2019 GMC Sierra SLT 6.2L quick thoughts

I just traded in my 2017 GMC Sierra SLT with 5.3L and 6 speed for a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT with 6.2L and 10 speed. X31 package and SLT mega package - whatever it is called that gives the safety features and convenience.  MSRP = $61800

-- I have had a 2015 Sierra with 6.2L and 8 speed that GM bought me out of due to an awful downshifting 8 speed.  I have also had a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT with 5.3L and 6 speed in there, as well as driving countless loaner Sierras throughout my process, so I feel that I have a pretty good idea of how the last gen trucks feel as well as characterized their mannerisms.  

I am picky and a true car guy, I am always connected with what my cars and trucks are doing.  I have a major issue with feeling things others may not feel.  (also currently own and autocross a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE)

So, for anybody who is interested, here are my thoughts on my new truck after driving it home 3 hours and having it a couple of days.  It is early to make judgments, but thought this may help some in what to expect.

Firstly -

This truck is bigger.  It feels bigger, and drives bigger on a highway and in city streets.  However, when you push it into a turn it somehow steers lighter and delivers a more fun experience.  Unfortunately, this truck also rides firmer than all the previous trucks I have driven.  It can be jarring over rough streets in ST. Louis. I hope it smooths out with time.  I have had the Z71 package on 2 of my last 3 trucks, and this truck feels firmer than those.  Is it the new bridgestones? I am going to air them down a bit to see if it helps.

Secondly -

Dynamic fuel management.  

On my 2015 6.2L I never felt the truck go in and out of v4-v8 and v8-v4 modes.  In my 5.3L trucks and all my service loaners that were 5.3L - I could feel it all the time.  Sometimes it was smooth, other times I could feel it so bad it would frustrate me.  It really depended on throttle.  I could feel it on the highway and in neighborhoods and well as hear the harmonics change.

I can feel the dynamic fuel management working in a similar but more subtle way in this truck.  It isn't jarring or frustrating, it just feels like small pressure changes when running down the highway.  You have to be looking for it (And I was, hey, I like to know how things feel in my vehicles).  I am not disappointed in the feel of it, but I can feel the differences when coming off of a hill rolling or coasting and then feel it kick in as moving up the next.  It is most apparent with cruise control on very slight elevation changes.  Once again, it isn't bad, but it is apparent if you look for it.

Thirdly - 10 speed

It is better than my 6 speeds so far, and miles ahead of my 8 speed.  I, however, have driven a couple service loaners that had 8 speeds from the 2018 model year and they were miles ahead of my 8 speed from 2015 that had a new torque converter.  The 10 speed takes some getting used to because it feels like it is always doing something.  No clunking yet.  No major harsh shifts so far even though it only has a few hundred miles on it.  I do get a delay in shifting with partial throttle from 1-3 (I think with small throttle it is skipping 2nd gear to save gas). When I test drove the truck, I felt it and asked the salesman to bring around another identical truck (with 6.2L and 10 speed) to test drive and they both did the EXACT same thing.  It is going to be a characteristic of this vehicle for the time being.  I look forward to other things I find.

This 10 speed does shift firm sometimes, but not clunky.  I hope after a few thousand miles it cleans up some more, but I can already tell it is better than my 6 speeds were. I just want to say I can tell it isn't perfect.  The last transmission I felt was perfect was my 2009 Avalanche with 6 speed.  I feel that this new 10 speed will take a lot of getting used to, but overall I am impressed.  With some throttle it shifts amazing, in the neighborhoods, it is busy.  

Fourthly - Randomness 

It barely fits in my garage where I never had any issue with my previous trucks.  The mirrors are wider also, which makes it even more difficult.  The cabin is quiet, I love the layout inside, everybody keeps comparing it to the Ram.  I think the Ram looks like a glitzy busy mess.  I test drove one with the big touch screen.  I am 34 years old, and I prefer this cabin so much more.  It is cool, calm and functional.  It is different enough to be new, but familiar to my old trucks. 

