T1 Refresh

What are you expecting to possibly change when GM does their mid cycle refresh?

I'm guessing we will see a redesigned front end as usual for both models and possibly a gauge cluster?

Hoping the refresh comes sooner rather than later as well. I was thinking the 2021's should be made nicer.

13 hours ago, texasaggies16 said:

What are you expecting to possibly change when GM does their mid cycle refresh?

I'm guessing we will see a redesigned front end as usual for both models and possibly a gauge cluster?

Hoping the refresh comes sooner rather than later as well. I was thinking the 2021's should be made nicer.

The trend from K2 to T1 leaned toward cheaper/lighter materials and less bling and tech. And for a higher price at that.

Hopefully that trend reverses itself in the next Gen or Mid Cycle changes.

1 hour ago, teehee said:

My guess would be an interior upgrade, as that is where most of the negative attention from professional reviewers has been. 

+1 .. they normally do an exterior refresh every 2 years now and leave the interior the same.  I bet this time the focus will be on the interior.. and a larger screen in 2021

16 minutes ago, GMC-AT said:

+1 .. they normally do an exterior refresh every 2 years now and leave the interior the same.  I bet this time the focus will be on the interior.. and a larger screen in 2021

Sounds about right.. K2 came out in what, 14? The refresh was 16 with the new front end design,etc...

I don't think the 19's will bomb in sales. Many folks I know, like the new design. Especially the Sierra.

Edited by Loco-diablo

6 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

Also hoping the 5.3 and 6.2 will have been updated as well by that time . I wonder if the new GM SUV"S coming out next year will have the same 5.3 and 6.2 output as ther trucks ?  Or do they finally update them and then the trucks get the new updated motors. By updated i mean HP and TQ and for GM Fuks sake, put the damn 10 speed with the bastard 5.3 

• 2 weeks later...

They will need a refresh by 2021 or else I may be switching brands for the first time.  I wanted a new truck but actually prefer my 2014 interior and my 6.2 has same power as 2019 so why by a new truck.  The negatives of the 2019 far out weight the posatives now that I have seen truck in person and crawled all over them there seems to be more negatives that appear than improvements.  The only improvements I see are the GMC ext design (Chevy just looks off to me).  Addition of rear AC vents and more legroom.  Better features in the Bed of the truck.  Addition of mild off road suspension but should have come with larger tire from factory. 

They definitely need a complete interior overhaul to bring them into the same class as Ram Ford and even Nissan.  The top trims $60k and up should have full leather seats and leather on the dash and doors.  They are currently vinyl for most of the seat material and the dash and doors are vinyl.  Ram puts real leather in the longhorn and limited. 

The engines/trans need revisions.  Power #s and mpg #s were a step back on this gen.  Every truck maker improved power and MPGs with their redesigns.  GM failed here with decreased mpg same power #s and supposedly they made huge improvements to the engins?  Any GM owner knows the EPA #s are always exceeded with real world driving on GM trucks but the printed facts in specs and window stickers is what will win new truck buyers or Ford, Ram buyers. 

6.2 should be available on any trim or cab configuration or if they want to keep it exclusive improve the 5.3 to complete with the Hemi for Ford 5.0 which is available on all of their cabs and trims.  Bump 5.3 to near 400hp and 6.2 to 460-500hp.  Why is it GM has multiple transmissions with every generation.  Ford is able to produce enough 10 speeds for all engines.  GM keeps old transmissions around too long and the 8 speed had nothing but horrible reviews on the last gen. 

Also the small details GM skimped on need to be addressed.  They removed features that every truck and car is available with such as power peddles, turn signals in mirrors, they removed chrome trim around speaker grills, removed most of the real aluminum trim from the interior and still no switch in the bed for task lighting.  GMC should have paint to match wheel moldings not black cheap plastic.  Offer larger gas tank option like every other truck brand.  Offer body color bumpers as separate option for LTZ/SLT.  Finally paint or ecoat the frames already.  

Edited by Payton34
  • Like 2

Their refreshes are never huge so it's probably best you don't set your expectations for that. I really like the 2019 they just need some packaging an options work.  I like the interior too it just shouldn't be the top of the line High Country Denali interior it's a better fit for midline models

Edited by shift_grind

4 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

Their refreshes are never huge so it's probably best you don't set your expectations for that. I really like the 2019 they just need some packaging an options work.  I like the interior too it just shouldn't be the top of the line High Country Denali interior it's a better fit for midline models

Define huge. Because I thought the '16 refresh was pretty huge.. Totally revised front end (not just a different grille or different headlight shape, per se), forward collision alert, lane keep assist, LED headlights and taillights, remote locking tailgate, 8 spd available with the 5.3, android auto/apple carplay.

1 hour ago, NWI Denali said:

Define huge. Because I thought the '16 refresh was pretty huge.. Totally revised front end (not just a different grille or different headlight shape, per se), forward collision alert, lane keep assist, LED headlights and taillights, remote locking tailgate, 8 spd available with the 5.3, android auto/apple carplay.

Big by GM standards, but not the industries. A big mid-cycle refresh would be like what for did with the F-150 and Mustang. GM didn't really change anything with the powertrain -sure they made the 8-speed more available but then they rolled it back to almost it began with anyways. No real interior changesand only added a few options they should have had anyways.

I had a 2014 and 2016 Sierra.   Yes, the 2016 was refreshed on the outside... better headlights, etc. But the interior was identical.  I think the only difference if I remember was the 2014 had hard plastic on the seat back.. the 2016 was cheaper with just leather.  Also the 2016 had android/apple stuff ..... 

15 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

Big by GM standards, but not the industries. A big mid-cycle refresh would be like what for did with the F-150 and Mustang. GM didn't really change anything with the powertrain -sure they made the 8-speed more available but then they rolled it back to almost it began with anyways. No real interior changesand only added a few options they should have had anyways.

I wouldnt hold your breath for new engine offerings in a T1 mid-cycle refresh. They already rolled out with 2 brand new engines that still arent even on lots yet lol. As stated already by some others, the Hemi is a port injected iron block from 2009. The Tundra 5.7 is unchanged since 2007. Ford is the only one who feels the need to completely overhaul and redesign engines every 3-5yrs. Shoot, back in the 90s, engine runs went 10 yrs+. The 6.2 is all the power you neer in a pickup. GM just needs to fine tune the trans...