A/C always on with remote start. Drives me nuts!

Hello all. I’ve searched with no good results for a 2018 Silverado with dual climate control and factory remote start. 

No no matter what setting I have my climate control on when I shut my truck off, it ALWAYS turns the A/C when I use remote start. Other morning it was 69 degrees and still dark out, add that to full blast A/C and it is COLD when I get in!

As soon as I put the key in, it goes back to whatever setting I had last, which is usually with A/C off. 

I only drive a few miles miles to work and back so I usually don’t even bother with A/C, I like the windows down. But since my windshield has had full A/C blowing on it for 3-4 minutes or remote start time, it now fogs up really bad when I roll the windows down, forcing me to use the defroster. 

Is there a way to have my A/C not operate differently with remote start? I’ve read on the ‘14’s the dealer could flash it to keep same settings as last used, but dealer is telling me there are no options available on my ‘18. 

Ive got an appt tomorrow for my free oil change and would love to have something to give them showing it can be changed before I wire in a switch to my compressor relay. 

Thank you!

Hello all. I’ve searched with no good results for a 2018 Silverado with dual climate control and factory remote start. 

No no matter what setting I have my climate control on when I shut my truck off, it ALWAYS turns the A/C when I use remote start. Other morning it was 69 degrees and still dark out, add that to full blast A/C and it is COLD when I get in!

As soon as I put the key in, it goes back to whatever setting I had last, which is usually with A/C off. 

I only drive a few miles miles to work and back so I usually don’t even bother with A/C, I like the windows down. But since my windshield has had full A/C blowing on it for 3-4 minutes or remote start time, it now fogs up really bad when I roll the windows down, forcing me to use the defroster. 

Is there a way to have my A/C not operate differently with remote start? I’ve read on the ‘14’s the dealer could flash it to keep same settings as last used, but dealer is telling me there are no options available on my ‘18. 

Ive got an appt tomorrow for my free oil change and would love to have something to give them showing it can be changed before I wire in a switch to my compressor relay. 

Thank you!

There is a setting in the radio to set the remote start climate control based on outside temp. Turn this on and heated seats turn on for chilly mornings and air-conditioned seats will come on in the afternoon as well as the standard climate temp. It works really well year round in my opinion!

And as always... Enjoy your ride!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you remote start with the temperature control set on "auto" setting, the truck will adjust the air temp to the last temperature you had the truck thermostat set on. Granted, if you get in 1 minute after remote starting, the engine may not have created enough heat to start warming the air.

Either way, the system automatically turns A/C on, even when blowing heat. This function basically dehumidifies the air to help defog the windows. So don't think that just becasue the A/C light is on, it is blowing cold air. I too was confused by this when I got my truck, but it is not an issue.

What temperature do you set your thermostat on regularly? If you want it to blow warm air in the morning, when remote starting- try setting the thermostat to 80 degrees when you park it. You will have to let the engine run a few minutes for the air to warm up anyway.

• Like 2

My issue is I don’t want the compressor turning on at all. If I had it my way the compressor would never be on unless I push the button (including defrost). 

Most of the time I drive windows down with the blower turned off. 

My issue is when I remote start, it blows AC full blast. Then I put in the key and everything returns to past settings (AC off) and I drop my windows or it’s cool enough to leave up and just use outside air on cool.  But now since the system ran the evaporator case is full of the moisture that it previously pulled out and now blowing that moisture back out through the cab since the evaporator is no longer flowing and removing it. So now my windows fog up for next 10 minutes. 

Most of the time I run it on all the way cold with compressor off so it blows cool air in or I have windows down and blowing nothing at all. 

I realize most folks set it on auto and leave it, but if I don’t need the compressor running, I prefer it off. 

Remote start HVAC programming as of early 2014+onwards for Auto Climate Control.  I bolded the middle section and highlighted the blower part as it applies to your scenario.