On the dash ahead of the gauge cluster is a hole where there should be a heads up display that my truck doesn't have.  This type of cost cutting ticks me off.  How hard would it have been to just make two different sets of dash pieces so that all the ones without HUD didn't have the cutout there?  I hate blank buttons too, luckily my truck doesn't have any, but I have seen some lower trims that have buttons that aren't buttons.  What can I say, I am picky.

My seating position does have me putting the steering wheel so it blocks the top of the gauges. I didn't have that problem before, I might need to change around the seats some more.

Overall, this truck is a nice upgrade, I like the new guage cluster, the screens and cameras are clearer, the radio is better, the seats are better (to me), the interior space is amazing, the truck looks amazing in person (it doesn't look as good in pictures).  I love the new wheels, I love the bed step, I love the overall feel of the truck.  I love the power.  I love the color.  I love how it feels like the general driveline clunkiness of the previous gen truck has been at the worst, reduced if not eliminated (only time will tell, but things are looking up).  

I tried to explain this to my friend who has had a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali and 2018 GMC Sierra Denali (old one was majorly clunky, new one has had some issues but much better) -- this new 2019 is about 85% perfect if we set the baseline at 50% perfect on the previous generation.  This truck is better.  It is not perfect.  It is so much better.

If you have questions, please ask.  Thanks

IMG_0350.jpeg

New update on 09/01/2018:

I am having an issue with the navigation right now.  It keeps saying it doesn't have an SD card.  I put one in and gave it about 20 minutes with the same error message every time I open the navigation screen.  Will give it a couple days - I am assuming the navigation system needs to go through some kind of downloading or update process to fully function.  If it does work out correctly, I like that the navigation system will receive updates through onstar or whatever it uses.  

Will see what happens.  

New update on 09/04/2018

I ordered the floor liners and the bed mat from GM.  Thought you would like some pictures of it.  

The floor liners require that the little cubby area under the seats be removed.  Worth it for me because my dogs have more space.  

They fit pretty well, the dead pedal on the driver's side could have fit better.  I hope it breaks in some.

Also the bed mat might be cut a little large, I might sand it down if it doesn't behave.  (More pictures in the thread... won't let me add more here)

IMG_0362.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0357.jpeg

Update 9/18

Received my blendmount and wiretap installed and got my back ordered console organizer in, happy with both.

pictures in the thread because it won’t let me put them in this post.

Edited by JacobC1983
  • Like 6

Thanks for the review, helpful to me as  I'm currently in a 2016 Sierra and about to purchase the new 2019 RAM...or Silverado.  Still haven't decided yet.  Interesting comments about the ride firmness, seem like all the other reviews say the 2019 ride is a bit softer when compared to the 2014-2018. 

Let us know how the next few weeks go, I want to hear more from guys that owned the previous gen truck and upgraded. 

Edited by GMC-AT
  • Like 1

No questions.

Good write up from an owner with multi model experience.

Nice to see a die hard GM fan even though you've had some issues. Why switch brands, they all can have issues.

:)

• Like 1

Well when I did have issues, GM also stepped up for me. They gave me a new 2016 with an equal MSRP truck for my used 2015. However, that 8 speed was a nightmare. It would launch people in the cabin it hit so hard.  I have never driven another one quite that bad.  

Edited by JacobC1983

Thank you for the honest review.

The harsh ride is most likely due to the cheap Ranco shocks or overinflated tires.

Try setting them at 35psi.

The barely fitting into the garage is concerning, as my 14 Sierra is a tight squeeze as is with mirrors folded in.

You have a nice looking Rig! Keep us posted :thumbs:

1 hour ago, JacobC1983 said:

I love the layout inside, everybody keeps comparing it to the Ram.  I think the Ram looks like a glitzy busy mess.  I test drove one with the big touch screen.  I am 34 years old, and I prefer this cabin so much more.  It is cool, calm and functional.  It is different enough to be new, but familiar to my old trucks. 

