Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Just now, risk235 said:

@Darmichar I was watching 2 different videos of adding CarPlay to a Silverado and I noticed that in both they also replaced the radio module. I would imagine that would resolved your issues. 

Yep. Like I said,, I'll wait for iOS 12 to officially release, see what breaks with that and move forward then. I pretty much expected to replace the whole works. I was pleasantly surprised I got what I did out of it last night. 

You could buy an HMI 2.5 and get in touch with a company called Model Electronics. You can send the module in to them and they can set it up for you. It costs me $100 because I work for a dealership, it may cost anyone else more, I’m not sure. But mine is set up with the right VIN and I have CarPlay and NAV now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mike_4843 said:

What classifies as a 2015.5

This is based on what I have read but 2015.5 is basically a 2015 with an updated HMI. 2014 and early 2015 models didn’t have the option to send and receive text. I’m sure I’m missing something but that’s the jist of it  

3 hours ago, risk235 said:

This is based on what I have read but 2015.5 is basically a 2015 with an updated HMI. 2014 and early 2015 models didn’t have the option to send and receive text. I’m sure I’m missing something but that’s the jist of it  

Do you happen to know the part number?  Drove down to the lake today and found the deal breaker.  Someone called me and I couldn't hear them...

31 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Do you happen to know the part number?  Drove down to the lake today and found the deal breaker.  Someone called me and I couldn't hear them...

I’m not sure but I think the 2015.5 also has an updated radio module. I can check when I try to install mine. I know that two of the posters on that YouTube channel got it working. One even didn’t have to update his radio module. So I’m guessing it comes down to what hardware you have in your truck. Most likely you’re going to have to get an updated radio module. 

18 minutes ago, risk235 said:

I’m not sure but I think the 2015.5 also has an updated radio module. I can check when I try to install mine. I know that two of the posters on that YouTube channel got it working. One even didn’t have to update his radio module. So I’m guessing it comes down to what hardware you have in your truck. Most likely you’re going to have to get an updated radio module. 

That's what I mean. The part number for the radio module. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:04 PM, Darmichar said:

That's what I mean. The part number for the radio module. 

The user (Leftovers 101) on the YouTube channel said he ordered the radio module. I ask him to post on here

Edited by risk235
Correction

Hey Rick, I'm leftovers. There are a variety of radio modules that are compatible, and some can be had for CHEAP. 

The one I purchased is GM 84278527. I purchased it for a mere $79 on ebay. This comes from a wrecked 2018 silverado but any radio manufactured in late 2014 to 2018 should work without a problem after being updated. 

And when I say there are many, it's because there are a ton of different radio module part #'s for these trucks. You can use a silverado radio in a sierra and vise versa. 

I found this particular number by looking at a mistake that digital dash solutions made on ebay. The other guys blur out their part numbers to stop curious minded folk like us from doing this project ourselves, thus keeping cash in their pocket. What they failed to do was fully blur the part numbers on a photo that are included in one of their ebay listings. 

image.png.c15fabbb8d173152c35359368a0e00e6.png

They also show both this newer radio module, and one manufactured in late 2014, which is why I believe that the audio issues can be resolved with just an update if you have a 2015 model vehicle. My vehicle is a 2014 so I unfortunately wasn't able to update my software to resolve the no siri audio problem. I updated the software myself after purchasing a subscription to TIS2WEB and getting a VCI to connect my laptop to the GM SPS software. 

The radio module from this seller was NOT programmed to my VIN. I will update when I get the new module in and will confirm, if 1.) the radio module even needs to be programmed to your VIN in the first place (which I suspect it will) and 2.) If I'm able to program it myself. I'm hoping I can program the module myself and show you all how as you'll spend the same amount of money on one of the tools required to do it that you would spend to get it programmed from a 3rd party seller or a dealership. 

Edited by th3magpi3
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 2018-08-11 at 7:23 PM, risk235 said:

The user (Leftovers 101) on the YouTube channel said he ordered the radio module. I ask him to post on here

EDIT: @Darmichar I think this is the part number GM 84296480

That part number is for the HMI module. Not the radio module. 

1 hour ago, DCazares said:

A lot of good info here. I always wanted to add Android Auto to my 2014 but $1500 is an absurd amount IMO. I will be following this.

No kidding compadre. That's the exact reason why I set myself out on this journey. AA is dope and so much better than our stock intellilink. It receives regular updates from Google and is just overall a better experience. I have just tracked my package and it looks like it should be up to me in Canada by Wednesday at the latest, perhaps even tomorrow. I'll do a full explanation once I get the module in. Thanks for following. 

On 8/12/2018 at 10:22 PM, th3magpi3 said:

Hey Rick, I'm leftovers. There are a variety of radio modules that are compatible, and some can be had for CHEAP. 

The one I purchased is GM 84278527. I purchased it for a mere $79 on ebay. This comes from a wrecked 2018 silverado but any radio manufactured in late 2014 to 2018 should work without a problem after being updated. 

And when I say there are many, it's because there are a ton of different radio module part #'s for these trucks. You can use a silverado radio in a sierra and vise versa. 

I found this particular number by looking at a mistake that digital dash solutions made on ebay. The other guys blur out their part numbers to stop curious minded folk like us from doing this project ourselves, thus keeping cash in their pocket. What they failed to do was fully blur the part numbers on a photo that are included in one of their ebay listings. 

image.png.c15fabbb8d173152c35359368a0e00e6.png

They also show both this newer radio module, and one manufactured in late 2014, which is why I believe that the audio issues can be resolved with just an update if you have a 2015 model vehicle. My vehicle is a 2014 so I unfortunately wasn't able to update my software to resolve the no siri audio problem. I updated the software myself after purchasing a subscription to TIS2WEB and getting a VCI to connect my laptop to the GM SPS software. 

The radio module from this seller was NOT programmed to my VIN. I will update when I get the new module in and will confirm, if 1.) the radio module even needs to be programmed to your VIN in the first place (which I suspect it will) and 2.) If I'm able to program it myself. I'm hoping I can program the module myself and show you all how as you'll spend the same amount of money on one of the tools required to do it that you would spend to get it programmed from a 3rd party seller or a dealership. 

Thanks for coming here and posting.  It was getting confusing jumping back and forth between here and youtube.  I'll wait to see how your install goes before ordering one for myself.  If it needs updated to my VIN I think my local dealership would be willing to help as the guy I deal with there is interested in the Pre-2016 Carplay /Android Auto retrofits himself.