Cold ambient temperature that is below 50°F (10°C):

Mode = Defrost

Temperature = 72°F (+/- 5°F) Example: If the owner had the temperature set to 80°F, the HVAC would be set to 77°F during a remote start. (72°+5°=77°)

Blower = Six bars

Recirculation = Fresh Air

A/C compressor = Only commanded on if conditions allow compressor engagement.

Hot ambient temperature that is above 59°F (15°C):

Mode = Last known settings

Temperature = 72°F (+/- 5°F) Example: If the owner had the temperate set to 80°F, the HVAC would be set to 77°F during a remote start. (72°+5°=77°)

Blower =  Last known settings, unless the blower was in the "Off" position. In which case, the blower will be turned to the "Auto" setting.

Recirculation = Recirculation

A/C compressor = On

Mid ambient temperature that is anything between the cold and hot ambient temperature values:

Mode = Last known setting

Temperature = Last known setting(s)

Blower =  Last known setting

Recirculation = Last known setting

A/C compressor = Last known setting

On transition to ignition on following an RVS event , the HVAC settings will return to last known settings.

Edited by newdude

For me, I don't touch the gas until the motor has ran for a few minutes. Let it warm up a hair and get the oil pumped everywhere it needs to be. Just one of the things i'm anal about haha. 

Thanks for that breakdown newdude. I think I did see that in an old post, but thought it was for 14's only. 

So if i'm reading that correctly, anything above 59 degrees and the compressor comes on?? 

Does anyone know if GM can flash it to make it where it goes to "last known settings" for remote start? The same as if I started it with the key?

I wish it was setup like my 02 Silverado, nice and easy and simple! Although I had aftermarket remote start. but it went to last settings.

I don’t know how to fix your problem.

The A/C light being illuminated does not mean the compressor is running. The trucks computer chooses when the compressor turns on. The A/C light being illuminated just means the compressor can turn on if the computer thinks it’s needed. The owners manual contains more info about when the truck will turn the compressor on.

• Like 1

I don't know why you need to warm up the engine oil more than 1 minute if its 60 degrees outside.

I get it, you don't want to floor it immediately after ignition. But letting it "warm up" when you don't need to is only wasting gas. So get in, start the truck, and then buckle your seatbelt, put on sunglasses and you should be good to go.

That or set your thermostat to a warmer temperature, so when it auto starts it will blow warm air.

You are stuck on the compressor being "on", but that is not a problem. If you don't want the light on, don't remote start when its 60 degrees.

If I didnt let me engine idle for a bit, it would never reach operating temps. 

I only drive 1.4 miles to work, so I like to let it warm up a bit more. If I had a 15 mile commute, i'd be okay with just idling for a minute or so as it would get plenty warm and burn up the condensation inside the motor in that 15 miles. Not so much at 1.4 miles.

I don't care about the "light", I care about the compressor pumping freon and cooling my truck down too damn much. 

I just want "cool" outside air, not super cooled outside air.  

I was hoping someone would have the info on a flash for the dealer to just make it like last settings used, I thought I read that somewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 3:05 PM, rah7777777 said:

If I didnt let me engine idle for a bit, it would never reach operating temps. 

I only drive 1.4 miles to work, so I like to let it warm up a bit more. If I had a 15 mile commute, i'd be okay with just idling for a minute or so as it would get plenty warm and burn up the condensation inside the motor in that 15 miles. Not so much at 1.4 miles.

I don't care about the "light", I care about the compressor pumping freon and cooling my truck down too damn much. 

I just want "cool" outside air, not super cooled outside air.  

I was hoping someone would have the info on a flash for the dealer to just make it like last settings used, I thought I read that somewhere. 

Unfortunately the flash your looking for does not exist. When I bought my 2014 and used remote start it would not do anything A/C or heat. I had to get in the truck and turn them on when I turned the key. There was no reason for remote starting if that is all it was going to do IMO. After all my 2009 sierra worked the way it was supposed to. After a few months I saw there was a flash available to correct the situation. The flash was to enable the auto cool/heat to work with remote start. You are looking for the opposite and it does not exist.