Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

10 minutes ago, sk said:

That is correct:

The 2.0 has pause/rewind but does not have HD but cannot handle Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

The 2.5 has HD but does not have pause/rewind but can be updated to include AA/CarPlay.

They discontinued the HD radio sometime in 2015. 2014s and early 2015s still had HD radio. I read it was due to reception issues. Then it came back in 2016.

Edited by truckmann

14 minutes ago, sk said:

That is correct:

The 2.0 has pause/rewind but does not have HD but cannot handle Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

The 2.5 has HD but does not have pause/rewind but can be updated to include AA/CarPlay.

Actually, the inclusion of HD radio isn't reliant on the HMI, but the radio module itself. A U2M radio is HD Radio capable, while a U2K radio is just a regular tuner (With XM). 

So, for example, I have a U2M radio in my truck, with a 2.5 HMI. I still have HD radio, but no pause or rewind. Just the higher quality signal. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Actually, the inclusion of HD radio isn't reliant on the HMI, but the radio module itself. A U2M radio is HD Radio capable, while a U2K radio is just a regular tuner (With XM). 

So, for example, I have a U2M radio in my truck, with a 2.5 HMI. I still have HD radio, but no pause or rewind. Just the higher quality signal. 

Technically you are correct.  My answer is basically the same as yours, I was just giving the "stock" answer since most 2.0 HMI's come with the U2K radio (pause/rewind but no HD) while most 2.5 HMI's come with the U2M radio (HD but no pause/rewind).  As a side note the 2014 and some early 2015's came with the previous version of the U2M radio module which is why they had HD but with degraded signal.

Now once you start mixing-and-matching with custom programming like you are doing then all bets are off.  That's why it's great that you and others are experimenting with this stuff :thumbs:

Edited by sk

On 9/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, Ryno12 said:

I don’t recall if I, or anyone else, mentioned it but I lost the ability to pause/rewind live radio when I upgraded to the 2.5 module.

Not sure if that matters to many but I was bummed to lose that function.

I will be slightly bummed to lose the pause/rewind function; but I think ACP/AA will be way more useful( for me at least).

I will be slightly bummed to lose the pause/rewind function; but I think ACP/AA will be way more useful( for me at least).

I was bummed to lose that functionality. Given a choice, I would’ve preferred to lose the HD radio as I primarily listen to XM, but they didn’t ask my opinion. :)

Why they’d remove that feature is beyond me.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:47 PM, th3magpi3 said:

Quick and dirty video from an old phone. Thank you everyone for your patience and following along. PM me for inquiries, I'll have pricing available shortly :)

I received my new radio module and pulled my newer HMI back out of the truck. Both are packed up and ready to send to the Great White North for programming. PM sent.

• Like 2

Hey guys, just wanted to point something out to you all.

If you're upgrading a stereo that uses BOSE make sure the module younger came from a truck that had BOSE (RPO UQA)

If you're truck doesn't have Bose, make sure you get a module from a truck that doesn't have Bose!

They use different calibrations in the radios. The regular radios output an analogue signal while the Bose radios output a digital signal to an amplifier.

I am working on getting this fixed so any module can be used, Bose or not, but for the time being this is how it has to work.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Hey guys, just wanted to point something out to you all.

If you're upgrading a stereo that uses BOSE make sure the module younger came from a truck that had BOSE (RPO UQA)

If you're truck doesn't have Bose, make sure you get a module from a truck that doesn't have Bose!

They use different calibrations in the radios. The regular radios output an analogue signal while the Bose radios output a digital signal to an amplifier.

I am working on getting this fixed so any module can be used, Bose or not, but for the time being this is how it has to work.

Thanks everyone.

Very good to know!!

The best way to find out is to contact the seller that you're buying from and ask for the vehicles VIN. You can send me the VIN and I can pull RPO codes for you guys. I will gather some generic part numbers for you all that I know to be working.

The best way to find out is to contact the seller that you're buying from and ask for the vehicles VIN. You can send me the VIN and I can pull RPO codes for you guys. I will gather some generic part numbers for you all that I know to be working.

Sort of on topic, sort of not. I noticed the MyChevy app was updated yesterday. The changelog says "customers will be able to use their myChevrolet app in Apple CarPlay so they can interact with some of the app's features through the vehicle's infotainment screen." 

