Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I don't know for sure, just going on what info I can find that seems to make sense. Are you sure the Wifi actually works in your 14 and not just shows the option on the screen? Maybe it was a late production model that go the 2015 module. 

Here's what I'm basing my thoughts on. 

This is a 2014 Onstar/Bluetooth module. 
image.png.7799745e48ae06f9efc16972f3ee1e28.png

and here is a 2015 Module 
image.png.8503e88216d448fd210a47b0c9f3459b.png

Ahh I see where the confusion is.

So, there's 2 different types of Wifi we're discussing.

The OnStar module has wifi because OnStar provides a service to allow your truck to be a mobile hotspot. You purchase data from them and can use it on the road.

It makes its own network.

The HMI contains a wifi receiver which allows you to connect to networks to download updates and such.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Ahh I see where the confusion is.

So, there's 2 different types of Wifi we're discussing.

The OnStar module has wifi because OnStar provides a service to allow your truck to be a mobile hotspot. You purchase data from them and can use it on the road.

It makes its own network.

The HMI contains a wifi receiver which allows you to connect to networks to download updates and such.

Does that make sense?

Yep. Makes sense. I didn't know you could connect the HMI to wifi. I just figured it was getting all its data from the onstar module. Cool that it work like that. I don't care that much about having wifi from onstar since I can just use my phone as a hotspot. 

Edited by truckmann

Yep. Makes sense. I didn't know you could connect to the HMI to wifi. I just figured it was getting all its data from the onstar module. Cool that it work like that. I don't care that much about having wifi from onstar since I can just use my phone as a hotspot. 

I think it's mainly used as a selling feature.

Yep. Makes sense. I didn't know you could connect to the HMI to wifi. I just figured it was getting all its data from the onstar module. Cool that it work like that. I don't care that much about having wifi from onstar since I can just use my phone as a hotspot. 

I think it's mainly used as a selling feature.

So I know this has been hit multiple times but I wanted to have someone confirm it for me. I have a 2015 z71 with navigation and Bose audio. It was bought in 2014. So based on what I have read I should need a new 2.5 HMI and a radio upgrade that are both programmed for my VIN and an upgrade to my USB connectors? I don’t care about the navigation so I plan on saving money there if I can. 

Also so thanks for all the hard work you have all been doing on his. It is impressive and makes me want to try and help in any way I can. 

Just now, dubwise said:

Just got my 2.5 HMI and Radio back from Chis White Auto - installed everything along with the USB plug and now I'm getting this error. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any ideas? This is on a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT.

WhatsApp Image 2018-09-13 at 5.56.29 PM (1).jpeg

Yep. Your date and time is different. Probably set to sometime in january and like 2013?

Set it to the proper date and time, toggle the key in the on and off position 5-7 times, start the vehicle, turn it off, restart your phone, turn the truck back on and connect them back up. 

If that doesnt work I usually just go for a drive without the phone plugged in and do another restart. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Yep. Your date and time is different. Probably set to sometime in january and like 2013?

Set it to the proper date and time, toggle the key in the on and off position 5-7 times, start the vehicle, turn it off, restart your phone, turn the truck back on and connect them back up. 

If that doesnt work I usually just go for a drive without the phone plugged in and do another restart. 

This ^^^

My module acted the same way.  I fixed it by:

1.  Updating date/time on the radio

2.  Uninstalling AA on my Galaxy S8

3.  Reinstalling AA fresh on the S8

4.  Connecting in the truck

I've heard that cabling can also cause this, you may need to get a newer USB cable.

Good luck!

Rick

I managed to fix this after tinkering around with it for more than 5 mins. I verified date/time and everything was correct. I ended up factory resetting the radio under the settings and that did the trick! I thought for sure that would have been done when the unit was programmed, but apparently not.

Anyway I'm up and going now. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

I just got my setup back from Chris at WAMS. He did an outstanding job and fast turn around. I purchased a used 2.5 HMI and 2016 radio module as well as the new USB port for the center console from eBay. Sent the radio and hmi to WAMS and he programmed them and sent them back. Took 20 minutes to swap everything out. Works great! He even put the latest software on it. Worth every penny! I had NAV so I got the hmi with NAV. System is so much faster and my CarPlay is back. I also get HD radio now since the 2016 radio modules have that.

18 minutes ago, Ben Bassinger said:

I just got my setup back from Chris at WAMS. He did an outstanding job and fast turn around. I purchased a used 2.5 HMI and 2016 radio module as well as the new USB port for the center console from eBay. Sent the radio and hmi to WAMS and he programmed them and sent them back. Took 20 minutes to swap everything out. Works great! He even put the latest software on it. Worth every penny! I had NAV so I got the hmi with NAV. System is so much faster and my CarPlay is back. I also get HD radio now since the 2016 radio modules have that.

Mind if I ask what he charges to do this? I have a 2.5 HMI (non nav) and the usb port now and looking for a deal on the radio module. Just wondering what programming is going to cost me.