Steering column rattle

I have a 2017 GMC 2500HD, every time I hit a small bump, I here a rattle in the steering column area.  It only happens on small bumps, has anyone come across this?  Did you find the problem? 

Edited by Lon Bossom

8 hours ago, Lon Bossom said:

I have a 2017 GMC 2500HD, every time I hit a small bump, I here a rattle in the steering column area.  It only happens on small bumps, has anyone come across this?  Did you find the problem? 

Knee bolster rattle?

Edited by Jonty711

Just below the column there is a knee bolster. Held on by a few screws under the dash. Take the screws out under the dash, seems like they might be 8mm. Remove the knee bolster. With the bolster out, there will be some more screws in the area below that are screwed into the metal support brackets. Seems like they are the same size. TIghten them down and the rattle should be gone. Mine were very loose and caused a rattle that drove me nuts. Gone now and has not came back in 4 years.

I wish it were that simple, I have tried everything I've seen on the web and still no luck.  I have even brought it back to the dealer twice and they say they don't hear anything.  They won't drive it on the roads I use everyday, they tell me that's too far.  I am just hopeful I might find someone out there with the same issue.

Mine was a combination of the for lose bolts and I also put a zip tie around the hood release cable. That was most of my rattle. I put just enough tension on it to hold it sung in plast clip. Doing those to things fix all my rattles. Drove me nuts until I traced it back to the hood release cable.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...