Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

10 hours ago, aangrywombat said:

Honestly that's not a bad deal if it comes as a single order for both the radio and hmi already programmed. Did you have to trade in your old hmi?

Nope.  No NAV on mine, so this was an outright purchase.  Which is really nice, in the event anything goes haywire with the new unit.

8 hours ago, Druder said:

Excellent first post. That's a decent deal for people who were willing to pay $750 for this upgrade.

Thanks.  I thought it was a great deal as well.  New units were at the $750 number from DDS.  Reman at $550 (I got an extra $10 for calling in the order).  Units look like new.  Only difference I could tell is that I only get 90 days on the reman units.  Great people to deal with.  Suggest you call them directly, as they may not always have these in stock.

9 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Making even more progress! HMI has been updated to the newest software, which means Wifi compatibility ! OTA updates are enabled, meaning you will receive all future software updates for the HMI over a valid network connection! Also, the ability to download apps from the shop

Does that mean it's possible to add wifi to a 14 that didn't have wifi? Is the wifi antenna built into the HMI unit?  Not sure I would use it, but still curious about it. 

Does that mean it's possible to add wifi to a 14 that didn't have wifi? Is the wifi antenna built into the HMI unit?  Not sure I would use it, but still curious about it. 
You got it right! Wifi is contained within the HMI itself :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

did the 2.0 hmi have wifi or only the 2.5's? That be an easy way to tell which model you have. 
No the old ones don't have wifi. The easy way to tell is that Android auto and Carplay don't show up and there is no texting or projection icon.

8 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

You got it right! Wifi is contained within the HMI itself :)

Nice. I wonder how much fun it will be to get the people at GM to understand it's been upgraded and turn the service on when the vin comes back as a 14 that shouldn't have it. :lol:

4 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

No the old ones don't have wifi. The easy way to tell is that Android auto and Carplay don't show up and there is no texting or projection icon.

see, I had wifi, and texting. but no AA/CP. Soooo 2.0 or 2.5? lol 

Hmm, maybe I'm mistaken? What year is your truck? If you want to know positivity just pull out your HMI it's a few TORX screws and you'll be certain :)

2 hours ago, restorick2378 said:

Thanks.  I thought it was a great deal as well.  New units were at the $750 number from DDS.  Reman at $550 (I got an extra $10 for calling in the order).  Units look like new.  Only difference I could tell is that I only get 90 days on the reman units.  Great people to deal with.  Suggest you call them directly, as they may not always have these in stock.

Correction on the price.  Ebay list was $580, not $550.  I got it for $570.

The 2.0 hmi units are wifi capable. My 2016 was one of the ones made during the supply shortage and assembled with a 2.0 hmi, and it had wifi. My late 2015 also has wifi, but no aa/cp. I upgraded the hmi on the 2016, so I know for certain it had a 2.0, I assume the 2015 has a 2.0 as well, but I can't 100% confirm just this minute.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, th3magpi3 said:

1 hour ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

After some looking, the Wifi requires a different Bluetooth/wifi module that came out in 2015. It's separate from the HMI and radio. So I would bet you still have the 2.0 HMI and it just has the right software version to talk to the wifi module. 

Since I have a 2014 I'm pretty sure I would would have to upgrade my Bluetooth module to a newer one that has wifi if I wanted to make it work.  Looks to be part number 23261702. 

After some looking, the Wifi requires a different Bluetooth/wifi module that came out in 2015. It's separate from the HMI and radio. So I would bet you still have the 2.0 HMI and it just has the right software version to talk to the wifi module. 

Since I have a 2014 I'm pretty sure I would would have to upgrade my Bluetooth module to a newer one that has wifi if I wanted to make it work.  Looks to be part number 23261702. 
Don't see how that's possible. I have a 2014 and since I swapped the HMI and Radio I now have Wifi ;)

Bluetooth is also contained within the HMI, not a seperate module

31 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Don't see how that's possible. I have a 2014 and since I swapped the HMI and Radio I now have Wifi ;)

Bluetooth is also contained within the HMI, not a seperate module

I don't know for sure, just going on what info I can find that seems to make sense. Are you sure the Wifi actually works in your 14 and not just shows the option on the screen? Maybe it was a late production model that got the 2015 module. 

Here's what I'm basing my thoughts on. 

This is a 2014 Onstar/Bluetooth module. 

image.png.7799745e48ae06f9efc16972f3ee1e28.png

and here is a 2015 Module 

image.png.8503e88216d448fd210a47b0c9f3459b.png

Edited by truckmann