Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

2 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

If you have the truck running and the radio on, and on a preset radio station highlighted at the bottom of the screen, when you turn the truck off, but dont open the door, does the preset stay highlighted, or does it go dark, then highlighted after a few seconds.

I got you.  Bose '15 here and I did the upgrade from WAMS.  Under the conditions you've stated, the preset remains highlighted and the screen stays normal playing the music until I open the door.  

I'd suspect your radio module, but perhaps WAMS or magpie can chime in if they've seen this before.

808, thanks. Its like its ignition related. I also have the NavTV module in my truck which extracts audio and sends it back via optical cable to my jl audio amps.  I had a problem with the truck theftlocking the hmi several times.  It works perfectly except for that. To get audio back I actually unplug the gray connector on the radio module and plug it back in. Or, believe it or not, If I select onstar, then go back to radio, the audio comes back on. I also thought that the welcome screens werent coming on all the time. They only come on if the truck sits for a while, I open and CLOSE the drivers door but dont put the key in. I think.... I swapped back my factory radio module, and it still does it. I hate to even think its hmi programming issues.  It works PERFECTLY with my factory 2.0 modules.

17 minutes ago, 808 said:

I'd suspect your radio module, but perhaps WAMS or magpie can chime in if they've seen this before.

And they BOTH have tried VERY hard to help me get this figured out. I actually thought it was a bad HMI because it did it with a different 2.5 HMI and the this radio. But was fine with my 2.0 hmi and this radio. So makes me say the radio is ok.  My truck just doesnt like the 2.5 hmi setup.

32 minutes ago, 808 said:

I got you.  Bose '15 here and I did the upgrade from WAMS.  Under the conditions you've stated, the preset remains highlighted and the screen stays normal playing the music until I open the door.  

You also have a 15.5 hardware wise :)

In the vast amount of these we've done (going back to late 2012) I cant remember any vehicle giving anyone such a hard time as his and its done some REALLY weird stuff. It almost seems to be a power moding issue but its hard to pin down, couple that with aftermarket equipment, a salvage radio unit etc its really hard to tell :( 

EDIT: My first thought now knowing about the NavTV (news to me!) would be to remove that and see if the issue is resolved since it hijacks both busses to operate and generally thats a bad idea but aftermarket companies love to do it! Its also possible (but admittedly a long shot) that a bus revision mismatch from the cluster + NavTV (depending on which frames it uses for which operation) could be contributing. 

Edited by GTPprix

1 minute ago, GTPprix said:

EDIT: My first thought now knowing about the NavTV (news to me!) would be to remove that and see if the issue is resolved since it hijacks both busses to operate and generally thats a bad idea but aftermarket companies love to do it! Its also possible (but admittedly a long shot) that a bus revision mismatch from the cluster + NavTV (depending on which frames it uses for which operation) could be contributing. 

I was typing up a response to racer saying this exact thing when your post notification showed up. I'd try and get the setup back to "stock" without the navtv and go from there.  If it turns out the navtv is the culprit, I'd tap the amp in the back seat to get the audio signal for your amp using an audiocontrol unit.

1 minute ago, 808 said:

I was typing up a response to racer saying this exact thing when your post notification showed up. I'd try and get the setup back to "stock" without the navtv and go from there.  If it turns out the navtv is the culprit, I'd tap the amp in the back seat to get the audio signal for your amp using an audiocontrol unit.

Great minds :) I just want to help him get it running its really an anomaly i've never seen an HMI learn HALF of a VIN before... like ever... and thats over thousands of units lol 

Whew.... yeah. The good part is i know how to get audio back very easily. The bad part is how to fix it. I removed the navtv out of the system to see if that cured it. But then I have no audio anyway. But with it completely removed, I can watch the radio preset go gray when i shut the ignition off, then a couple seconds later its highlighted red again, but audio is gone. I have alot of stuff in this truck. And it appears that the 2.5 module upgrade just doesnt like the stuff.

Another thought, power moding is BCM controlled and 2014's have a TON of BCM updates (typical for a first year vehicle) maybe try getting the BCM updated to see? Worst case we can toss another radio at it if you want to try that. 

Just now, RACERX7775 said:

Chris, And I thank you so much for the help with this and not throwing your hands up at me.

No problem man!! We will figure it out one way or another :) 

Im also working with the engineers  at NavTV too. Its just so weird. I have still never heard the startup and shutdown sounds. With the 2.0 hmi and new radio, its perfect. 2.0 hmi and original radio, its perfect. 2.5 module and either radio, its issues.

A side note is that with android audo, all I have to do is  say ok google, and it works. I dont have to touch anything. The steering wheel voice controls work perfect as original 2014.

Im also working with the engineers  at NavTV too. Its just so weird. I have still never heard the startup and shutdown sounds. With the 2.0 hmi and new radio, its perfect. 2.0 hmi and original radio, its perfect. 2.5 module and either radio, its issues.

A side note is that with android audo, all I have to do is  say ok google, and it works. I dont have to touch anything. The steering wheel voice controls work perfect as original 2014.

Yeah something isn’t waking up on time and shutting down early. Sure sounds like the NavTV but sadly impossible to tell remotely. There were quite a few bus changes between 14 and 16 so that sadly isn’t surprising.

And its mostly just when ignition is turned off. Thats why i asked what the presets do when the truck shuts off. With the navtv disconnected, the issue still happens with the presets. And I have confirmed that there is no audio coming out of the radio when this happens.

12 minutes ago, RACERX7775 said:
And its mostly just when ignition is turned off. Thats why i asked what the presets do when the truck shuts off. With the navtv disconnected, the issue still happens with the presets. And I have confirmed that there is no audio coming out of the radio when this happens.

What other aftermarket wiring modifications were made for the stereo? I guess we’d need to know how the amps are wired in etc... so many variables :(

EDIT: DUH. The Amps are probably wired for key on power... the Welcome/Shutdown sounds both occur when the ignition is off... no wonder you've never heard them.  (or they are tied to power moding etc) just spitballing here but it would certainly make sense. 

(oh and the DUH was for me... like why didn't I think of this sooner)

Also we are dragging this thread off track, might be best to take this to email. 

Edited by GTPprix
Why did I not catch that in the last post? LOL

Amps are only tied in with the optical cable from the navtv unit. And then spliced out to my speakers. BOSE amp still hooked up but not connected to speakers. The blueray player in the center console video goes to the sceeen via a camera module from MVI. Audio goes from rca of the blueray to the headphone jack at the usb in the center console when switched to AUX on thw radio. That also gives me cameras at all sides, front and rear. 

There is a ton of stuff in my truck. And now its only the audio that has the issue when the 2.5 module is in. I have removed the 2.5 module and reinstalled the 2.0 module.... All works perfect.