So I am currently on vacation 300 miles from home. My truck is a 16 1500 Z71 and has about 33000 miles on it and all of the sudden driving on a flat surface grade braking will enable. The truck is also shifting randomly and violently. Sometimes when making turns in auto mode it will feel as though the 4wd system is engaged. Anyone else encounter these issues? Anyone might know what could wrong that I can fix real quick while I'm away?

Edited by Riki Knight
added truck year and model

Sorry to hear about your situation! I haven't experienced the grade braking engaging unexpectedly, but my transmission definitely acts up. It seems to be linked to my driving style. If I grandpa around drive the truck easy like I want it to last 15 years, it shifts like dog crap.

Example: One road I travel home is 40mph speed limit. I let off the gas for a red light up ahead, truck speed slows to 32-35mph, light turns green so I press my foot into the pedal just slightly as if I wanted to gradually speed back up to speed limit. The trans will downshift violently and whip your neck. It seems to happen randomly at other times, but mostly 30-45 mph and around downshifts.

In contrast, if I drive it like a race car (100% throttle leaving corners or red lights, 100% braking into corners or stops) it shifts just magically and it's quite pleasing. It flows from gear to gear, smooth as butter. Never a shortage in power, keeping you sucked back in your seat.

I can't help but wonder if they tailored the transmission design to that majority of ass-hat drivers that we all see everyday. It's a shame too because that's not how I want to drive at all. I'm mostly over here trying to beat my high score fuel mileage. I did 10 under on a 5hr drive a while back and averaged 27.2mpg. The only way to beat it is to grandpa around and I don't think this pickup was made for that. Oh, I also have a 2016 Silverado 1500 6-speed. 4WD double cab LT.

Edited by rudyb

Thanks for the reply. I do notice that the truck drives better when I drive it mad. I'm going to take it to the shop when I get back home. Yesterday it acted just fine... it's really weird. How did you manage 27mpg?! At best I get 19 on our 5 hour trip each year.

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes. That will reset all the computer stuff, so that it will at least get ya home (hopefully). 

I will def say the same if I drive it like I stole it it runs through the gears like it should. If I drive like driving miss daisy lol it’s like riding a mechanical Bull lolol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update for anyone with similar issues. We made it home safely but had a few more issues. I have resorted to turning off the grade braking manually by holding down the trailer button for a few seconds. I took it out of auto and stayed in 2wd mode, still turning like 4wd is engaged. Cruse control decided to automatically turn off on me randomly and also didn't work for 1/2 the trip.

Thanks everybody for the replys. I did not reset the computer as I want all the info there when the dealer looks at it, i dont think they will see anything though as I'm not putting out a CEL. I will be calling my dealership tomorrow. I just cant believe at 30000 miles this truck that i baby is going to crap...

Update... took the truck in Wednesday and they replaced the MAF sensors. Drove it around for a bit and work like I just drove it off the lot.

Today it started grade braking again... back to the shop I go...

Just had this happen on my 2016 after getting it back from the dealership.

Truck is wildly downshifting, even around 70 MPH.

Cruise no longer works either.

Chris,

They ended up having to replace my ECU after the 5th time taking it to the dealership and contacting GM. Has been fine since then, knock on wood.

Have them check the brake sensor and all the connections. One of the issues was my brake pedal was showing as depressed in the ECU when I was not pressing it. The voltage was off and anytime they moved the harness it would send a brake signal. 

I hope this helps. Sorry I haven't updated this post but it took over a month to finally get it fixed.

Riki,

Makes sense, they had just replaced my brake booster. The pedal would squeak and had a mild pulsation when depressing.

So, my guess is the brake sensor was affected in the process of changing out the brake booster. I printed off your response when I took it back today.

Good fun going 70 and have the truck jam down into 2nd or 3rd on an L.A. freeway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Pooble
      Hey  guys this is my first time posting on the forums, recently bought a 2003 gmc 2500 6.0 gas. 4x4
      So last owner got stuck in his driveway and had bypassed the mechanism by breaking the tumbler & started the truck via the ignition switch (already checked if it was stolen lol). i think he played with a few wires to bypass the security as well, but im not to sure on wiring.
      So to the point i had to drill out the old cylinder and play with it cause it was jammed and could not set it to the ignition setting to pull the old one, during this process i noticed a cable came loose that connects to the cylinder housing and would move with the key when you go from power to start it, pulled it out by accident & then truck was locked in the park position after i put the cable back i was able to shift but noticed it shifting freely afterwards. Already put a new tumbler in but still can shift with no brake, even with the truck off. I can still pull that cable out and the truck will lock into park but when i put it back it shifts free again.  

I just took the truck in for an out of province inspection(canada), and that was not an issue at the time so im 95% sure i did something to cause this. but could also have not noticed it as its second nature to put your foot on the brake then shift. but doubt it as it was just inspected yesterday
      Any help is appreciated and i can also post pictures when i make it out to the shop. Thanks!! ( Just remembered as well, disconnected the battery prior to working on the tumbler. because i was checking horn wires under the airbag, as the horn does not work not sure if disconnecting&reconnecting the battery can affect shifting in anyway)    
    • By 2012gmc
      Good day,

I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 SLT.  Latley I have had an issues with the shifting.  Most of the time all is good, but when I'm going between 35 and 40 and let off the gas then give it some gas it hits real hard.  It does the some what of the same when I am on the highway going about 70 and I give it more gas. On the highway it seems to down shift ( feels like I'm stopping) than shifts hard.  The transmission was just rebuilt and I just replaced the tps and cleaned the throttle body. I at a loss and am running out of money to throw at it. The transmission shop ensures me it is not the shift soleniods, he says if it was I would have a lot more shifting issues than I currently have. Also, the check engine light does not come on and there are no codes in the history. Any help would be appreciated 
    • By bronyaur
      I recently inherited a 2002 Silverado 1500 Standard cab 4.8L 4x4 manual NV3500 transmission.  It has 208k miles on it.  My oldest son is 14 and we plan to restore it so he'll have something to drive when he gets his license.  It drives very nicely.  There's some slop in the front end and I expect it's due a pitman and idler arm, ball joints, and probably tie rod ends.  Aside from that, the only thing that concerns me is shifting from 2nd to 3rd.  It's really hard to find 3rd gear, and when I do it takes a little force to get it in there.  Downshifting from 4th to 3rd is smooth.  Any ideas as to the cause and fix?
    • By VdriVn
      So I tried to drive in the manual mode, with the 1,2,3 gears after the Drive position, and once I got up to around 25mph, it shifted by itself (I’m guessing to 2nd gear) but I didn’t even shift my shifting column to 2nd, and it still showed the truck being on 1st gear on the cluster, can someone help, I have 2005 Silverado LS crew cab 5.3L
    • By Jorge
      Good evening,

I have a 2016 Silverado Custom double cab and I was wondering if anyone has this particular issue that I have been dealing with for quite some time. I purchased the truck brand new from my local dealership and as time went by it developed this clattering noise. This particular noise tends to appear when I am either braking while entering an intersection or driving and slow breaking. It sounds like its coming from the middle compartment of the truck and I cant seem to figure out what the deal with it is. I have tried with no success to record the noise in order to take it to the dealership to no avail. I have taken it to the dealership but they tell me that I have to replicate the sound in order for them to be able to determine a diagnostic in order to fix it. I took the tech on a drive but I was unable to duplicate the sounds. It sounds like its a progressive clanking noise of two metal pieces. The sound is not constant but rather it tends to build up in noise and then clutters down. The truck has only 11k miles on it and all have been placed by me. If anyone can please help me with this so that I can take it to the dealership with  something in order for them to handle this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.