Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

38 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:

Hmm. Thats the first time ive heard that. I wonder if the new 2.5 only has the 1 theme. Hopefully someone here with a 16+ truck chimes in. I mean, it is what it is though. Im still doing it.

Hijack..... has there been anyone here that did this swap from a gmc hmi module into a chevy? After it was programmed, did you still have MYlink on the radio screen? 

Yeah it is what it is. I was just curious if there was a way to get themes downloaded. 

I have reached out to th3magpi3 about programming a radio module so I can get Siri to work with CarPlay. Still nervous that I’m gonna mess up my XM radio subscription when I do this. 

1 hour ago, Trippster said:

Has anyone found a solution to  losing the themes when you replace the HMI 2.0 with the HMI 2.5?

I did the upgrade last night and lost my themes option for the display. 

So themes were a 2014 and early 2015 option (I'm 99% sure they died in the move to 2015.5) but are not present on any 2016+ vehicles. The assets are there in some of the 2016 early builds but there is no associated code to control them. We may be able to port them in but you are I believe the first person I've seen ask about them.

• Thanks 1

Is there a module swap to get car play to work on a 15 Sierra? I did the swap to unlock the playing dvds through usb just curious if there a plug play type option to have car play on a 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" speech recognition unavailable" , No voice directions from nav,  hmi 84296483. I've got a 2014 silverado came with bose and nav. I was an early user of th3magpi3. Hmi from ebay was supposed to be from  a 2017 silverado but had gps map of Europe. I was able to update the map to 2019 north america using usb; but have no voice directions from factory nav and if I push the phone button on steering wheel I get a " speech recognition unavailable" message on dic. Carplay/AA work as expected, onstar works from mirror. I assume this is from the HMI being from Europe, but it has to be a minor tweak if everything else is working. I'm not really worried enough to pull the hmi and reprogram, I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas?

Hmm. I have a 14 as well.  Im about to do the update too. I was told that the voice will not work with the steering wheel but just with the AA or Apple CarPlay. That it will work with the factory nav. This is because of the dash cluster not having the capability to have AA. I hope its something that can be corrected to get the factory steering wheel voice controls for factory nav back.. Although getting a destination through the factory nav is next to impossible anyway.  But WILL it do voice recognition through AA if you push the button on the screen or your phone? Maybe it has something to do with the export hmi...

56 minutes ago, thomascw said:

" speech recognition unavailable" , No voice directions from nav,  hmi 84296483. I've got a 2014 silverado came with bose and nav. I was an early user of th3magpi3. Hmi from ebay was supposed to be from  a 2017 silverado but had gps map of Europe. I was able to update the map to 2019 north america using usb; but have no voice directions from factory nav and if I push the phone button on steering wheel I get a " speech recognition unavailable" message on dic. Carplay/AA work as expected, onstar works from mirror. I assume this is from the HMI being from Europe, but it has to be a minor tweak if everything else is working. I'm not really worried enough to pull the hmi and reprogram, I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas?

There are no language assets for US english in that unit. We have been seeing a rash of these marketed to US users for some reason (One of the reasons we have a fitment matrix) lately I think partly due to the "If it says 2.5 on it it works!" mentality and the ebay vendors have embraced that notion sadly. There may be a solution to your particular issue, it's just not available right this second. 

2 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:

Hmm. I have a 14 as well.  Im about to do the update too. I was told that the voice will not work with the steering wheel but just with the AA or Apple CarPlay. That it will work with the factory nav. This is because of the dash cluster not having the capability to have AA. I hope its something that can be corrected to get the factory steering wheel voice controls for factory nav back.. Although getting a destination through the factory nav is next to impossible anyway.  But WILL it do voice recognition through AA if you push the button on the screen or your phone? Maybe it has something to do with the export hmi...

Voice controls OUTSIDE of AA/CP will work (the normal ones) Siri inside of Car Play will not work without cluster retrofit. The "issue" there is Car Play was designed with siri being the main interface so without it you're constantly pressing the screen. 

So, when i do the upgrade, will it still NOT have voice on the steering wheel because my Denali cluster is an older unit?

Is there any way to fix the problem with having the older cluster?

Edited by RACERX7775

10 minutes ago, GTPprix said:

There are no language assets for US english in that unit. We have been seeing a rash of these marketed to US users for some reason (One of the reasons we have a fitment matrix) lately I think partly due to the "If it says 2.5 on it it works!" mentality and the ebay vendors have embraced that notion sadly. There may be a solution to your particular issue, it's just not available right this second. 

Voice controls OUTSIDE of AA/CP will work (the normal ones) Siri inside of Car Play will not work without cluster retrofit. The "issue" there is Car Play was designed with siri being the main interface so without it you're constantly pressing the screen. 

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping the voice files would have been contained in the map update.