Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

7 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

god damn I wish this was simple. and cheap. :lol:

At it's core it is simple. There are just a ton of variables. And honestly for me I paid almost exactly $200 USD for all of my modules which is pretty damn cheap in my opinion.  It's just a matter of programming that's the only missing link.

7 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

At it's core it is simple. There are just a ton of variables. And honestly for me I paid almost exactly $200 USD for all of my modules which is pretty damn cheap in my opinion.  It's just a matter of programming that's the only missing link.

Yeah. Like I've said before, I want to say I want X, so I need to buy Y, and install it and it works. 

Just now, Roscopcoletrain said:

Yeah. Like I've said before, I want to say I want X, so I need to buy Y, and install it and it works. 

Honestly, fair. Have you sourced any of the parts yet? If not I'm sure we can work something out pre-programmed. I'm in Canada like yourself so shipping will be easy and cheap. 

2 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Honestly, fair. Have you sourced any of the parts yet? If not I'm sure we can work something out pre-programmed. I'm in Canada like yourself so shipping will be easy and cheap. 

not yet. I've sorta just held back until I know for sure what's going to work. 

Nope you have the proper receptacle.

2 things I can think of. First verify the time on your radio is correct. If it's not, Android Auto will give you an error. 

Second, if the LT without the console has a secondary USB plug (I'm unsure, I haven't worked on that model yet), try plugging the device into that. I was able to get AA to show up in projection at the very minimum using the stock USB plug. If there isn't another USB plug, try swapping back in your old USB plug and test. 

Some other things to try - Get an iphone and plug it in to see if carplay shows up. I'm sure you know someone with an iphone.

Also, is your phone charging when you plug it in. Does the aux input work? Can you play audio over a usb stick?

Keep us posted. 
The time was wrong, so fixed that, still nothing from either port, including the one in the glove box. Phone charges just fine. I played video through the new port to the screen, with audio. I'll have to find someone with an iPhone, all Android in this house. Haven't tried the aux jack yet. There is an option to turn carplay on and off in the settings so we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, woodyfriedt said:

The time was wrong, so fixed that, still nothing from either port, including the one in the glove box. Phone charges just fine. I played video through the new port to the screen, with audio. I'll have to find someone with an iPhone, all Android in this house. Haven't tried the aux jack yet. There is an option to turn carplay on and off in the settings so we'll see.

First of all, congrats on teaching your family the ways of a proper mobile operating system.

Second, can you try with one of their phones as well just to verify?

Seems like your USB connection is fine. You can also turn on or off android auto in the settings menu. Please verify both of those are turned on as well. 

Next up, test the iphone when you can get your hands on one. 

First of all, congrats on teaching your family the ways of a proper mobile operating system.

Second, can you try with one of their phones as well just to verify?

Seems like your USB connection is fine. You can also turn on or off android auto in the settings menu. Please verify both of those are turned on as well. 

Next up, test the iphone when you can get your hands on one. 
I wonder if he sent me a carplay only model. There's nothing in the on screen settings about Android Auto.

Just now, woodyfriedt said:

I wonder if he sent me a carplay only model. There's nothing in the on screen settings about Android Auto.

Oh no! This could have been from an early 2016 model without the software update for Android Auto!

Let me verify that there is a setting for Android Auto in my version. I am almost positive there is. If he did mess up, send it back and make him pay shipping both ways. That's not acceptable. I have a feeling he isn't updating the firmware before sending the modules out, he's just changing the VIN. I say that because my HMI doesn't show the shop icon that others do and when I went to check the software version in SPS it showed there were updates available. 

Hang on... 

27 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Oh no! This could have been from an early 2016 model without the software update for Android Auto!

Let me verify that there is a setting for Android Auto in my version. I am almost positive there is. If he did mess up, send it back and make him pay shipping both ways. That's not acceptable. I have a feeling he isn't updating the firmware before sending the modules out, he's just changing the VIN. I say that because my HMI doesn't show the shop icon that others do and when I went to check the software version in SPS it showed there were updates available. 

Hang on... 

I noticed on that YouTube video the guy had the shop icon and I didn’t. Makes me wonder if the HMI would’ve been updated that Siri would’ve work after getting my radio updated. It did for the OP of the video. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, risk235 said:

I noticed on that YouTube video the guy had the shop icon and I didn’t. Makes me wonder if the HMI would’ve been updated that Siri would’ve work after getting my radio updated. It did for the OP of the video. 

Interesting thought, I will let you know!

I'll update my HMI first and install it into my truck and post the results.

I unfortunately suspect a radio module will still be required... 

Dokus said to send it back and he'd update it. The only other way is a dealer USB update. Waiting for a response from him on shipping. Not happy the update wasn't done beforehand, especially since the units were advertised as being compatible for both. Now I have to take it out and put my old one back in.

Dokus runs a business upgrading peoples I05 (non nav) units to I06 nav units. He then sells the customers old HMI's on eBay for $100 pre-programmed. It's a great deal for us but it leads me to believe there is no testing or upgrading done prior to him sending out vin-matched units.