Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

27 minutes ago, mfennema said:

The only real reason I'm considering it is so I can have Google Maps or maybe Waze in the future on the head unit instead of having to look at my phone to see the map. I have a nav unit now and I would be willing to downgrade to save the money going to IO5 to essentially pay for the whole swap. I hate the GM nav interface with a passion so I never use it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Got it. I'd be willing to give you a smoking deal on an IO5 module (have one that was new but used for development so basically still new lol) 

Drop us a line from our website and reference this conversation (if thats the route you want to take obviously! :))  

Edited by GTPprix

1 hour ago, GTPprix said:

Got it. I'd be willing to give you a smoking deal on an IO5 module (have one that was new but used for development so basically still new lol) 

Drop us a line from our website and reference this conversation (if thats the route you want to take obviously! :))  

Just sent you an email through your website.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:
Because you charge almost more for a simple programming than the actual modules cost, Chris.

I've been offering the service to forum members for $100 for BOTH units.

Chris charges $200. I'm trying to help some of these people out by giving them a fair price on this simple service.

That's why somebody might want to ship them my way instead.

Competition helps everyone. Maybe if you offered FAIR prices people wouldn't be sending their stuff to me. Food for thought.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Our basic service is $99 others may opt for other options but both modules are $99 for the absolute basic get it running no frills service. Want to mismatch hardware or other requests then yes the price goes up which is why we urge people to research the combination first before purchasing hardware. 

Edited by GTPprix

Just now, th3magpi3 said:

Funny, because in our conversations and your conversation with others on this board the price was always $200 for both modules.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Because you likely had a mismatch in hardware as do many others going down this road hence the above comment. 

Funny you say that, because I only ever provided you with the radio part number and $200 was the quoted price before you even got my VIN. 

I'm not interested in a back and forth here. If you offer a fair priced service, great. That's what this is all for. To stop people from getting completely ripped off by greedy programmers.

Competition is great for everyone. To anyone who's reading this, feel free to go with whoever you'd like for programming. 

Have a great rest of your week, y'all. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GTPprix said:

Tried pming you but it says you can’t receive messages.  I’m interested in a similar setup.  I have factory nav in my 2014, but don’t really care to have it if I had CarPlay.  Do want to keep my XM though.

So it’s been exactly a year since I did the module upgrade. Out of the blue this weekend, all the buttons on the bottom and the icons across the top, disappear after a few seconds. Once I touch the screen, they all come back for about 5 seconds, then disappear again. If I don’t touch the screen at all after I start the truck, the icons remain on indefinitely or until any button is pressed on the screen. Sometimes the presets remain & sometimes they disappear too.

Weird.

50b289ee1938730312dfbedf50a84843.jpg

ba4198e5e57406817bdbd32bdd6a1b2c.jpg

f7e735746c704886834d4f88d5f33fc6.jpg

13 hours ago, tsdrumm said:

Tried pming you but it says you can’t receive messages.  I’m interested in a similar setup.  I have factory nav in my 2014, but don’t really care to have it if I had CarPlay.  Do want to keep my XM though.

Yup PM's are off to keep traffic through one source; our website. You can drop us a line there anytime! :) Keeping XM isn't an issue you'd just transfer radio service from one ID to another. 

9 hours ago, Ryno12 said:

So it’s been exactly a year since I did the module upgrade. Out of the blue this weekend, all the buttons on the bottom and the icons across the top, disappear after a few seconds. Once I touch the screen, they all come back for about 5 seconds, then disappear again. If I don’t touch the screen at all after I start the truck, the icons remain on indefinitely or until any button is pressed on the screen. Sometimes the presets remain & sometimes they disappear too.

Weird.

50b289ee1938730312dfbedf50a84843.jpg

ba4198e5e57406817bdbd32bdd6a1b2c.jpg

f7e735746c704886834d4f88d5f33fc6.jpg

Hmm looks like you may have some internal flash corruption/failure. You can try having it reprogrammed and see if it lives, very unlikely to have just one byte fail though have you noticed anything else odd/off? 

This thread was started to bypass people like GTPrix and MVI, they should stop trying to hijack the thread. th3magpi3 was kind enough give us a reasonably priced programming option instead of being greedy about it. MVI wouldn't even properly answer my questions with previous emails.

• Like 3

Here are my two cents on this..Take it for what's its worth.

1.  I have been using WAMS for the last 2-1/2 years for all my programming needs.  They have been doing it for a very long time and have proven results.  Many of my upgrades were possible because of WAMS.  I wouldn't go anywhere else.  

2.  I see it time and time again (especially on FB).  Things get added that wasn't supposed to be added, and things don't work or stop working.  These trucks are a computer, and if it ain't done right, can have repercussions... tamper/security flags are triggered, etc.  If you are under warranty, would you want to risk any of that?  I know I wouldn't.  I certainly wouldn't want to trust anyone else with the stuff I put in my truck 

3.  Pricing has ranged from $49 - $349 depending on the scope.  The larger the scope, the higher the price.  What we are doing to our trucks are very custom (not dealer supported) things.  We are adding things that weren't meant to be added.  I have looked at 1600 pages of electric schematics and there are MANY wiring differences, differences between years, between trims, and between options.  Hardware/Programming is no different.  Many differences in hardware, revision changes, etc.  There is a significant amount of R&D that has to happen before a service is sold/provided.  That R&D cost $.  There is a significant amount of time spent and invested.  I see people complaining about pricing and calling others greedy, but the pricing being referenced is the same on their website?  What do you think a dealer would charge to do this type of stuff?  I took my truck in and had to pay $150 just to diagnose a problem, only to learn that the replacement part was $20.  

