Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

12 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

Hmm, in my 2015, it will read the texts to me. Hows this different in the 2.5? 

In the YouTube comments in the video this post is about somebody stated that the 2.0 HMIs did not have the texting app available. You may have a 2.5 HMI

2 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

In the YouTube comments in the video this post is about somebody stated that the 2.0 HMIs did not have the texting app available. You may have a 2.5 HMI

soooo...maybe just the USB update needed? or software updated? Any way to tell without tearing things apart? 

1 minute ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

soooo...maybe just the USB update needed? or software updated? Any way to tell without tearing things apart? 

I believe there is a way to tell your HMI version through the advanced settings menu. I will get back to you when I'm at my truck

So I just finished installing the HMI and USB connector in my 2015. Just like everyone on here, Siri doesn’t work and calls will transfer to my phone instead of playing over the speakers. Everything else works fine. I called a couple of dealerships about updating the firmware and it’s $135-$145. I can’t believe it’s so expensive just for an update. 

2 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

2014s and early 2015s did not have the texting app. I guess at some point the 2015s came with a newer 2.0 HMI with the texting app. I seen posters on this forum refer to those trucks as 2015.5 which is what I have. I was really hoping I didn’t need to update the firmware on the radio but alas I going to have to 

Edited by risk235
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, risk235 said:

2014s and early 2015s did not have the texting app. I guess at some point the 2015s came with a newer 2.0 HMI with the texting app. I seen posters on this forum refer to those trucks as 2015.5 which is what I have. I was really hoping I didn’t need to update the firmware on the radio but alas I going to have to 

Did you have the texting icon on your screen before installing the new HMI? AKA a 2015.5?

If your flash works and the issues are solved, fantastic. Also, if everything works, if you ever have the radio bezel off feel free to pop your radio out and make note of your modules manufacture date and GM part # so we can better catalog which ones can simply be updated and which ones require replacement. 

And yes, it's completely stupid that a dealership charges so much for a software update. Guess how much apple charges to update a cheap phone? Nothing. Guess how much we get charged to update our trucks that cost upwards of 50k? Yep, in the hundreds. Ridiculous. 

20 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Did you have the texting icon on your screen before installing the new HMI? AKA a 2015.5?

If your flash works and the issues are solved, fantastic. Also, if everything works, if you ever have the radio bezel off feel free to pop your radio out and make note of your modules manufacture date and GM part # so we can better catalog which ones can simply be updated and which ones require replacement. 

And yes, it's completely stupid that a dealership charges so much for a software update. Guess how much apple charges to update a cheap phone? Nothing. Guess how much we get charged to update our trucks that cost upwards of 50k? Yep, in the hundreds. Ridiculous. 

Yes I had the text app before. I never really used it because it only works with Android. If I remember correctly, when my friend hooked up his Android phone it allowed him to type a response when viewing messages but only when in parked. I think when in drive you can only select from predefined responses when replying to a message and have MyLink read out loud messages. When I get a chance I’ll try to get the radio module number 

Edited by risk235

Good info going in this thread. I just cancelled my radio module firmware update appointment based on what I'm hearing. So now that I need to replace the radio module with a newer unit, what part numbers can we confirm are working? I see some out there that look decently priced. I just want myself and others to make sure we are getting usable units.

1 hour ago, Kevin Smith said:

Good info going in this thread. I just cancelled my radio module firmware update appointment based on what I'm hearing. So now that I need to replace the radio module with a newer unit, what part numbers can we confirm are working? I see some out there that look decently priced. I just want myself and others to make sure we are getting usable units.

I think we're all on hold waiting on @th3magpi3 to report his findings.

Radio module has cleared customs and is waiting for me at home. T-20 mins until I'm out of work. I'll update as soon as I test. Big camping trip tomorrow so this will get done tonight. 

Edited by th3magpi3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Radio module has cleared customs and is waiting for me at home. T-20 mins until I'm out of work. I'll update as soon as I test. Big camping trip tomorrow so this will get done tonight. 

No hurry.  I've been where you are, I wanted to report as soon a possible but didn't want to screw something up in the process.

• Like 1

Just now, Darmichar said:

No hurry.  I've been where you are, I wanted to report as soon a possible but didn't want to screw something up in the process.

Well yea, I obviously have to get a slice in me and at least 2 beers before I start the process. I'll keep y'all up to speed. 

Also, the VCX Nano seems to be a piece of shit. I'm going to return it after this job and get a proper J2534 programmer or a GM MDI.

I have a 2015 with the 8" navigation, my question is if I install the hmi 2.5 without nav (i05?) Will it work  just minus the nav, or do I have to get the version with nav (i06?)?  I could care less about losing navigation if I can use Google maps I'm never going to use it anyways 

Just now, rahool82 said:

I have a 2015 with the 8" navigation, my question is if I install the hmi 2.5 without nav (i05?) Will it work  just minus the nav, or do I have to get the version with nav (i06?)?  I could care less about losing navigation if I can use Google maps I'm never going to use it anyways 

You can swap in an I05. And to be honest, you can probably sell your I06 and pay for the entire swap and still profit. People pay good $$$ for the factory nav.