no issues. Now when you go to enclosed, larger trailer, bigger cars and things of that nature. Then you start getting into grounds of needing a bigger rig. But for what you are wanting to do, your truck will do just fine. ad5151a57da6d87f1885ae9ff741288d.jpg

I know it’s a total different animal, but my old f150 pulling buddies jeep jku on flatbad. Has some weight to it trailer was rather light as well.

Word thanks for the reply brother. Your buddies Jeep looks damn clean! I originally bought an 01 f350 with the v10 to tow the setup, probably should have kept it but gas for that beast was insane with the lift and 35’s haha. I started kicking myself when I thought the 1500hd wouldn’t tow it, but I’m glad I’m hearing otherwise ??

6 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

A little more in low end. I have a 2011 2500hd with 6.0 and 6L90, 3.73 and 37s. I tow 22ft flat bed with side by sides or jeep or cars or what not on it. Tows fine. Now with the 37s it’s a dog. When I swap to 4.88 it will be a lot better. I would suggest getting some type of gauge for trans temps unless the HD already has one. Not sure if yours does or not.

Right on, I think I’ll look into regearing it for a little more low end then. And yessir it’s got a trans gauge in it. Glad I’m hearing that this thing will pull more than I thought, that NADAguides had me skeptical on the 01 2wd 1500hd lol

Slideway, if I'm reading Trailer Life's towing guide correctly they're showing 8300# as max tow weight for your setup, you might want to look there as you know more about your rig than I do. I'm guessing that the NADA guides took the easy way out or shortcut and just listed maximum  tow weight for the hitch/receiver, 5000# rating is pretty much standard for the GM factory supplied hitch/receiver.

13 hours ago, SlidewayZ350 said:

New to this forum and need some insight. I recently picked up an 01 2WD 1500hd thinking the towing capacity was in the 9,000# range but...

Your owner's manual says that your towing capacity is 8,300 pounds with a 3.73 gear and 10,300 pounds with a 4.10.  I am under the assumption that this truck is a Crew Cab with a Short Bed and 6.0 liter engine.

9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Your owner's manual says that your towing capacity is 8,300 pounds with a 3.73 gear and 10,300 pounds with a 4.10.  I am under the assumption that this truck is a Crew Cab with a Short Bed and 6.0 liter engine.

Right on man thank you for finding that. I wasn’t able to find anything else than than NADA website, I probably should have thought  to try and search for the owners manual though :sick: I think I’m definitely going to throw a 4.10 in there before the first track day just to get that little extra. And yessir it is the 6.0 crew cab short bed. Really appreciate the response Swath!!

• Like 1

I would drive it how it is and see how you do. You don’t really need to go from 3.73 to 4.10 just for what your pulling. If you swap gears, you’ll have to get a tuner to adjust speedo because it will be off. I’d try it out and see if you feel you need more lower end or not.

12 hours ago, garagerog said:

Slideway, if I'm reading Trailer Life's towing guide correctly they're showing 8300# as max tow weight for your setup, you might want to look there as you know more about your rig than I do. I'm guessing that the NADA guides took the easy way out or shortcut and just listed maximum  tow weight for the hitch/receiver, 5000# rating is pretty much standard for the GM factory supplied hitch/receiver.

Ahh okay gotcha, NADA is deceiving with those numbers lol. I appreciate the response big time Garage! Glad my little 1500HD will tow this setup. The Nissan has been a long project so I started sweating when I thought I wouldn’t be able to pull it 

5 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

I would drive it how it is and see how you do. You don’t really need to go from 3.73 to 4.10 just for what your pulling. If you swap gears, you’ll have to get a tuner to adjust speedo because it will be off. I’d try it out and see if you feel you need more lower end or not.

Right on! Yea I shouldn’t be towing much more than 6500# with this truck, and it’s also pretty much flat freeways to all 3 of the local drift tracks near me. No major hills where I’ll be going. Towed with my pops 06 duramax a couple times years back but this will be my first time towing with a gasser so I just haven’t been sure what to expect from it