Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Well that sounds like a pain, it's amazing how you own the truck and they decide what you can and can't do with it.

I know, right?! I was shocked at how uncooperative they were. I basically gave them my credit card info & told them to send the signal to my radio ID. It should’ve been as simple as that, and yet they still refused.

I was just about to commit to a year with them, guess I'll wait to see how this all comes together. I just bought everything but I need to flash the module and get XM on board or drop them and use my phone.

I was just about to commit to a year with them, guess I'll wait to see how this all comes together. I just bought everything but I need to flash the module and get XM on board or drop them and use my phone.

I had to use this number to call them, (888) 465-8528. I believe this is for dealerships only & I even still always had to request to speak to a manager. Being that I’m not a dealership, I sometimes had to be stern with them so they’d give me the time of day.
The XM reps that answered generic CS number listed on their website we’re never able to do anything for me. They always blamed it on their computer system saying that it will not let them override the system when the radio ID & VIN information differs from what is listed in their database.

Hopefully you guys will have better luck than I did.

4 minutes ago, Ryno12 said:

I had to use this number to call them, (888) 465-8528. I believe this is for dealerships only & I even still always had to request to speak to a manager. Being that I’m not a dealership, I sometimes had to be stern with them so they’d give me the time of day.
The XM reps that answered generic CS number listed on their website we’re never able to do anything for me. They always blamed it on their computer system saying that it will not let them override the system when the radio ID & VIN information differs from what is listed in their database.

Hopefully you guys will have better luck than I did.

What is travel link? If you just called and added a regular package wouldn't they just think you were in the 2017 truck and let you sign up?

What is travel link? If you just called and added a regular package wouldn't they just think you were in the 2017 truck and let you sign up?

It’s an add on package that I mostly got for the weather & traffic apps. Probably not important to many people but I wanted it.

They might be better to deal with if all XM features are the same between radios. Mine was not, so it proved to be more difficult to get the services that weren’t available on my original radio.
(Although it was still a hassle for me to just get the standard music package.)

6 minutes ago, Ryno12 said:

It’s an add on package that I mostly got for the weather & traffic apps. Probably not important to many people but I wanted it.

They might be better to deal with if all XM features are the same between radios. Mine was not, so it proved to be more difficult to get the services that weren’t available on my original radio.
(Although it was still a hassle for me to just get the standard music package.)

Yea I guess all I'm saying is if you call up and add a new subscription to your radio ID and give them only.your radio ID and not vin it should work in theory right?

Yea I guess all I'm saying is if you call up and add a new subscription to your radio ID and give them only.your radio ID and not vin it should work in theory right?

In theory, yes. I do recall though that you still need supply them with some info about your vehicle. It may help if you know the information on the vehicle that’s been originally paired with your new radio ID.
So when they ask about your vehicle and you say “2015 Silverado”, then they ask for the radio ID, you tell them, and they say, “Sorry, that ID is registered to a 2018 Yukon XL”. That’s when everything goes downhill.

Thinking back, I even tried giving them the ID only on one of my many calls to XM. The person stated the vehicle, “2017 Silverado”, I confirmed & it still didn’t work after they tried sending the signal.

Another funny thing is, I recall on more than one occasion, different reps saying mine was linked to a 2016 Cadillac and not a 2017 Silverado. I just said “ok, whatever”.

It was a messed up deal, I tell ya...

So, I know you guys are slogging away in here trying to figure out the cheapest way to add Carplay/Android Auto to your trucks.  I think, last night, I figured out THE most expensive way to go about it...

The rebates and employee pricing discount I get through Cat were just too good.  That, and I wasn't a big fan of the body styling on the '19. (and it has Carplay.)

Truck1small.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

Someone needs to do up a spreadsheet. If you have X year truck you need y. If you have z truck you need yy, and so on lol. 

Once I start getting P/N's from people with 2015's of their modules that work without the swap I'll get on it. Until then, I've gotta wait. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, th3magpi3 said:

Oh yea she needs to be programmed. 

As of right now, I don't know if this is something even the dealership can do. It is against GM policy to swap a used part into a vehicle and it might not even be possible for them to swap.

As of right now, it looks like sending it to our boy Dokus might be the only option. 

No a dealer can't do it.  Their software only allows them to program an OEM option based on your VIN.

Just have Chris White do it.  He costs a little more but is not a fly-by-night operation.  You will get a module delivered back to you that is plug-and-play ready for your truck.

On 8/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, rusty503 said:

I did buy a radio module off ebay that is supposedly virgin. It does state on the label that it does have HD. I have not installed it yet because I am waiting for the USB ports.
Part number 84278527

Do NOT install it without getting it programmed for your VIN.  It will set flags in the BCM that can't be cleared.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, Darmichar said:

Call me crazy but I could swear mine has HD radio already.  Thers a menu in the stereo where I can have it scan for stations and it will show the -1 -2, etc stations.  When you're listening to ne of those you can even pause/rewind, etc. 

Is that something different?

If your sig is correct you have a 2018 which comes with HD radio already.

18 minutes ago, sk said:

Do NOT install it without getting it programmed for your VIN.  It will set flags in the BCM that can't be cleared.

If your sig is correct you have a 2018 which comes with HD radio already.

I've already attempted to install the radio unit without getting it programmed. It didn't go so well. What kind of Flash's does it set off. Do I need to do something about my BCM now?