4.  WAMS is not MVI.  In fact, MVI sends most of their custom programming needs to WAMS to be programmed like many of the others out there that offers this type of service.  

If having it done right is not important, or the "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" bodes well with you, then go for it.  But for me, having it done right is THE most important for me and hope it is for all of you.  I wouldn't trust anyone else with my stuff other than WAMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

22 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Here are my two cents on this..Take it for what's its worth.

1.  I have been using WAMS for the last 2-1/2 years for all my programming needs.  They have been doing it for a very long time and have proven results.  Many of my upgrades were possible because of WAMS.  I wouldn't go anywhere else.  

2.  I see it time and time again (especially on FB).  Things get added that wasn't supposed to be added, and things don't work or stop working.  These trucks are a computer, and if it ain't done right, can have repercussions... tamper/security flags are triggered, etc.  If you are under warranty, would you want to risk any of that?  I know I wouldn't.  I certainly wouldn't want to trust anyone else with the stuff I put in my truck 

3.  Pricing has ranged from $49 - $349 depending on the scope.  The larger the scope, the higher the price.  What we are doing to our trucks are very custom (not dealer supported) things.  We are adding things that weren't meant to be added.  I have looked at 1600 pages of electric schematics and there are MANY wiring differences, differences between years, between trims, and between options.  Hardware/Programming is no different.  Many differences in hardware, revision changes, etc.  There is a significant amount of R&D that has to happen before a service is sold/provided.  That R&D cost $.  There is a significant amount of time spent and invested.  I see people complaining about pricing and calling others greedy, but the pricing being referenced is the same on their website?  What do you think a dealer would charge to do this type of stuff?  I took my truck in and had to pay $150 just to diagnose a problem, only to learn that the replacement part was $20.  

4.  WAMS is not MVI.  In fact, MVI sends most of their custom programming needs to WAMS to be programmed like many of the others out there that offers this type of service.  

If having it done right is not important, or the "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" bodes well with you, then go for it.  But for me, having it done right is THE most important for me and hope it is for all of you.  I wouldn't trust anyone else with my stuff other than WAMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well stated.  I am on the same train as you are, in that I want it to be done right and I don't want to have to figure it out myself even though I'm sure I could.  However, I also applaud those that do figure it out like th3magpi3 and wish to offer their services for others.  As it has been stated in this thread, competition is good for both parties and they offer different service levels for different people.

So I've been lurking on this thread for a few days (which is a GREAT thread, by the way) and I decided to purchase a 2.5 HMI from Dokus on eBay for $225 w/ VIN programming.  I figure that since the truck had a $200 credit when I bought it for not having AA/CP, this cost me $25 plus shipping.

Here's my situation:  my truck is a 2016 Silverado LT without factory nav that was a part of the parts shortage and didn't come with AA/CP, but everything else appeared to be ready for AA/CP.  The truck came with the updated USB ports in the center console.  When I contacted Dokus, I asked if it was going to be a simple plug and play deal with the HMI and he said yes, so I decided to pull the trigger.

I installed the HMI last night.  It was super easy to remove the lower glove box (4 - T-15 bolts), unplug the connectors, and slide the old HMI out and reverse the process to install the new HMI.

Android Auto works perfectly with my Pixel 2 XL. OK Google voice commands, steering wheel volume up/down and forward/back buttons, long press of steering wheel speak button to access Google Assistant, Maps/navigation, Google Play Music, iHeart Radio App, voice texting, and voice dialing all work perfectly.  If you have a 2016 shortage vehicle and you're on the fence about doing this, DO IT.  You won't be disappointed.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially th3magpi3, for going out and trying anything and everything for those that have pre-2016 trucks.  Also, shout out to Draphty for having a similar experience to me with his 2016 shortage truck which gave me more confidence to do this.

Here's a picture of the 2.0 and 2.5 HMI modules.

IMG_20181010_180634.jpg

Edited by DanJS10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Hell yeah, Dan! 

Congrats on getting it done. You're fortunate in the fact that the 2016's have the necessary components to allow for steering wheel control as well as no need to purchase USB ports or a radio.

Enjoy your new stereo!

P.S. - Looks like Dokus has raised his prices by over 100%. I bought my HMI for $99. It's a shame. 

Thanks man.  It's been great so far.  My kids were amazed this morning when I was showing them how it worked on the way to school! lol

Yeah, I noticed that Dokus had raised his prices.  I'm pretty sure that he's still cheaper than other sellers because he offers both the module and basic programming in one package.  I don't really blame him for trying to capitalize on what has been a fairly popular upgrade for shortage 2016 and earlier trucks.  That's a pretty large market, but it also opens up opportunities for people like you to go out on a limb and offer similar services at a lower price point.