Overall, this truck is a nice upgrade, I like the new guage cluster, the screens and cameras are clearer, the radio is better, the seats are better (to me), the interior space is amazing, the truck looks amazing

I appreciate your positive comments.  I don't own a '19 but many of my perceptions are similar to these.   Some come on to this forum to provide "expert" testimony on where GM is lacking when compared to Ford or Fiat. You have kept your review positive and you speak from first-hand experience.   I believe the engineers and designers at GM are well aware of what their competitors are producing and continue to produce a truck that will have broad appeal.  

2 hours ago, JacobC1983 said:

I just traded in my 2017 GMC Sierra SLT with 5.3L and 6 speed for a 2019 GMC Sierra SLT with 6.2L and 10 speed. X31 package and SLT mega package - whatever it is called that gives the safety features and convenience.  MSRP = $61800

-- I have had a 2015 Sierra with 6.2L and 8 speed that GM bought me out of due to an awful downshifting 8 speed.  I have also had a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT with 5.3L and 6 speed in there, as well as driving countless loaner Sierras throughout my process, so I feel that I have a pretty good idea of how the last gen trucks feel as well as characterized their mannerisms.  

I am picky and a true car guy, I am always connected with what my cars and trucks are doing.  I have a major issue with feeling things others may not feel.  (also currently own and autocross a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE)

So, for anybody who is interested, here are my thoughts on my new truck after driving it home 3 hours and having it a couple of days.  It is early to make judgments, but thought this may help some in what to expect.

Firstly -

This truck is bigger.  It feels bigger, and drives bigger on a highway and in city streets.  However, when you push it into a turn it somehow steers lighter and delivers a more fun experience.  Unfortunately, this truck also rides firmer than all the previous trucks I have driven.  It can be jarring over rough streets in ST. Louis. I hope it smooths out with time.  I have had the Z71 package on 2 of my last 3 trucks, and this truck feels firmer than those.  Is it the new bridgestones? I am going to air them down a bit to see if it helps.

Secondly -

Dynamic fuel management.  

On my 2015 6.2L I never felt the truck go in and out of v4-v8 and v8-v4 modes.  In my 5.3L trucks and all my service loaners that were 5.3L - I could feel it all the time.  Sometimes it was smooth, other times I could feel it so bad it would frustrate me.  It really depended on throttle.  I could feel it on the highway and in neighborhoods and well as hear the harmonics change.

I can feel the dynamic fuel management working in a similar but more subtle way in this truck.  It isn't jarring or frustrating, it just feels like small pressure changes when running down the highway.  You have to be looking for it (And I was, hey, I like to know how things feel in my vehicles).  I am not disappointed in the feel of it, but I can feel the differences when coming off of a hill rolling or coasting and then feel it kick in as moving up the next.  It is most apparent with cruise control on very slight elevation changes.  Once again, it isn't bad, but it is apparent if you look for it.

Thirdly - 10 speed

It is better than my 6 speeds so far, and miles ahead of my 8 speed.  I, however, have driven a couple service loaners that had 8 speeds from the 2018 model year and they were miles ahead of my 8 speed from 2015 that had a new torque converter.  The 10 speed takes some getting used to because it feels like it is always doing something.  No clunking yet.  No major harsh shifts so far even though it only has a few hundred miles on it.  I do get a delay in shifting with partial throttle from 1-3 (I think with small throttle it is skipping 2nd gear to save gas). When I test drove the truck, I felt it and asked the salesman to bring around another identical truck (with 6.2L and 10 speed) to test drive and they both did the EXACT same thing.  It is going to be a characteristic of this vehicle for the time being.  I look forward to other things I find.

This 10 speed does shift firm sometimes, but not clunky.  I hope after a few thousand miles it cleans up some more, but I can already tell it is better than my 6 speeds were. I just want to say I can tell it isn't perfect.  The last transmission I felt was perfect was my 2009 Avalanche with 6 speed.  I feel that this new 10 speed will take a lot of getting used to, but overall I am impressed.  With some throttle it shifts amazing, in the neighborhoods, it is busy.  

