Darmichar

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Darren I hate that your solution to solving this issue was to buy a new truck by the way LOL

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Darren I hate that your solution to solving this issue was to buy a new truck by the way LOL

I know, I feel bad for starting this and bailing.  I just couldn't pass up that deal.  I knew I was up for a new truck soon and I really don't like the '19 so I pulled the trigger on the last of this body style I could get.

Just now, Darmichar said:

I know, I feel bad for starting this and bailing.  I just couldn't pass up that deal.  I knew I was up for a new truck soon and I really don't like the '19 so I pulled the trigger on the last of this body style I could get.

If you ever want to donate your old carplay HMI to a good cause (reverse engineering) I'm more than happy to help ;)

3 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

If you ever want to donate your old carplay HMI to a good cause (reverse engineering) I'm more than happy to help ;)

I have a guy at work looking to get carplay in his '14 that offered to pay me what I paid or I would have sent it to you.  If he bails, it's yours.

Just now, Darmichar said:

I have a guy at work looking to get carplay in his '14 that offered to pay me what I paid or I would have sent it to you.  If he bails, it's yours.

No worries. I've been digging deeper and I believe in order to program these modules we need to do some manipulating of the VIN over the CAN Bus system. In basic terms, there are "passwords" required for some modules if they're locked.

I plan on building a bench top programming harness and taking a crack at programming some of these things off-board. 

However, that all takes time and money, so I've gotta work a little more and wait a little longer.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Mag

• Like 2

Damichar, I’m glad you found your solution. I’m also glad you started this, as I gained more information and was able to solve my issues. I’ve been looking for a solution, but this thread caused me to dig deeper.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Draphty said:

Damichar, I’m glad you found your solution. I’m also glad you started this, as I gained more information and was able to solve my issues. I’ve been looking for a solution, but this thread caused me to dig deeper.

I'm glad this is helping people enjoy their trucks more.  It never would have crossed my mind to swap out the HMI/radio modules to get Carplay/AA had I not came across this video.

• Like 1

Has anyone sent HMI and/or radio modules into dokus for programming? I have some 2017 modules in hand. When I asked him about this, he said he would do it, but his normal process was for you to ship in the modules 1st and THEN he sends you a paypal request for payment (to unlock/program the modules) ... 

I wondered if anyone had success in doing that, as it seemed sort of sketchy that he wanted the modules sent to him w/no paypal payment prior (as I'd have no recourse of action if he decided to just keep them).

Does he have a vetted business that someone can confirm?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, sk said:

No a dealer can't do it.  Their software only allows them to program an OEM option based on your VIN.

Just have Chris White do it.  He costs a little more but is not a fly-by-night operation.  You will get a module delivered back to you that is plug-and-play ready for your truck.

who is chris white?

14 hours ago, dubwise said:

Has anyone sent HMI and/or radio modules into dokus for programming? I have some 2017 modules in hand. When I asked him about this, he said he would do it, but his normal process was for you to ship in the modules 1st and THEN he sends you a paypal request for payment (to unlock/program the modules) ... 

I wondered if anyone had success in doing that, as it seemed sort of sketchy that he wanted the modules sent to him w/no paypal payment prior (as I'd have no recourse of action if he decided to just keep them).

He has a bunch of very positive feedback on eBay. I don’t think he would take the chance of screwing that up over a couple hundred dollars. I’d trust him. 

15 hours ago, dubwise said:

Send it to Chris white. He is cheaper than Dokus. $200 for both modules vs $150 per module from Dokus

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silverado1475 said:

who is chris white?

GEN5DIY, right?

On 2018-08-24 at 7:31 AM, juscuzram said:

GEN5DIY, right?

Not sure

Edited by th3magpi3

3 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Send it to Chris white. He is cheaper than Dokus. $200 for both modules vs $150 per module from Dokus

Does he still do it? His website now says to go to MVI for this service. 

image.png.ec18ae227e4e8d2f00d5fff65478308d.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By FLTrailBoss
      Hey, love this site, new owner of a TrailBoss custom and wish I would have gotten the LT with more little bells and whistles, but I was too cheap! Now I'm trying to manipulate as many functions and additional features as possible. I'm replacing the center console thanks to this site, now I'm trying to get text messaging from my limited infotainment. Any ideas? I'm anxiously hoping for many!! Thanks guys😎

