Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado


Recommended Posts

I did this, since my 2016 was one of the trucks that had the $200 rebate for having the old 2.0 hmi and no apple carplay or android auto.

However I went through these guys, https://www.gm-navigation.com

It's a little pricey, but the hmi is already programmed with your Vin and whatever options you want. And mine works great, the only glitchy thing I've ever encountered is the pandora app on my home screen can be finicky, but pandora plays fine through android auto so whagevs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, lovelessjl said:

I did this, since my 2016 was one of the trucks that had the $200 rebate for having the old 2.0 hmi and no apple carplay or android auto.

However I went through these guys, https://www.gm-navigation.com

It's a little pricey, but the hmi is already programmed with your Vin and whatever options you want. And mine works great, the only glitchy thing I've ever encountered is the pandora app on my home screen can be finicky, but pandora plays fine through android auto so whagevs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

Damn $1200!??!  I don't need it that badly!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, if I'm going to drop that much money I'm going to gut it and replace it with aftermarket.  Those guys look like they offer a good service and I know a lot of people here are happy with them but I don't want factory Nav and I won't pay a premium for it.  I just want Carplay added.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Module arrives Wednesday.  Had the truck in the shop on Friday and got the radio software updated to try and alleviate any potential issues there. 

If I can get the module in Wednesday night I'll definitely update, good or bad. 

Only roadblocks I see right now is I have the old USB ports in my console (with the SD card slot), some guys have had to upgrade to the new USB ports.  That said, the guys that have had issues with the old ports were on android which apparently requires more bandwidth than Carplay.  I'm on iOS so I'm hoping for the best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Module arrives Wednesday.  Had the truck in the shop on Friday and got the radio software updated to try and alleviate any potential issues there. 

If I can get the module in Wednesday night I'll definitely update, good or bad. 

Only roadblocks I see right now is I have the old USB ports in my console (with the SD card slot), some guys have had to upgrade to the new USB ports.  That said, the guys that have had issues with the old ports were on android which apparently requires more bandwidth than Carplay.  I'm on iOS so I'm hoping for the best.

I hope it works as I want to add CarPlay to my 15 especially with iOS 12 adding Waze and Google Maps. I seen some listings on eBay that offer the 2.5 module without GPS and USB ports already programmed to your VIN for like $600. If it can be had for cheaper that will be great

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, risk235 said:

I hope it works as I want to add CarPlay to my 15 especially with iOS 12 adding Waze and Google Maps. I seen some listings on eBay that offer the 2.5 module without GPS and USB ports already programmed to your VIN for like $600. If it can be had for cheaper that will be great

 

The third party Nav apps coming to iOS is what finally lit the fire under me. 

 

Also, don’t pay $600 for just the HMI module. Look in the comments of the YouTube video. There’s a guy listed there selling them for far cheaper than that. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen. 2.5 HMI module arrived today and I swapped it out. It takes longer to get the glove boxes out than it does to swap the module. 

 

The bad news, everything except Apple CarPlay works. It just doesn’t detect the phone. That said, I have not yet upgraded the USB connector in the armrest. That will now be my next purchase to see if that makes it work. 

 

If if that doesn’t, the next thing is apparently the radio module and I have been told that is relatively reasonable in price too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen. 2.5 HMI module arrived today and I swapped it out. It takes longer to get the glove boxes out than it does to swap the module. 

 

The bad news, everything except Apple CarPlay works. It just doesn’t detect the phone. That said, I have not yet upgraded the USB connector in the armrest. That will now be my next purchase to see if that makes it work. 

 

If if that doesn’t, the next thing is apparently the radio module and I have been told that is relatively reasonable in price too. 

I think it will work with the USB connector based on the comments on the YouTube video. It seems that the people having problems are with Android. I’m going to order the HMI and USB connector 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, risk235 said:

I think it will work with the USB connector based on the comments on the YouTube video. It seems that the people having problems are with Android. I’m going to order the HMI and USB connector 

Keep in mind, my truck is a 2014, non-Bose, non-Nav. The people that this has worked for on iOS, from what I’ve seen, are in 2015’s. I’m prepared to ultimately spend whatever I have to to make this work, I’m just trying to logically get to that point as cheap as I can.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By SeekNDstroy2012
      Hello everyone,
       
      I just purchased a used 2018 Chevy Silverado, After doing so research I found that the cup holders in this truck are not removable unlink its earlier models. I am looking for a way to hide the cable that is coming from the inside of the centre console to my phone, that sits in the little rubber holder but I want it to be clean and not have a wire just hanging all over.
       
      I have nothing online as to any sort of way to run that cable in such a way that it is hidden. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to accomplish this clean look?
       
      Thanks for any input
      SeekNDstroy2012
    • By Jeff Somers
      New to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered. I looked to see if there were answers elsewhere, but haven't found them to all of my questions. I recently purchased a 2015 Suburban LTZ and would like to add CarPlay primarily. My questions are:
       
      1. My truck was built 3/24/15. I have seen conflicting reports that I can just replace the HMI module (upgrade from 2.0 to 2.5) vs also having to replace the box under the center console. There was some discussion that later build dates can get away with not replacing the other module. My truck does have the Text option on the MyLink screen if that helps any. Are there particular part numbers I need to retain use of the Rear seat entertainment system or do all the boxes work with it too? 
      2. Since new modules require programming is this something the dealer can do without a lot of hassle (i.e. I am adding a non-original part number to my truck. are they going to give me crap about it)? Also, are there aftermarket tools that I can use to do this? I don't have anything like that, but if I have to go pay the dealer $150 for them to program my box, I would consider just buying a scan tool system for future use
      3. As I mentioned, my truck has the rear seat entertainment system. Are there options for adding HDMI or other inputs for this system? Not sure my family will ever use it in its current config (we do almost all streaming these days). i have seen screen mirroring solutions, but my understanding is they only allow mirroring on the dash screen and not the RSE screens. Any options there? 
       
      Any help is greatly appreciated. 
       
    • By Scott Bailey
      Hi all, Had my 2020 LT, 5.3L, Conv package I and II (TX i.e All-star edition) for for 1 week tomorrow and I've noticed quite the oddity when using aa with turn by turn directions from G. maps. The voice reciting the directions will change from Female to Male. Sometimes even between the same sentence, i.e Male says in 2 miles, and Female says, turn right. I swear, I'm not yanking ur chains. I've seen a post about it on Google forums and Reddit and have tried the troubleshooting listed to no avail. Anyone else seen something like this?
    • By Frankielozano214
      Selling this as a set or separately let me know what u need, send me a PM will sell together for  right price plus shipping 
      price is next to item if you prefer to buy separately 
      •hmi2.5 with navi-225$ Sold
      •Bose Radio Module-75$ 
      •8in screen with digital controls-125$
      •Red Denali Cluster-275$ Sold
       
       
       





    • By Debbie Adams Thomas
      Android auto has stopped coming up in the console display on my 2016 Silverado.The app comes up on my phone when I connect to the USB port but will not display on the console, the phone does charge though. Google search says replace the cable for the phone, that didnt work. Took it to the Dealer and they have no idea either. Any help would be much appreciated!
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    239.3k
    Total Topics
    1.4m
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    290,678
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    Pam Bishop
    Newest Member
    Pam Bishop
    Joined



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.