Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Ok been following for a while, apologizing now if it’s been cover! 

I have 2014 GMC Sierra base model with the 4” screen. My truck is pre wired for backup camera. I ordered a factory 8” screen and HMI and back up camera, from the salvage yard. Main question is if it’s plug and play? Upgrading to io5 don’t need Apple car play or navigating. Just want bigger screen and touch. I got the radio in waiting on the HMI should be here tomorrow hopefully? Plugged in the new radio with out the new HMi and I get sound but no display, so when I get the new HMi will everything work?!?!! 

538CE31B-A392-4A29-AFEB-66686C3AB609.jpeg

4AE6777A-D5DB-48AF-AEF3-75EFB5FF56F6.jpeg

I have 2014 GMC Sierra base model with the 4” screen. My truck is pre wired for backup camera. I ordered a factory 8” screen and HMI and back up camera, from the salvage yard. Main question is if it’s plug and play? Upgrading to io5 don’t need Apple car play or navigating. Just want bigger screen and touch. I got the radio in waiting on the HMI should be here tomorrow hopefully? Plugged in the new radio with out the new HMi and I get sound but no display, so when I get the new HMi will everything work?!?!! 
538CE31B-A392-4A29-AFEB-66686C3AB609.thumb.jpeg.1a2af8f4492de93523dfdf314b36793c.jpeg
4AE6777A-D5DB-48AF-AEF3-75EFB5FF56F6.thumb.jpeg.8d09dc79038da2f19412e549d933ea0f.jpeg
Looking at this you state you have only changed the screen this far. Id assume you will need the new hmi to provide vusual. Who would of thought you would loose video when only upgrading the screen size.

9 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:
38 minutes ago, Mikelee2014 said:
538CE31B-A392-4A29-AFEB-66686C3AB609.thumb.jpeg.1a2af8f4492de93523dfdf314b36793c.jpeg
4AE6777A-D5DB-48AF-AEF3-75EFB5FF56F6.thumb.jpeg.8d09dc79038da2f19412e549d933ea0f.jpeg

Looking at this you state you have only changed the screen this far. Id assume you will need the new hmi to provide vusual. Who would of thought you would loose video when only upgrading the screen size.

Yes this is true. Was hoping with the HMI that goes with this used radio it would be plug in play. Get that HMI in tomorrow 

27 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:

Dont plug it in. It will theft lock it.  It needs your vin.

Ok let me ask a question since I work for a Dealership ( not GM) I can get a brand new factory radio and HMI from GMC for some what cheap. Could they program it from the factory? if they could it will be the best way to go!  I might call my local GM Dealer and ask. 

You can plug it in all you want, it won't damage it but it will display the theft lock icon.

If you're interested in just getting an old 2.0 HMI I will sell you one pre programmed to your VIN for $100 plus shipping. Let me know if this interests you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Mikelee2014 said:

I got the non Nav HMI coming in tomorrow (used)   Don’t want Nav or Apple play. But if I have to still send it out to get programmed might as well spend that money on new factory HMI that hopefully gets programmed from the dealer. 

Well, the dealer is gonna be more money than a used unit. And they wont program it for free. If at all. But get prices ..

1 minute ago, th3magpi3 said:

You can plug it in all you want, it won't damage it but it will display the theft lock icon.

If you're interested in just getting an old 2.0 HMI I will sell you one pre programmed to your VIN for $100 plus shipping. Let me know if this interests you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mag. Now thats a deal!!!!! If all someone wants is the bigger screen, They should JUMP on that one.

• Like 1