Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I always thought the upgrade had to be programmed to your vin, I have no use for nav which most of them want to sell you, I just want Android Auto. If I buy a 2.5 module and usb port this will be plug and play?

Supposedly, the guy I ordered it from on EBay programmed it to my VIN. 

If that that ends up not being the case, this forum, YouTube and eBay will know the truth. 

Edited by Darmichar

37 minutes ago, Druder said:

I always thought the upgrade had to be programmed to your vin, I have no use for nav which most of them want to sell you, I just want Android Auto. If I buy a 2.5 module and usb port this will be plug and play?

Read through the YouTube comments. It seems that if your truck is a 2015 or newer your odds are much better. 

It it does appear the android requires a little more bandwidth than iOS, but the upgraded 2015’ or newer seems to be able to handle it better. 

14 hours ago, Darmichar said:

Read through the YouTube comments. It seems that if your truck is a 2015 or newer your odds are much better. 

It it does appear the android requires a little more bandwidth than iOS, but the upgraded 2015’ or newer seems to be able to handle it better. 

14 hours ago, Darmichar said:

Supposedly, the guy I ordered it from on EBay programmed it to my VIN. 

If that that ends up not being the case, this forum, YouTube and eBay will know the truth. 

I think you’ve gotten an error message if the HMI wasn’t programmed to your VIN. I think you’re right on having to have at least a 2015.5 model in order for CarPlay to work. Anything before that, the hardware probably can’t handle the phone projection correctly   

Edited by risk235
  • Like 1

It is crazy to me that in the course of 3 model years they changed so much with just the radio. I would love to have android auto or mirroring but I'm at the point where if I keep adding stuff from the 16+ I might as well have just bought one. Anything over $400 is going to be a hard pass for me when it comes to this radio.

2 hours ago, Druder said:

It is crazy to me that in the course of 3 model years they changed so much with just the radio. I would love to have android auto or mirroring but I'm at the point where if I keep adding stuff from the 16+ I might as well have just bought one. Anything over $400 is going to be a hard pass for me when it comes to this radio.

Wait this out with me. If I have to go full tilt I will have spent:

$115 for the HMI, delivered

$24 for the USB, delivered

~$299 for the radio module if I have to go that far. 

That's far better than the ~$600-700 I would have had to spend to replace it all with aftermarket. 

I'm into this truck for two or three more years so this is worth it to me. 

• Like 1

I went ahead and ordered the HMI and USB connector for my 2015.5 

It should get here Thursday. I will provide an update after I install it. Hopefully all goes and  I don’t need to get the radio updated but if need be I’ll do it. 

Ok, so I received the 13509942 plug today, plugged it in, plugged my phone in and...  it worked! (kinda)

I have music, I have maps, i have SMS (kinda).  Siri is muted.  The interface activates and the line squiggles, she can hear me, but she apparently has laryngitis.

Here's the disclaimer, I'm running the beta of iOS 12 on my phone.  I don't want to revert because I've been on it for a while and I would have to go back to my most recent backup from like 2 months ago.  Too much data loss for me. 

Right now I have what I wanted out of Carplay.  I can still listen to music and apple maps shows up on the screen.  

Once iOS 12 officially releases and the new version of Carplay releases with it, I'll assess the damage then and proceed accordingly.

*EDIT* Forgot to add, since Siri is muted, she reads your SMS messages to you, so it all works you just can't hear what she's saying.

Edited by Darmichar
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Darmichar said:

Ok, so I received the 13509942 plug today, plugged it in, plugged my phone in and...  it worked! (kinda)

I have music, I have maps, i have SMS (kinda).  Siri is muted.  The interface activates and the line squiggles, she can hear me, but she apparently has laryngitis.

Here's the disclaimer, I'm running the beta of iOS 12 on my phone.  I don't want to revert because I've been on it for a while and I would have to go back to my most recent backup from like 2 months ago.  Too much data loss for me. 

Right now I have what I wanted out of Carplay.  I can still listen to music and apple maps shows up on the screen.  

Once iOS 12 officially releases and the new version of Carplay releases with it, I'll assess the damage then and proceed accordingly.

*EDIT* Forgot to add, since Siri is muted, she reads your SMS messages to you, so it all works you just can't hear what she's saying.

Glad it worked it out for you (sort of). I

will post an update of my experience once I install it. BTW how hard is it to replace the USB connector. Any tips?

Edited by risk235
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, risk235 said:

Glad it worked it out for you (sort of). I

will post an update of my experience once I install it. BTW how hard is it to replace the USB connector. Any tips?

If you have the armrest jump seat, take the rubber insert out of the plastic cupholder piece and take the 4 screws and the plastic piece out.  There is a USB plug and a 10 pin plug, the 10 pin is tied off inside pretty short and you wont be able to connect it without removing the cup holders.  The rubber piece just pulls out, it doesn't feel like it will, but t does.

When I posted that earlier, I was home with my 4 year old daughter and didn't really have a chance to hammer on it and see what worked and what didn't.

I was able to take a drive tonight and the only thing that doesn't work is Siri talking to me, there's just no audio.  Siri can hear me, and can do what I ask her to do.  I asked for directions to the local grocery store, there are three of them, three options popped up and I chose the one I wanted.

That said, the only thing I currently don't have is Siri reading my text messages to me.  That's probably a deal breaker for most but I don't get many texts, and I really don't care if I can't hear them while I'm driving.

I started this to get two things, the apple music interface on my truck stereo, which I got, and apple maps, which I now have.  If Siri ever graces me with her voice in my truck, it will be a bonus.

• Like 1