Anybody tried this yet? Just curious if this works for the modded trucks, what this is like, and what all it can do. I currently have my 2.5 HMI pulled out, so I can't test at the moment. I also don't see an icon under the CarPlay section of the phone settings yet.

1 hour ago, Kevin Smith said:

Sort of on topic, sort of not. I noticed the MyChevy app was updated yesterday. The changelog says "customers will be able to use their myChevrolet app in Apple CarPlay so they can interact with some of the app's features through the vehicle's infotainment screen." 

Anybody tried this yet? Just curious if this works for the modded trucks, what this is like, and what all it can do. I currently have my 2.5 HMI pulled out, so I can't test at the moment. I also don't see an icon under the CarPlay section of the phone settings yet.

The icon won't show up in the phone settings but it will show up in the car.  Its on the 2nd screen of the CarPlay menu in the car.  

It lists dealer info but pretty useless.

• Thanks 1

On 10/4/2018 at 11:06 PM, Kevin Smith said:

I received my new radio module and pulled my newer HMI back out of the truck. Both are packed up and ready to send to the Great White North for programming. PM sent.

Not do disparage anyone (and its probably going to come off that way my apologies) but why would you send these to Canada when we program more HMI's than likely any company on earth other than say Bosch or GM service LOL Heck half the companies that advertise this service we do their programming for them and have been doing so since 2012 (for 2013MY CUE). 

We also offer THE source for real unlocking programming: video in motion, nav entry in motion, front or rear camera in motion, adding texting to 2014's (early 2015's as well) , custom color color/theme changes, custom radio tuner maps, chime lowering/deletion etc; ALL from the factory unit(s) no aftermarket junk. Also we offer things like 2019 Maps for half of what GM charges, updates to the latest OS etc.

The BIG one for this conversion is we are also THE source for custom cluster retrofit programming so you can ACTUALLY USE the steering wheel controls for Siri! (and all the other missing functions). Something you can't do if you simply slap the modules in (more often than not with mismatched MOST bus revisions and software). 

And....to boot we're a real licensed tax paying insured company LOL 

Edited by GTPprix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GTPprix said:

Not do disparage anyone (and its probably going to come off that way my apologies) but why would you send these to Canada when we program more HMI's than likely any company on earth other than say Bosch or GM service LOL Heck half the companies that advertise this service we do their programming for them and have been doing so since 2012 (for 2013MY CUE). 

We also offer THE source for real unlocking programming: video in motion, nav entry in motion, front or rear camera in motion, adding texting to 2014's (early 2015's as well) , custom color color/theme changes, custom radio tuner maps, chime lowering/deletion etc; ALL from the factory unit(s) no aftermarket junk. Also we offer things like 2019 Maps for half of what GM charges, updates to the latest OS etc.

The BIG one for this conversion is we are also THE source for custom cluster retrofit programming so you can ACTUALLY USE the steering wheel controls for Siri! (and all the other missing functions). Something you can't do if you simply slap the modules in (more often than not with mismatched MOST bus revisions and software). 

And....to boot we're a real licensed tax paying insured company LOL 

I can only speak for myself, but the reasons I did it were obviously cost and also curiosity about how this process works. I don't have the wherewithal to do this myself; but I don't mind trying to help someone else figure it out. I respect that you have a lot of time and money invested in your business. I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a living. Obviously, it would have been faster to go with your company. I've had my truck 4 years without AA/ACP, I can wait a little longer. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

I can only speak for myself, but the reasons I did it were obviously cost and also curiosity about how this process works. I don't have the wherewithal to do this myself; but I don't mind trying to help someone else figure it out. I respect that you have a lot of time and money invested in your business. I don't begrudge anyone trying to make a living. Obviously, it would have been faster to go with your company. I've had my truck 4 years without AA/ACP, I can wait a little longer. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

I’m pretty sure our standard off the shelf retrofit programming (not talking feature unlock service ) is likely cheaper when you factor in shipping to Canada lol That and there is no figuring it out it’s done right at an oem

Quality level the first time; you’re not a guinea pig we buy cars to do development on [emoji4]

Edit: and no offense taken :)