Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

2 hours ago, risk235 said:

Well the only reason I went there is because I dropped off the wife and kid at a store and that dealership was nearby. I’m definitely going to a different one next week. 

All good. I'm just patiently waiting on your results. I think I have 2015.5. I have the text message icon. 

How much did it cost to swap

My 14 Sierra has the HD radio stations. Even after I updated to the 2.5 module (17 Silverado), I still have the HD radio.

The one thing I did lose with the 2.0 to 2.5 upgrade was the ability to pause & rewind music.
How much did it cost to get the new module?

Do people think the 2019 module might be used on the 2014s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2018 at 2:15 PM, risk235 said:

You still have the 2.0 HMI just an updated version. I’m on the last process of completing the project which is getting the radio module updated. 

Thanks.  Looks like we have the same truck, so I'm (not so) patiently waiting to see how it goes for you.

On 2018-08-18 at 10:06 AM, Draphty said:

Ok..I received my eBay 2.5 hmi from dokus223 yesterday and just finished installing. Works as promised. So far I haven’t found anything I’ve lost, with the exception pausing and rewinding songs, which I never used. Siri hears me and responds, phone calls sound great and I now can use my iOS maps on screen. Happy customer!

What year was your truck? It could be a big help if you would be interested in pulling your radio module so we have a better idea of the build date cutoff for radio modules that work out of the box.

Thanks and congrats. 

1 hour ago, th3magpi3 said:

Also, for anyone concerned, my 2014's radio module that didn't work was manufactured in June 2014 GM P/N: 13592804

I'll add my 2014 P/N next time I get a moment to pull the dash open. I'm not ready to give up on this yet.

• Like 1

What year was your truck? It could be a big help if you would be interested in pulling your radio module so we have a better idea of the build date cutoff for radio modules that work out of the box.

Thanks and congrats. 

My truck is a 2016, with a June build date if I recall. I’ll surely pull my radio and get the build date off it. Maybe help someone down the line.

2 minutes ago, Draphty said:

My truck is a 2016, with a June build date if I recall. I’ll surely pull my radio and get the build date off it. Maybe help someone down the line.

Did you not have a 2.5 HMI previously? Were you in the shortage? 

10 minutes ago, Draphty said:

Mine was in the shortage, had a 2.0.

Ahh sounds good. Yea, let us know a part number when you can. Removal is easy. a 7mm socket and a gift card to pry off trim was all I needed. 

How much did it cost to swap
How much did it cost to get the new module?

Do people think the 2019 module might be used on the 2014s?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I did the MVI route so the cost was higher, $900+.
My truck originally came from Canada and it didn’t have the Pandora & weather apps.
So aside from CarPlay, I was able to add Pandora, weather, and texting apps by going to the 2.5.

The biggest PITA of it all was dealing with Sirius/XM and adding services that my radio didn’t originally come with. For some reason, they can’t seem to understand that these modules get swapped out, so if the VIN no longer matches the original radio ID, they become extremely difficult to work with.
It took several escalated phone calls to get the XM services that I wanted added. Even the regional XM manager was being difficult & insinuating that I may have stolen the module from another vehicle or that I was up to something illegal.
It certainly was not as simple as providing the radio ID & telling them what subscriptions you want... at least not in my case.

7 minutes ago, Ryno12 said:

I did the MVI route so the cost was higher, $900+.
My truck originally came from Canada and it didn’t have the Pandora & weather apps.
So aside from CarPlay, I was able to add Pandora, weather, and texting apps by going to the 2.5.

The biggest PITA of it all was dealing with Sirius/XM and adding services that my radio didn’t originally come with. For some reason, they can’t seem to understand that these modules get swapped out, so if the VIN no longer matches the original radio ID, they become extremely difficult to work with.
It took several escalated phone calls to get the XM services that I wanted added. Even the regional XM manager was being difficult & insinuating that I may have stolen the module from another vehicle or that I was up to something illegal.
It certainly was not as simple as providing the radio ID & telling them what subscriptions you want... at least not in my case.

How would XM even know what your vin was? 

Did you attempt to swap over your subscription and then they flagged you or did you try to start a new sub on the new radio ID? 

How would XM even know what your vin was?    Did you attempt to swap over your subscription and then they flagged you or did you try to start a new sub on the new radio ID? 

I believe the radio IDs are assigned to a particular VIN right from the get go. (I had to give MVI my VIN so it could be programmed to the 2.5 module.) 

I had a previous trial subscription to XM before my upgrade. At that time, I had requested the Travel Link package & they told me that my radio was not compatible. After I installed the MVI module, I had another free trial with everything for about 3 months. After it had expired, I called XM to renew the subscription and again to add the Travel Link package. Again, they told me it wasn’t available for my vehicle. I gave them the new radio ID & told them that I’ve been receiving Travel Link for the past three months. They told me that’s impossible, that my new radio ID was for a 2017 Silverado & that my current vehicle was a 2014 Sierra and therefore was not eligible for the package that I wanted. I told them that I swapped modules & that’s where they just couldn’t comprehend any further.

They said the modules can’t be swapped as they are assigned to a particular VIN & won’t work in any other vehicles. I told them that the module was reprogrammed to my VIN. They disputed that as their records show (again) that’s its assigned to a 2017 Silverado and again, I explained that it was reprogrammed to my 2014 Sierra VIN.

The back and forth continued through several phone calls & was the ultimate perpetuating mess that resembled the movie Groundhog Day.

I also had a few different dealerships try renewing my subscription to no avail. They gave me the name of the regional XM rep and said that he could get this going. He was of zero help and only had questioning that was short of a criminal interrogation.

Ultimately, it took Anthony from MVI to call the XM automotive division & tell them to basically just activate the signal & don’t ask any questions.

I’ve since had my service disconnected a couple times & it’s about a hour long phone call with about 2-3 different reps to get it working again.

It’s a big time ass ache anytime I have to deal with XM & I absolutely dread it.

ETA: apologies for the word wall.