Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Darmichar

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, sk said:

Do NOT install it without getting it programmed for your VIN.  It will set flags in the BCM that can't be cleared.

 

If your sig is correct you have a 2018 which comes with HD radio already.

Assuming you're referring to tamper flags? I'm not really concerned about that at this point. It's my understanding that these are just used by gm internally when they decide to work on a vehicle?

 

 

I don't plan on using the dealership for any of my servicing, I'm out of warranty, so I'm not very worried about any of that. 

 

Am I correct about the flags you're speaking of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sk said:

Do NOT install it without getting it programmed for your VIN.  It will set flags in the BCM that can't be cleared.

 

If your sig is correct you have a 2018 which comes with HD radio already.

Yesterday, I had a 2014. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sk said:

No a dealer can't do it.  Their software only allows them to program an OEM option based on your VIN.

 

Just have Chris White do it.  He costs a little more but is not a fly-by-night operation.  You will get a module delivered back to you that is plug-and-play ready for your truck.

It looks like he's really affordable compared to other options. I'll gladly pay him $50 to do my radio module compared to $150 somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Druder said:

It looks like he's really affordable compared to other options. I'll gladly pay him $50 to do my radio module compared to $150 somewhere else.

Have you been in touch with him? He stated I would need to get my HMI and Radio Module programmed together as they are paired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Have you been in touch with him? He stated I would need to get my HMI and Radio Module programmed together as they are paired. 

I'm in the process of emailing him right now, I'll let you know as I have an hmi 2.5 sitting here that's already programmed to my VIN and that would be a bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the hmi in today from dokus on eBay and installed it. Android auto works, maps, waze and phone calls in/out work. Google assistant doesn't hear me and I don't hear it, and I can't get sound from Google play music or maps directions but I can live with these (for now at least)

My truck's a 2015.5 with a build date of 6/2015. I did try just the updated USB plug first, no dice it needed the 2.5 hmi module. Also the radio module # is 13506455, attached a pic incase that wasn't the right number off of it. If I attempt the dealer firmware upgrade I'll post the progress but for now I'm content.

This thread is full of useful info, thanks to all!

IMG_20180822_124821.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

Got the hmi in today from dokus on eBay and installed it. Android auto works, maps, waze and phone calls in/out work. Google assistant doesn't hear me and I don't hear it, and I can't get sound from Google play music or maps directions but I can live with these (for now at least)

My truck's a 2015.5 with a build date of 6/2015. I did try just the updated USB plug first, no dice it needed the 2.5 hmi module. Also the radio module # is 13506455, attached a pic incase that wasn't the right number off of it. If I attempt the dealer firmware upgrade I'll post the progress but for now I'm content.

This thread is full of useful info, thanks to all!

IMG_20180822_124821.jpg

If you do get the radio module firmware update, I'd recommend throwing the old HMI back in prior to going to the dealer.  When I had mine done, apparently it checks both the HMI and the radio module firmware and updates them both if needed. 

 

At least that's what my work order stated when I had mine done.

I don't know that an update to the HMI module if it needed it would mess things up or not, I'd hate to chance that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rahool82 said:

Got the hmi in today from dokus on eBay and installed it. Android auto works, maps, waze and phone calls in/out work. Google assistant doesn't hear me and I don't hear it, and I can't get sound from Google play music or maps directions but I can live with these (for now at least)

My truck's a 2015.5 with a build date of 6/2015. I did try just the updated USB plug first, no dice it needed the 2.5 hmi module. Also the radio module # is 13506455, attached a pic incase that wasn't the right number off of it. If I attempt the dealer firmware upgrade I'll post the progress but for now I'm content.

This thread is full of useful info, thanks to all!

IMG_20180822_124821.jpg

Thank you for sharing your radio! And please let us know if the firmware update solves your problem.

 

Also, to be noted, you have a U2K radio. 

 

I've been told it's important to distinguish your radio type and stick with that when doing the update. There are 3 types of radio versions that we're interested. Theyre as follows;

 

U2K: Sirius XM compatible radio. If you have an I05 or I06 you'll more than likely have this at the very least. You'll know if your radio module is incompatible if it has a blank space where the XM radio code is in the quoted picture above me.

 

U2M: Appears to be the same as U2K with the added option of HD Audio.

 

UQA: RPO code for Bose premium audio. I have been told if you have a UQA system you will need to get a radio module that also was from a UQA doner. As far as I know, the radio itself will still only show a U2M so it's best to check the RPO codes of the doner VIN to ensure it was a Bose system as well. If you have access to TIS2WEB you can check the RPO's of any GM VIN. If any of you need this service done please PM me. 

 

Hope that helps some people. Here's an article from infotainment that has more info on radio RPO codes. Enjoy. :driving:

 

EDIT: Here's a 400 page PDF of RPO code meanings from AC Delco

Edited by th3magpi3
New RPO Doc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

If you do get the radio module firmware update, I'd recommend throwing the old HMI back in prior to going to the dealer.  When I had mine done, apparently it checks both the HMI and the radio module firmware and updates them both if needed. 

 

At least that's what my work order stated when I had mine done.

I don't know that an update to the HMI module if it needed it would mess things up or not, I'd hate to chance that.

No it doesn't. The radio update is not a sequence update. If anything your dealer just updated both for you because they work together. Just specify to them you only want your radio module (A11) done and not your HMI. 