• By Mountain boy
      I downloaded Apple IOS 13 beta, the good news CarPlay for Spotify is much improved it now shows album covers, kind of cool. The bad news even with the 805 update and IOS 13 it still turns down the ringer to zero if you have adjust with buttons turned on. It also still changes the volume control. I now wonder if this is a GM problem or an Apple problem. I hope someone fixes it, I just almost missed a very important call. 
    • By Jacob Broadbent
      Hello All,

I just bought 2017 sierra with the 7 inch touchscreen that advertisted as compatible with apple Carplay and Android auto. For whatever reason myself, the dealer, and the GM infotainment support can't figure out why it isn't working with apple. We can get the radio to work with Android Auto and connects right away as it should so I think that confirms that the USB port is not faulty and is correctly transferring data. I am using an Iphone 8 IOS ver 12.4 with the factory cable in good condition(no fraying of the cable) and have confirmed that the phone cable combination works in my girlfriends 2017 Chevy Cruze. We have also tried it with different cable combinations and different IPhones.

Occasionally when an Iphone is plugged into it a message will appear on the radio saying "Playback Source is not available" and I have attached a picture of the message.

Just a quick rundown of things I have tried to help with troubleshooting:
      Made sure that the Apple Carplay is on in the settings of the radio. Double checked that "press home for Siri is enabled" Double checked that the screen time settings weren't preventing carplay from working forgot phone in bluetooth settings and re-paired it. factory reset of radio tried different Iphones (IPhone 6, IPhone 8, IPhone XR, IPhone XS) tried different cables (and confirmed they all worked in the 2017 Chevy Cruze) Made sure the phones worked with Apple Carplay in the 2017 Cruze. tried all USB ports in the truck.  
      Appreciate all the help

Jacob

• By th3magpi3
      Hey everybody,

Just wanted to check in again and let you all know about another exciting service we're happy to be offering... The Denali Cluster Upgrade!

Many of you have requested this upgrade and I'm happy to report we have successfully completed the mod.

If you're interested in this, you'll need to know a few things.

Acquire a new or used GMC Denali cluster. This can be a Sierra or a Yukon cluster. (Please note: If you buy your cluster 2nd hand, DO NOT plug it into your vehicle.)

Diesel/Gas: The cluster will need to match some aspects of your current vehicle. For example, if you have a gas spec vehicle you'll need to find a cluster that has an RPM gauge that goes to 6000rpm. If you have a diesel spec vehicle (2500, 3500) you'll need to find a cluster that has an RPM gauge that goes to 5000rpm. Both shown below.

MPH/KPH: We can do BOTH USA and Metric market clusters. If you live in the USA, you'll want to get a cluster that has a speedometer that goes up to 140. If you live in a metric country, you'll want a cluster that goes to 200. Both options shown below.

COLOR: If you have a GMC and you want to keep your RED color theme, you'll want to find a 2016 GMC Denali cluster. If you have a Silverado, have done a blue conversion, or have upgraded your HMI to the newer blue theme and you're looking for a BLUE gauge theme, you'll want a 2017-2018 Denali cluster.

Android Auto/Carplay: For all of you Android Auto users wanting the use of your volume and track selection flippers back, this fixes it!!! once installed you'll once again have access to your flippers. This also allows for the long press of the voice button on the steering wheel to activate Google Assistant as well as Siri for Apple Carplay.

Year Matching: There has been a lot of talk that all modules that are installed into the vehicle need to be of the same year. After extensive testing we have found this to be mainly false. As long as the modules are of the same generation you should be A-OK for the install. That means if you have a 2.0 HMI vehicle (2014-2015) you can use a 2014-2015 Denali cluster. If you have a vehicle with a 2.5 HMI (Carplay Enabled, 2016-2018) you can use any 2016-2018 cluster so long as it matches your vehicle specs as mentioned above. And if you have a 2014-2015 and would like to upgrade to a blue themed cluster while adding Android Auto / Carplay, we are more than happy to facilitate the upgrade all at once.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions or are interested in getting this mod done to your own vehicle. Thanks for watching and enjoy the demo.

• By ejdziurka
      Has anyone recently had issues with AndroidAuto not connected to their phone?  I've tried three different USB cables (all which charge the phone), reinstalled AA and removed all Bluetooth connections and reconnected the phone.  I suspect AA recently updated and now we are waiting on GM to update the infotainment system. When I touch AA on the screen it says, please connect a phone with AA app installed.  2019 Silverado RST with 8 inch infotainment, connecting a Samsung S8 with AA version 4.4.592344.  Yes, it had been working before, and one of the cables I tried was the one it previously functioned on.