Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

6 minutes ago, Druder said:

So the radio module would have to be done after install and can't be flashed to your VIN? And then my XM subscription will still be linked to my truck? So I'm at $224 plus whatever the dealer charges me.

It can all be installed at the same time. And no, you'll have to move your current XM subscription (I believe) to the new radio ID. It's located on the label of the module. Like this.

image.png.2750ce32fdbf0d793e29fcb78566d567.png

Just call XM and they'll gladly move your sub. 

And honestly, the real money here comes from the insane cost that dealers charge for programming fees. Up to $150 an hour. And god knows they'll take their sweet ass time. 

As for getting everything programmed to your VIN, the seller of the I05 radios will do that upon sale, and we are still waiting to confirm whether or not the reprogram is necessary for the radio modules. I will update tomorrow.

Good luck. 

Edited by th3magpi3

8 minutes ago, Druder said:

So the radio module would have to be done after install and can't be flashed to your VIN? And then my XM subscription will still be linked to my truck? So I'm at $224 plus whatever the dealer charges me.

I believe dokus will flash the radio modules, too.  He originally quoted me a price of $299.

Also, my dealer cut me a deal on my first radio update and only charge me $60, so at $224 plus getting lucky at the dealer you're already at $284

Edited by Darmichar

Just now, Darmichar said:

I believe dokus will flash the radio modules, too.  He originally quoted me a price of $299.

He quoted me $130 for a flash if I provided the module (which is ****ed because the entire HMI I got from him cost less and came with the flashing service). 

I'm hoping I can program myself with the VCX Nano and all will work well. 

Just now, th3magpi3 said:

He quoted me $130 for a flash if I provided the module (which is ****ed because the entire HMI I got from him cost less and came with the flashing service). 

I'm hoping I can program myself with the VCX Nano and all will work well. 

Yeah, sorry, that was confusing.  When I initially talked to him about the HMI, he quoted a price to me to purchase the radio module from him flashed to my VIN at $299.

I guess I'll see what the dealer says then. At $284 I'd be very comfortable doing this, I set a $400 limit for Android Auto after seeing companies charging $750. The screen mirroring intrigues me but I'm a budget person

Edited by Druder
Forgot word "limit"

3 minutes ago, Druder said:

I guess I'll see what the dealer says then. At $284 I'd be very comfortable doing this, I set a $400 for Android Auto after seeing companies charging $750. The screen mirroring intrigues me but I'm a budget person

Keep in mind, that $60 was a cut rate from my dealer.  We've bought a lot there and he's interested in the HMI swap himself.  Like @th3magpi3 said, it could be in the neighborhood of $150.

That's why I'm saying if you can find one on eBay programmed to your VIN already for around the $284 price, you might want to go that way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Keep in mind, that $60 was a cut rate from my dealer.  We've bought a lot there and he's interested in the HMI swap himself.  Like @th3magpi3 said, it could be in the neighborhood of $150.

That's why I'm saying if you can find one on eBay programmed to your VIN already for around the $284 price, you might want to go that way.

I'm sitting pretty at $217.92 USD for the radio, USB and I05 HMI modules shipped (within the USA).

Tack on an extra $114 for a VCX Nano and a $40 subscription to TIS2WEB and you're at $371 all said and done (plus you get the knowledge and ability to program the truck yourself). A dealer will charge close to $150 if not more to replace both modules and program them. I like to do things myself so I opted for the self programming.

If the radio module doesn't need to be programmed to the VIN, and our HMI's come pre-programmed, you're sitting at just the flat cost of around that $200 - $250 range, which isnt bad at all. Cannot believe what the guys at MVI and Digital Dash Solutions charge for their upgrades. I know they use new parts but even still. Insanity. 

Edited by th3magpi3
  • Like 1

Just now, Centex14 said:

I'm forever on conference calls in the vehicle and coordinating resources in the field so not having full functionality isn't an option for me.  I'm actually hoping to get texts read back to me so I can be that much more productive while on the move.  

Exactly the purpose of android auto and apple carplay. You can speak your replies as well. 

Also, with the upgraded 2.5 HMI you get access to the Intellilink texting app, which isn't too bad either. 

3 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Dude! Calgary, hell yea! Go flames. (Just read your bio lol)

As for your question, I just spoke with the seller. an I06 NAV HMI is going to suck for your wallet (Especially with the shit USD-CAD exchange rate).

The seller charges $699USD for a NAV HMI. vs. the like $100-$150 charge for the I05 non-nav. 

When was your truck assembled. Any idea? 

I'm originally from BC! Where in BC are you? (take the smoke back)

Not sure when the truck was assembled, I bought it December 2014.

31 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

I know my dealer well enough to get a straight answer and I'm comfortable bringing my truck to them in whatever configuration makes it fastest for them and cheapest for me. Even at $130-150 for a flash I'm under budget and I can be slightly more confident it was done right. I'd buy the software myself but only if I knew I could make money with it.

Just now, roadblock said:

I'm originally from BC! Where in BC are you? (take the smoke back)

Not sure when the truck was assembled, I bought it December 2014.

Out on the island!

I know man, red sunsets the last few nights. 

Yea, looks like you'll need the radio upgrade as well. Not just the HMI and USB. 

6 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Out on the island!

I know man, red sunsets the last few nights. 

Yea, looks like you'll need the radio upgrade as well. Not just the HMI and USB. 

Ah crap, any ideas on how to get the radio upgrade?

I did the upgrade about three weeks ago. Same results as everyone else. Purchased 2.5 HMI from the same seller. In a 2014 Silverado, had to update USB port, CarPlay works 90%. Siri and I do not hear each other, no voice call audio when connected to CarPlay. I saw the original YouTube poster updated the radio firmware to solve the issues, but I noticed he is in a 2015. I had an appointment this weekend to have the radio module firmware updated, but after reading through these replies, and am going to cancel and see what others report. 

1 hour ago, th3magpi3 said:

Exactly the purpose of android auto and apple carplay. You can speak your replies as well. 

Also, with the upgraded 2.5 HMI you get access to the Intellilink texting app, which isn't too bad either. 

Hmm, in my 2015, it will read the texts to me. Hows this different in the 2.5?