 

I updated my radio software in my truck with SPS (what the dealer uses) and it had no ill effects on my HMI. Don't worry about removing your new HMI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So besides the whole leave hmi or swap back to old one debate, if I did go to get the radio updated, is there something I should specifically tell them? Like it's laggy? I would have never have thought to even update a radio, and I'm sure the dealer will have hundreds of questions as to why I think I need it. Just looking for something better than "well I upgraded my hmi to get Android auto and these nice fellas on the internet told me I should do this"

I did get the truck as a ceritified pre owned so I don't wanna give them any ammo to use against me if I ever did need to use the warranty for something, so I probably would just throw the old back hmi in to get radio updated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

So besides the whole leave hmi or swap back to old one debate, if I did go to get the radio updated, is there something I should specifically tell them? Like it's laggy? I would have never have thought to even update a radio, and I'm sure the dealer will have hundreds of questions as to why I think I need it. Just looking for something better than "well I upgraded my hmi to get Android auto and these nice fellas on the internet told me I should do this"

I did get the truck as a ceritified pre owned so I don't wanna give them any ammo to use against me if I ever did need to use the warranty for something, so I probably would just throw the old back hmi in to get radio updated. 

Just tell them to take a look at your radio module software version and see if it's current. If it isn't, ask if they will update your radio module software.

 

Updates are periodically released by GM to fix errors and improve operation of their systems. 

 

Should take around 30 minutes tops. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going either tomorrow or Friday to get my radio updated. I’m just going say that my radio sometimes stutters when listening to music 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, risk235 said:

Going either tomorrow or Friday to get my radio updated. I’m just going say that my radio sometimes stutters when listening to music 

Don't tell them that because odds are they'll spend time trying to reproduce the issue in shop. Just say you want to verify that your radio module is up to date and if they could update it and provide you with a receipt of the current software version you'd appreciate it.Simple as that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Don't tell them that because odds are they'll spend time trying to reproduce the issue in shop. Just say you want to verify that your radio module is up to date and if they could update it and provide you with a receipt of the current software version you'd appreciate it.Simple as that. 

I agree, you go in with a non-existent problem they're going to take their time trying to 'solve' it (billing you more).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Debbie Adams Thomas
      Android auto has stopped coming up in the console display on my 2016 Silverado.The app comes up on my phone when I connect to the USB port but will not display on the console, the phone does charge though. Google search says replace the cable for the phone, that didnt work. Took it to the Dealer and they have no idea either. Any help would be much appreciated!
    • By GTPprix
      Yes, you did indeed read that correctly.
       
      You can now have all of the proper steering wheel controls inside of Car Play / Android Auto without having to physically upgrade your cluster. This service will still require you to ship your cluster in (and of course we will turn them as fast as humanly possible) or you may choose to source a used one as these are plentiful and honestly pretty cheap! Just make sure you get with us prior to purchasing a used unit to make sure everything matches as it should as there are many different types and combos such as red/blueish green lighting, Z71, All Terrain etc
       
      https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/udd-color-cluster-upgrade/
       
      Big thanks for the push from our dealer network and fantastic customers like you guys!
       
       
    • By th3magpi3
      Hi everybody!
       
      As some of you may know, I've been working hard to help the lovely members of this forums program some of their vehicles to add unique and exciting features to their trucks and cars.
       
      Well, I'm happy to announce a project I've been working very hard on over the last few months. Welcome to Coastal Flash!
       

       
      Final_Short.mp4
       
      We have been spending countless hours taking the time to develop new products and features for our line of vehicles and add them all to an easy to use marketplace for all members of the forum to enjoy.
       
      We're happy to offer free shipping on all kit purchases across North America and also are happy to provide phone support to anybody who purchases our services. Plus, we will beat any price quoted by our competitors on kits and programming services. It's not about being the cheapest, but about making these upgrades more affordable for the average user. The entire reason this market was formed was because we felt the current market was monopolized and overcharging for their services. Coastal Flash is here to put an end to that.
       
      Currently, we offer:
       
      Both 2.0-2.5 HMI Carplay/Android Auto kits & Programming Denali Cluster Programming and Upgrades Video in Motion Unlocks Rear Camera in Motion Unlock & Harness Custom HMI Boot Animations and Splash Screens Amplifier repair Late 90's - mid 2010's Radio Linking and Testing Navigation Updates Custom Reverse Engineering Services And many more services...  
      So please, if you are interested in getting any of these upgrades done to your vehicle, I encourage you to take a look at what we've been up to!
       
      Feel free to take a look through some of the upgrade threads posted here on the forums and look at the reviews some customers have been leaving for our services. I think their words speak for themselves. 
       
      I'm also very open to ideas or suggestions from forum members of what you'd like to see installed into your vehicles, so feel free to send me a PM or an email and let me know what mod you'd like to see done next. Nothing is too big or too small.
       
      I'll be consistently monitoring this thread and updating it with new services and discoveries as we make them available.
       
      Oh, and one more thing, we're offering some special discounts for Black Friday and Cyber Monday so feel free to stop by, take a look around and save some cash on that new upgrade you've been wanting to get.
       
      Thanks for stopping by and thank you to everyone who has shown us so much encouragement and support over the last year as we've gotten our products and services tuned in. I can't wait to show you what else we have in store for you in the near future 😉
       
      Talk to you all soon...
       
      -Mag
    • By Paul Spencer
      Can anyone tell me if the new 2020 (or older) YukonXL, does the Apple Carplay cast Google Maps onto the screen?  I've read that it only plays with Apple Maps.  thx
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Forum Statistics

    215,973
    Total Topics
    2,315,027
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    195,976
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    Vanic
    Newest Member
    Vanic
    Joined
  • Who's Online   23 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1,125 Guests (See full list)



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.