Fourthly - Randomness 

It barely fits in my garage where I never had any issue with my previous trucks.  The mirrors are wider also, which makes it even more difficult.  The cabin is quiet, I love the layout inside, everybody keeps comparing it to the Ram.  I think the Ram looks like a glitzy busy mess.  I test drove one with the big touch screen.  I am 34 years old, and I prefer this cabin so much more.  It is cool, calm and functional.  It is different enough to be new, but familiar to my old trucks. 

On the dash ahead of the gauge cluster is a hole where there should be a heads up display that my truck doesn't have.  This type of cost cutting ticks me off.  How hard would it have been to just make two different sets of dash pieces so that all the ones without HUD didn't have the cutout there?  I hate blank buttons too, luckily my truck doesn't have any, but I have seen some lower trims that have buttons that aren't buttons.  What can I say, I am picky.

My seating position does have me putting the steering wheel so it blocks the top of the gauges. I didn't have that problem before, I might need to change around the seats some more.

Overall, this truck is a nice upgrade, I like the new guage cluster, the screens and cameras are clearer, the radio is better, the seats are better (to me), the interior space is amazing, the truck looks amazing in person (it doesn't look as good in pictures).  I love the new wheels, I love the bed step, I love the overall feel of the truck.  I love the power.  I love the color.  I love how it feels like the general driveline clunkiness of the previous gen truck has been at the worst, reduced if not eliminated (only time will tell, but things are looking up).  

I tried to explain this to my friend who has had a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali and 2018 GMC Sierra Denali (old one was majorly clunky, new one has had some issues but much better) -- this new 2019 is about 85% perfect if we set the baseline at 50% perfect on the previous generation.  This truck is better.  It is not perfect.  It is so much better.

IMG_0350.jpeg

Thanks for the review!  What color is that by the way?  When it's time for me to dump my beloved 2016SLT.........THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DADDY IS LOOKING FOR! 

Great review. I think I would shy away from the X31 because of the harsh ride. Do you know if the HUD is available in the SLT? I've heard conflicting reports. They may only offer it in the Denali.

2 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Thank you for the honest review.

The harsh ride is most likely due to the cheap Ranco shocks or overinflated tires.

Try setting them at 35psi.

The barely fitting into the garage is concerning, as my 14 Sierra is a tight squeeze as is with mirrors folded in.

You have a nice looking Rig! Keep us posted :thumbs:

Exactly what I did, haven't driven it yet today.  The PSI was set at the dealer (or factory) at 45 PSI and the tires max is 44.  I put them at 35 PSI and will hope for the best.

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Thanks for the review!  What color is that by the way?  When it's time for me to dump my beloved 2016SLT.........THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT DADDY IS LOOKING FOR! 

Quicksilver metallic.  My 2016 was also the same color -- the 2015 was white and my 2017 was that slate grey/greenish color.

Quicksilver to me is the best looking color that needs the least maintenance when dirty.  

39 minutes ago, smit303 said:

Great review. I think I would shy away from the X31 because of the harsh ride. Do you know if the HUD is available in the SLT? I've heard conflicting reports. They may only offer it in the Denali.

No idea about this one - I know the HUD can come on the AT4 though. 

Firstly -

Secondly -

Dynamic fuel management.  

Thirdly - 10 speed

Fourthly - Randomness 

IMG_0350.thumb.jpeg.0ffbfe9e18f4f75b7a87a0e9b8a4aebe.jpeg

I fully agree with you, everything looks better in person especially going into it with an open mind. Congratulations [emoji898][emoji323][emoji324][emoji322]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Any shaking or vibration between 70-80?

Smooth as glass up to 85. that is the fastest I went on the way home from the dealer yesterday.  Great highway truck and effortless passing power. No vibrations of any kind.

Edited by JacobC1983
  • Like 2