Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Hello everyone.  I am kinda new to the party.  I just got a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 8" screen and no Nav.  I have been going through this forum to try and find out exactly everything I need.  So far I am 99.9% sure I need a 2.5 HMI pre-programmed to my VIN as well as a USB adapter to replace the USB with SD Card I currently have.  I also see where some people needed a new radio module but I am not sure if I need that or not.     

**Edit** I should mention that I am wanting this upgrade specifically for Apple CarPlay

I had gone through this process with my 2013 Ford Fusion for about $400 late last year, but with that one I was able to do all the programming myself with a bluetooth OBDII adapter.  I feel that the GMC will require less work on my end to actually get it up and running but I am having a hard time nailing down who/where to get the parts from and exactly what I need.  I was hoping to avoid the $999 and up kits. 

Edited by fritzscorner

On 4/7/2019 at 1:45 PM, fritzscorner said:

Hello everyone.  I am kinda new to the party.  I just got a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 8" screen and no Nav.  I have been going through this forum to try and find out exactly everything I need.  So far I am 99.9% sure I need a 2.5 HMI pre-programmed to my VIN as well as a USB adapter to replace the USB with SD Card I currently have.  I also see where some people needed a new radio module but I am not sure if I need that or not.     

**Edit** I should mention that I am wanting this upgrade specifically for Apple CarPlay

I had gone through this process with my 2013 Ford Fusion for about $400 late last year, but with that one I was able to do all the programming myself with a bluetooth OBDII adapter.  I feel that the GMC will require less work on my end to actually get it up and running but I am having a hard time nailing down who/where to get the parts from and exactly what I need.  I was hoping to avoid the $999 and up kits. 

I just did this upgrade on my 2015 Sierra 2500HD with 8" screen and no Nav (the IO4 accessory option). In order to upgrade it you need  the HMI module (105 from 2016), the faster 2.5 processor, and a new center console USB port. The HMI has to be programmed for your specific vehicle/serial number. The kit was $899 from MVI for the no OEM nav or $1299 if you want the IO6 module to give you GM factory navigation (I didn't need that since CarPlay would give me at least three navigation apps). The install took me about 20 minutes with a trim removal tool, a 7mm socket driver, and a 4mm torx bit. Absolutely plug and play, Fired it up and now the Intellilink system is exactly the same as it was before...rear camera works great, steering wheel controls all the same. The only difference is is that from the Intellilink home screen, when I plug my iPhone into the USB port in the center console box, the "Projection" icon changes to CarPlay.  https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2014-2015-carplay-enabled-gmc-factory-system/     

I just did this upgrade on my 2015 Sierra 2500HD with 8" screen and no Nav (the IO4 accessory option). In order to upgrade it you need  the HMI module (105 from 2016), the faster 2.5 processor, and a new center console USB port. The HMI has to be programmed for your specific vehicle/serial number. The kit was $899 from MVI for the no OEM nav or $1299 if you want the IO6 module to give you GM factory navigation (I didn't need that since CarPlay would give me at least three navigation apps). The install took me about 20 minutes with a trim removal tool, a 7mm socket driver, and a 4mm torx bit. Absolutely plug and play, Fired it up and now the Intellilink system is exactly the same as it was before...rear camera works great, steering wheel controls all the same. The only difference is is that from the Intellilink home screen, when I plug my iPhone into the USB port in the center console box, the "Projection" icon changes to CarPlay.  https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2014-2015-carplay-enabled-gmc-factory-system/     

Dude im so glad i didnt buy from them. I told them I only wanted to add the ability to mirror my android and he said $1,489.99 plus tax. Thats a crazy price diffence. Only thing different is the screen size 4in.this was a month and a half ago.

48 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:
1 hour ago, maccool said:

Dude im so glad i didnt buy from them. I told them I only wanted to add the ability to mirror my android and he said $1,489.99 plus tax. Thats a crazy price diffence. Only thing different is the screen size 4in.this was a month and a half ago.

I don’t know anything about their various products. The CarPlay/Android Auto upgrade for my vehicle was $899 +shipping....arrived in less than a week. Install was a snap. Works perfectly. Absolutely OEM. Even the steering wheel buttons work fine.

I don’t know anything about their various products. The CarPlay/Android Auto upgrade for my vehicle was $899 +shipping....arrived in less than a week. Install was a snap. Works perfectly. Absolutely OEM. Even the steering wheel buttons work fine.
Right on dude.

Wanted to share my costs for the project for those that are curious.  I did the cluster and apple carplay/android auto.  Everything working as advertised thus far.  These are rounded but are very close to actual.

2.5 HMI and matching radio module, used - $200 shipped (ebay)

Updated USB ports, new-pulled from console - $40 shipped (ebay)

Denali/F-cluster blue green for a 2016 - $405 shipped (gmoutletparts.com)

2.5 HMI/radio module programming - $100 (WAMS)

Denali cluster programming - $250 (WAMS)

Shipping costs (To/From WAMS) - $120

Total = $1,115 USD

2 hours ago, Michael Box said:

I have a 2014 and would like to do the cluster upgrade also, but do the 14 cluster not have the bigger screen? From what I have read in this thread is I need the same year? Thanks Michael

I believe once you do the AA/CP modules, you'll need the blue green 2016 version, as your HMI will now be 2016 spec.  You'll need to contact WAMS for fitment though to be sure.  My 2015 used the 2016 blue green part number for the denali cluster.  WAMS did the entire thing together in one shot for me.

Also to note, I was able to get AA running wireless using a slave device plugged into the center console, though its not without its shortcomings (it also costs 99 cents for the app lol).  Here is a post from the colorado forums that outlines the process.

• Like 1

Have a 2014 LT Z71 with Bose and NAV. I have unlimited access to dealer programmer and GM TISWeb. What would I need to do to have ACP and AA added to my truck with functional steering wheel controls. From what I have read it looks like I have to replace the HMI, Radio, USB, and the Cluster from 2016 and up. Is this correct? As I have access to TISWeb and Programmer do I need to send it off or can I do it myself? Also the newer USB ports do they not have an option with SD card? I wear my current SD slot out. That being said once you get up into certain dollar amounts is it not better to just replace the radio with aftermarket? 

9 hours ago, Macgyuver said:

That being said once you get up into certain dollar amounts is it not better to just replace the radio with aftermarket? 

Yea I totally understand.  Definitely not a "cheap" mod.  For those of us where factory appearance and function are king, its a small price to pay for the alternative aftermarket looking deal.  I have an alpine aftermarket screen in my '09 silverado, and it looks just that, aftermarket.

I just, literally JUST installed a Pioneer headunit into my wifes car which is capable of wireless AA/CP (wireless AA does not work on my Galaxy S9+ OOTB, but my wifes iPhone should be ok).  It looks OK and has more features than I do (screen mirror, etc), but I did pay something around $800 for the unit and all additional wiring etc to get the steering wheel controls to work, backup camera on two screens, etc.  Everything but the head unit itself looks factory, but if I had the option of spending an extra $300 to get it 100% factory, would I?  Yup, I would.

6 minutes ago, MBtrucker said:

So with the HMI and radio module....

What is the programming that needs to be done? It is just programming the module to accept my trucks VIN number? 

Thats a very small part of it. For example we make some other small tweaks that fix some small quirks when used in a retrofit situation etc. 

Thats a very small part of it. For example we make some other small tweaks that fix some small quirks when used in a retrofit situation etc. 

100% this. The programming can go far beyond that. For example, modules may need to be re-branded to suit your make and model, radio type, country and various other factors.

Some units (most units) will need to be updated to allow full functionality as well.

It's more than just changing the VIN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk