Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

For anyone interested I believe I will have the ability to do programming very soon. I have made quite a bit of progress and hope to have the reprogramming method refined and ready within the next few weeks. Please stay tuned. You won't wanna miss this ;) 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

For anyone interested I believe I will have the ability to do programming very soon. I have made quite a bit of progress and hope to have the reprogramming method refined and ready within the next few weeks. Please stay tuned. You won't wanna miss this ;) 

yeah...cause no ones interested :P 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Yeah, not like I haven't been checking this thread a couple times a day or anything...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Sounds good and good luck. I’m hoping that you’re able to just program the radio and it will work instead of having to also reprogram the HMI along with the radio. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, risk235 said:

Sounds good and good luck. I’m hoping that you’re able to just program the radio and it will work instead of having to also reprogram the HMI along with the radio. 

I`m hoping that will be the case as well. I`m waiting on some hardware to come in. I will commend the people offering the programming, it is certainly not easy. There are a lot of hurdles to get over and there is quite a substantial initial investment for everything that`s required.

I`m just waiting on a few pieces of hardware to make their way up to the great white north and by the time I have them I should be able to finish my testing. I will continue to update the forums with my progress. Thank you all for following along! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, risk235 said:

In the case that both need to be programmed together I`ll be happy to offer the viewers of this thread a 2 for 1 programming for their patience.

I too have a dokus programmed HMI so I`ll be able to tell without a shadow of a doubt if both units need to be programmed together or if we can program the radio independent from the HMI. Cheers!

Edited by th3magpi3
added information
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Don’t recall if this has been mentioned, but I stumbled across this by accident. So the three obvious ways of summoning Siri do not work (home button, touch screen button, and steering wheel). I did discover by total accident tonight that “Hey, Siri” does work. I get the audible chime, but still no voice feedback. I can say “Hey, Siri give me directions to work” or “Play some metal” and it works, albeit a little slow. I will experiment some more tomorrow to try and determine how far that can work and what mic (phone or truck) is being used. 

Also adding to that, about a week ago, Siri turn by turn played through the sound system for one short trip. I got excited, but haven’t been able to duplicate that since, but it gives me hope. Today, it would lower the music volume at every turn, but no directions were audible.

I think I may have the solution to the no audio issue. It seems that Apple CarPlay has THREE volumes. One for Siri, one for Navigation and the other for music or maybe that was Phone. Let's start with Siri. Do something to make Siri reply to you. Try to make it something that will make her talk for awhile. WHILE she is talking, turn up the volume on the radio. It must be exactly when she is talking. If you don't get it just right, you will be changing the radio volume, not Siri. Another suggestion is to adjust the volume controls on your phone. In navigation try the same thing. I have also read that there is a setting in Apple Maps for audio. The settings if I remember are: No Volume, low, medium and loud. Someone else solved their issue by resetting the phone while connected to Carplay.

All this applies to Android Auto too.

The problems I have been reading in this thread are issues across the board with many other brands. It is issues with Carplay and Android Auto. NOT isolated to our trucks.

Do a web search about this and you will find pretty much the same. I used Siri no volume Carplay as my search terms. I don't have time right now to expound on this right now. Gotta run.

Well I installed my dokus HMI. No problems there. However the USB port that I purchased must not be compatible with AA. I have the projection icon, but when I plug in and turn on AA, I get nothing. At least it was only $20 for the port.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Woody, what was the part number of the usb connector you purchased. Also, do you have Android auto installed on your phone? You need to download it. A lot of people think it will just work when they plug it in like carplay does.

Well I installed my dokus HMI. No problems there. However the USB port that I purchased must not be compatible with AA. I have the projection icon, but when I plug in and turn on AA, I get nothing. At least it was only $20 for the port.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, woodyfriedt said:

The USB part number is 13509942. Yes I have the app downloaded.

What trim is your 2015? Do you have a center console? What cable are you using, OEM, aftermarket cable? What kind of phone do you have?

Let's try to get this solved for you. 

What trim is your 2015? Do you have a center console? What cable are you using, OEM, aftermarket cable? What kind of phone do you have?

Let's try to get this solved for you. 

It is a LT. I have the jump seat console. That is the USB I replaced. I used an oem and an aftermarket cable. I have a Galaxy S7 edge. My phone worked with AA in my mother in law's Buick, so the only thing that I can think of is that I bought the wrong port. Or does the battery need to be disconnected and reconnected?

1 hour ago, rusty503 said:

I think I may have the solution to the no audio issue. It seems that Apple CarPlay has THREE volumes. One for Siri, one for Navigation and the other for music or maybe that was Phone. Let's start with Siri. Do something to make Siri reply to you. Try to make it something that will make her talk for awhile. WHILE she is talking, turn up the volume on the radio. It must be exactly when she is talking. If you don't get it just right, you will be changing the radio volume, not Siri. Another suggestion is to adjust the volume controls on your phone. In navigation try the same thing. I have also read that there is a setting in Apple Maps for audio. The settings if I remember are: No Volume, low, medium and loud. Someone else solved their issue by resetting the phone while connected to Carplay.

All this applies to Android Auto too.

The problems I have been reading in this thread are issues across the board with many other brands. It is issues with Carplay and Android Auto. NOT isolated to our trucks.

Do a web search about this and you will find pretty much the same. I used Siri no volume Carplay as my search terms. I don't have time right now to expound on this right now. Gotta run.

Your comment didn't go unnoticed! Just doing a bit of research on the subject, and while YES, AA and ACP do have different volumes based on the task at hand, the problem most certainly lies in the module not being compatible rather than there being a software issue. 

I ran some tests to check out the fixes in THIS THREAD that I found when I Googled the issue you suggested. 

Unfortunately none of them worked. Furthermore, to be more convinced it's the module and not the device, I can unplug my phone and plug it directly into another car that has AA and everything runs and plays fine, I'll unplug it and put it into my truck, and nothing. I tried adjusting the volume knob during a song, using the steering wheel paddle volume controls, Spotify volume controls, android volume. Nothing. 

IMG_20180829_063945.thumb.jpg.7e6b5b2b4d6b49a411795c0f4fef14a5.jpg

Screenshot_20180829-063809.thumb.png.dca0fc8d3261c985b81cbaeabf241a4a.png

Screenshot_20180829-063918.thumb.png.05a9709fc03ae6bd5480bcd512f8f4a3.png

IMG_20180829_063957.thumb.jpg.23a3cd381bf183a7da8100fec5d59378.jpg

Looks like we need to hold out for the radio module programming. 

Edited by th3magpi3

14 minutes ago, woodyfriedt said:

It is a LT. I have the jump seat console. That is the USB I replaced. I used an oem and an aftermarket cable. I have a Galaxy S7 edge. My phone worked with AA in my mother in law's Buick, so the only thing that I can think of is that I bought the wrong port. Or does the battery need to be disconnected and reconnected?

Nope you have the proper receptacle.

2 things I can think of. First verify the time on your radio is correct. If it's not, Android Auto will give you an error. 

Second, if the LT without the console has a secondary USB plug (I'm unsure, I haven't worked on that model yet), try plugging the device into that. I was able to get AA to show up in projection at the very minimum using the stock USB plug. If there isn't another USB plug, try swapping back in your old USB plug and test. 

Some other things to try - Get an iphone and plug it in to see if carplay shows up. I'm sure you know someone with an iphone.

Also, is your phone charging when you plug it in. Does the aux input work? Can you play audio over a usb stick?

Keep us posted. 

Edited by th3magpi3
  • Like 1