Evidence of slim-jim tampering someone trying to steal my truck

Build a bigger garage!  Would be a good excuse to get a bigger garage, maybe put a lift in the garage :thumbs:

In all seriousness I would get some cameras if I was you.  I have cameras all over my house, they are a great deterrent.  My cameras helped bust a thief stealing packages from people's doorsteps.  We live in a nice neighborhood, unfortunately those are the neighborhoods thief target.  Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

This is just a thought.  I've seen some Dash Cams advertised as having a "Parking Mode" and some have dual cameras for the front and rear but I'm thinking you could aim the rear toward your side window.  Then it's activated by motion or impact I believe.  I don't have any real experience with them but ran across several when I was shopping for one.

5 hours ago, dcarl said:

This is just a thought.  I've seen some Dash Cams advertised as having a "Parking Mode" and some have dual cameras for the front and rear but I'm thinking you could aim the rear toward your side window.  Then it's activated by motion or impact I believe.  I don't have any real experience with them but ran across several when I was shopping for one.

I have a dash cam(dual camera), and it has the shock sensor and motion sensor. Works pretty good, but... I have really dark tint, so at night, looking out my side window, probably won't even get a good view of the face. Works well looking out the front window though..  :lol:

I've thought about the dash cam thing, too, but I also have dark tint. Probably wouldn't pick anything up.  Also, I figure if the thief can see the dashcam, they would be more likely to smash the window and take it.

The bigger garage is coming... my pole barn is getting build next month.

• Like 1

Camera systems are really cheap these days. Plus, there's quite a few now that are wireless. You can run them through a desktop computer, or a standalone DVR recorder unit.

I put my system in back in '09. Only thing I'd have done differently would be to NOT cheap out on the wire. All the problems I've had with this system have been related to the crap chinese BNC cable I got ...

Anyway, if you get the camera close enough to the area without being able to be seen, you'll get some pretty detailed video you can show the police.

IMG_9264.thumb.JPG.2d21ec6717c1b834f2880afa1e675fcf.JPG

• 1 month later...

A camera might make you feel better, but unless you can get a real time response, it won't guarantee they'll be caught or you'll get you stuff back.  As long as your truck is parked outside, your best defense is to ensure there is nothing in view and make sure you have zero deductible comprehensive insurance.  Mortgage or renters insurance can even cover property inside the truck.

• Like 1

Had my Avalanche broken into ~6 years ago while at dinner. Heard the alarm go off, was outside in less then 30 seconds and the thief was already gone. Used something to shove into the key lock to pop the door. Required them to 'pry' the door handle down a bit. Not sure how the mechanism worked. Anyhow, wife left her phone on the center console which is what was taken. Phone was $200 phone. Door handle was going to cost if I recall after painting $4-600. 

After some thought, as stupid as this sounds, I simply leave my truck unlocked. In the driveway I have a camera on it. Out and about I have nothing of value in it. Reason being, the cost to repair a break-in or attempt is often more than what was taken. Id rather someone simply try the door handle, find nothing, and not break anything. 

Not for everyone I understand but no issues in the 6 years since. No idea if anyone has been in the truck. They haven't broken anything if they have been. 

Edited by bovineplane
spelling

I learned a long time ago to just leave my vehicle unlocked. I had my window smashed out for $1.80 in change that was in the ashtray. Now I just leave it open, I would rather lose the change then spend another $300 on a drivers side front window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dee74 said:

I learned a long time ago to just leave my vehicle unlocked. I had my window smashed out for $1.80 in change that was in the ashtray. Now I just leave it open, I would rather lose the change then spend another $300 on a drivers side front window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a $300 check from the insurance company. 

Full comp, $50 deductible. 

Salvage yard window: $20

Install it yourself, and get paid $230 to do it. 

Getting paid $230 for 1 hours worth of work isn't too bad. 

1 minute ago, starman8tdc said:

Get a $300 check from the insurance company. 

Full comp, $50 deductible. 

Salvage yard window: $20

Install it yourself, and get paid $230 to do it. 

Getting paid $230 for 1 hours worth of work isn't too bad. 

Haha...good one!

Like my dad used to say: " To have a Dollar and to not have a Dollar makes two Dollars." :D

so long

j-ten-ner

On 10/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, lapoolboy said:

They may gain access to the truck, but they will just steal your belongings....these newer vehicles cannot be "hot-wired" or started with a screwdriver like they could in the past.

thats what you think.  my friends 2016 ford truck got stolen literally in downtown austin in middle of a saturday afternoon.  All he found when he came back an hour later was the radio assembly, which apparently houses the gps for fords version of onstar to track.  truck was found in a field a week later about an hour away.  it was used for smuggling people across the border.  Dont underestimate lowly thieves.  Like the saying goes, if someone wants it bad enough they'll get it.  

On 10/17/2018 at 10:28 PM, 300 Blackout said:

tenor.gif

Get a couple buddies willing to spend the night in your truck.

Better yet hide under the truck and swipe their feet out from under them, or in the bed and then beat the shit out of them when you catch them. 

I think I may have a very hard time not going to prison if I catch somebody messing with my truck. 

• Haha 1