Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I have a Factory Nav module, HMI 2.0, and the USB/SD Reader for sale after upgrading mine in my 2015 Sierra SLT by MVI.  I'm asking $300 for the whole package.  It has the last map update (2017 version)...  

I know it's been brought up before; but my experience is that Apple Carplay works better with this mod than Android Auto. If I use my Iphone , I still have steering wheel volume control and voice commands ( for texts and calls), and sometimes I have dic info that is accurate. On my Nexus 5x I have no volume control on steering wheel and no info on dic. I don't know what the results would be if we updated the gauge cluster. My dic is usually on mph, and my arm is long enough to reach the volume knob on the radio; so it's not a big deal. I guess none of this is a big deal, except for the reading and recording of text messages by voice; I think that could be a game changer in regard to safety. I am older/ middle aged, but I still can be distracted by my phone.

Hi,

I got my USB port and hmi module. I was also able to update the radio and hmi to the latest version via gm sps. So every thing is working except from Siri is not talking...... so I had the text app in the old hmi, but just the radio update doesn’t help. Has anyone an idea or did I need the radio module?

Thanks

Pierre

Hi,

I got my USB port and hmi module. I was also able to update the radio and hmi to the latest version via gm sps. So every thing is working except from Siri is not talking...... so I had the text app in the old hmi, but just the radio update doesn’t help. Has anyone an idea or did I need the radio module?

Thanks

Pierre
Based on what I read previously in the thread, there are a lot of variables, but if you're driving a 2015 or earlier model, you'll need both the HMI and radio modules for full functionality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Habnixzuverliern said:

Hi,

Thanks

Pierre

Did you buy the hmi new? 

22 minutes ago, Habnixzuverliern said:

Hi,

Thanks

Pierre

Pierre,

Your radio is not compatible. You need the newer 2016 radio as well. SPS updating will not give you functionality, as the hardware itself is different. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 7:37 PM, adverbius said:

Just found this thread today and read through the whole thing.  Some great info here, and most importantly, enough explanation and research to save me a lot of money.  I was planning to buy a whole new radio and HMI (MVI was the most likely seller) which was going to take time to save up for.  As it turns out, I was able to verify that my 2016 Silverado was one that suffered from insufficient stock syndrome.  That's a LOT more manageable, so I just ordered a 2.5 HMI from dokus so will hopefully have AA by next weekend. :)  I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks to @Darmichar for starting the conversation!  I'm guessing it has helped a lot of people out (me included).  And thanks to everyone who contributed, especially @th3magpi3.  

So, almost 3 weeks later and I'm finally up and running!  I delayed updating here as I wanted to bring a positive outcome.  Unfortunately, the journey wasn't without its problems.  The HMI module I ordered was delivered very quickly, but when I plugged it in, it threw a "Calibrate Device" error, and the radio wouldn't start up with it installed.  Mike (dokus223) was great to work with, tho, and took the module back, verified that the programming wasn't right, reflashed the VIN and got it back to me.  I got it installed tonight and (after a brief red "No VIN" msg pause to make me flinch) it's working great!  I tested both AA and ACP and both have full functionality for me.

It seems the HMI is from a newer truck than mine since it adds some functions other than AA & ACP.  App downloads, myChevrolet connectivity, and WiFi connection to name a few.  Wifi connects just fine, but the others I note won't connect.  I'm curious to know whether those will even work with my config; any thoughts?  No big deal for me since my primary goal (AA) has been met.

• Like 1

@Darmichar Any luck?

Im also trying to do this upgrade for my 2015 Silverado 1500. I found some parts online but im not sure if these are going to work with my truck. I just followed @Ben Bassinger list of parts he used earlier in the thread. Im reluctant to buy them I want to make sure they will work. Also I need a programmer either WAMS as that's what he used or @th3magpi3 can possibly help me out. As it being a 2015 I will be purchasing the newer radio module ( I would like the HD radio), HMI 2.5 Module and the updated USB ports. I attached photos of the parts that I found online. I really just want Apple Car Play. 

Recently joined the thread and I'm happy to be on here. Great community!

IMG_8839.PNG

IMG_8841.PNG

IMG_8840.PNG

[mention=141804]Darmichar[/mention] Any luck?

Im also trying to do this upgrade for my 2015 Silverado 1500. I found some parts online but im not sure if these are going to work with my truck. I just followed [mention=45186]Ben Bassinger[/mention] list of parts he used earlier in the thread. Im reluctant to buy them I want to make sure they will work. Also I need a programmer either WAMS as that's what he used or [mention=192095]th3magpi3[/mention] can possibly help me out. As it being a 2015 I will be purchasing the newer radio module ( I would like the HD radio), HMI 2.5 Module and the updated USB ports. I attached photos of the parts that I found online. I really just want Apple Car Play. 
Recently joined the thread and I'm happy to be on here. Great community!

IMG_8839.thumb.PNG.ff8f8be24e531fb2038a355f79573506.PNG
IMG_8841.thumb.PNG.6859d2d9cc0447888456dd32a2244a5f.PNG
IMG_8840.thumb.PNG.448d6d1ced31f6305e3f227a1e23a176.PNG

Happy to take care of you drop us a line from our website and we can go over everything.

Thanks I saw that. 

I went ahead and ordered all 3 three items. New USB Module (P/N: 13509942), Used Radio Module (P/N: 23402909), and used 2.5 HMI module (P/N: 84028492) . What are some programing options that I can get with this besides the apple car play? I seen that some people have Video playback, back up camera always on, GM NAV, etc. Also do prices change for each custom option program?

2 minutes ago, Czarking said:

Thanks I saw that. 

I went ahead and ordered all 3 three items. New USB Module (P/N: 13509942), Used Radio Module (P/N: 23402909), and used 2.5 HMI module (P/N: 84028492) . What are some programing options that I can get with this besides the apple car play? I seen that some people have Video playback, back up camera always on, GM NAV, etc. Also do prices change for each custom option program?

Please drop us a line from our website and we can discuss all the options; thanks! 

22 hours ago, GTPprix said:

Please drop us a line from our website and we can discuss all the options; thanks! 

Do you only pimp your services on this forum or do you ever actually answer questions people have where the answers could help others???

• Like 1