I was recently wiring an aftermarket switch and the terminals got bent and the positive and ground leads made contact and after several sparks the visor lights went out, left brake light and blinker will not function, and left side windows (front and back) stopped working. There’s no power getting to it at all. Also when it’s dark and the auto sensor turns the lights on, when I apply the brake the instrument cluster backlight cuts off and lights up again when i let off the brake. Total electrical screw up and i found out that this is causing a serious issue. Started smelling burning rubber and metal both through the air vents and outside the truck while standing by it. I later found out it’s shorting and getting severely hot around the right side of the mega fuse connected to the battery. So bad that it’s melted the plastic on the fuse and the fuse mount, rubber around the ends of the wire is melted and the bolts have become brittle. I’ve since replaced the fuse, need to replace the fuse mount. Still need to find where the ground is. Here’s the tricky part, tested the continuity of all fuses inside the cab and under the hood. MOST fuses in the cab ARE NOT even getting power, yet some are. None of the fuses are burnt or blown in both locations. Under the hood, some are not getting power but most are. I’m not savvy enough to know what the issue is but my thoughts are the problem lies between the battery and the fuse boxes. Maybe a burnt wire causing the ground? Bad wires? I have no clue...can anyone help? Any ideas, solutions, has anyone dealt with this? Also the lock and unlock will not work, yet you can hear the relay clicking when you press the button on the front doors and on the key fob. The lights blink, and even the alarm sounds if a door is opened but they do not lock or unlock. Thanks in advance! P.S. this is causing the engine to cut off due to the wires connected to the mega fuse losing contact. As i drive, with enough rattle they lose contact, and I lose power and eventually the engine cuts off. I have to jump it off constantly and pray that I make it where i’m going. It rattles back in contact and then back out. So I need to fix this quick, it’s killing my battery and straining my alternator.

7581F9B9-27E3-40B2-9A78-500D2DE89907.jpeg

Edited by imperialbowtie09
Left some information out.

You have a serious electrical problem. I would start calling around to local electrical diagnostic shops and feel them out. One place will rake you over the coals, other places will actually try to help. Try to find someone that will put a "cap" on the price, or give you pointers for free. 

what did you have the switch you were installing connected to? there was no fuse inline? i would start on the circuit you connected the switch to since you said they made contact with each other. is this on your 09 1500?

Yes, this is on my 09 1500. It was connected to the accessory fuse #20 i believe in the fuse box inside the cab. No inline fuse. That was the first mistake i guess. In my mind since it was connected to the fuse, i figured that would have just blown but it didn’t. 

4 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

You have a serious electrical problem. I would start calling around to local electrical diagnostic shops and feel them out. One place will rake you over the coals, other places will actually try to help. Try to find someone that will put a "cap" on the price, or give you pointers for free. 

Yes i sure do, and i’ll ask around thanks! Hoping it’s not gonna break my wallet :(.

yes hard to say, could have shorted out internally the fuse block its self. you could have a shop trouble shoot by the hour or look towards a junk yard for a replacement fuse block. which ever is easiest on the wallet. 

for future reference, yes if you tagged to fused side on the fuse block you would have popped the fuse thats protecting that circuit. but you tagged on the constant(direct to 12v) side of that fuse port. i do not recommend that connection because you can push back the connector that makes contact with the fuse and intern need to buy a new fuse block again. there are plenty of accessory connection points you can use if you ask around. that junction block to left of brake pedal that you would plug a trailer wiring have accessory ports i would recommend.