What did you pay for your truck?

IMO

If you let yourself get in the position that you need a vehicle right away you are playing into their game.

If you let them control the deal you will loose IMO.

When dealing with a dealer to purchase my used vehicles I don'y play their game.

I know the vehicles value and tell the salesman this is what I'm offering.

Do we have a deal or not.

If the salesman plays the he has to talk to manager card, I say you have 5 minutes to return or I walk.

If the manager comes to talk to me I tell him the same, this is my offer, deal or not.

I can walk and look for another vehicle, deal because I'm not in dire straights to purchase one.

If you let them take control they act like they are doing you a favor to sell you a vehicle. 

The guy with poor credit and limited funds is icing on the cake..

I know people who spent hours buying a vehicle.

Once the deal is made I don't wait around for paper work.

I tell them when the papers and vehicle are ready call me.

I had a sales manager tell me that the vehicle I was interested in they had to do some work on trying to get me to raise my offer.

I told him you're problem. You bought it.

Deal or no deal.

He said he needed to talk to his manager.

I said you have 5 minutes to OK the deal or I walk.

They stopped me while I was walking to my truck and said deal.

I also negotiate the dealer fees.

Cost of doing business to me.

I refuse to let them control the deal, IT'S My Money.

:)

Yup I was adamant on the value of my trade-in but I should have had the mentality of yours to walk out if they take longer than 5 minutes. I had zero intention of buying that day. I just wanted to test drive a Silverado with the convenience package II.

Luckily I have excellent credit so I can make whatever deal happen right away if I see the right numbers. Also found out on the trip my wife's educator discount limits the doc fee, so that's nice.

My timeframe has always been to buy when the 20s come out and they dump 19s, but I was willing to see what they'd come up with.

It can be their best day ever but the point is if you walk out w/o signing anything they know their chances go down significantly that you return tomorrow. “Never let them leave!” is their moto. Everyone has a story like yours and/or one where the salesman chased after them as they are leaving with a “new” deal directly from the sales manager, but you must sign tonight, even the salesman has never seen a deal this good. BS, no you don’t have to make a deal tonight. If you go back in on Monday they will probably try to start over with “their deal” but don’t let them fool you and don’t be afraid to walk out again if you don’t get your deal, but don’t be rude about it, nothing good can come from being an A-hole. They are going to work you over on the WT trade one way or another because all other deals, rebates, incentives, etc will be the same until next month. I am not a fan of making demands on the seller, be nice to them and they will want to be nice back, it is just human nature. Sure they want you to think they are doing you a favor by selling you a car and make you feel good about it, that IS their job. If they try to take me for a sucker, they lose as I walk out, but leaving the door open to walk back in and make a deal later if I like. If you demand 5 minutes or else they have seen this many times before and know how to handle you, yes sales may be down but they are very rarely so desperate to make a deal that they let anyone who demands such a bad deal for them that they will just fold and give in to whatever terms you demand, it just does not work that way. They can always wait for the next mark to come in 5 minutes later and take a pass on a bad deal. Car sales industry has not changed since Sen Mike Monroney from Oklahoma got the uniform MSRP law passed 60 years ago. I have in and out some aspect of the business for most of those years. Good luck! 

12 hours ago, GMCShack said:

Dave Pusa is great guy at Laura Buick GMC in St Louis.  Hundreds of 2019 Sierras at up to over $14,000 off msrp with or w/o trade or finance. They pick you up at STL airport and you can drive away in your new truck in under 2 hours if you set it all up in advance. Laura is largest volume GMC truck dealer in USA for a reason. Love their Lifted trucks, ATAs and Denali deals. Tell Dave that Mike from Columbus, Ohio and Russ from Chicago sent you for the best deal possible. Don’t mention Rudy from Chicago who didn’t buy and regrets it. Laura won’t be beat and you won’t need to haggle. If you don’t buy they will not hassle you with phone calls or emails, either you want the best deal on the best truck you can buy or you don’t. Check their website.  YMMV good luck!  

I checked their website..They are only offering 9k off on an AT4. I have a strong feeling I can do that locally as the dealership a few miles away is advertising 8.5k off on an AT4. Do you know if there is still room to work or is that 9k the no haggle fee?

Definitely not worth the price of plane ticket for $500 if that 9k is firm... 

Edited by Chris walker

I'm polite and will walk and come back another day.

Your point is well taken.

I just don't play their game.

There are to many dealers and vehicles to not get a good price.

Edited by diyer2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

I'm polite and will walk and come back another day.

Your point is well taken.

I just don't play their game.

There are to many dealers and vehicles to not get a good price.

I was more aiming my remark at sdkraemer than you diyer2, but yes I dealt with 4 different dealers in 3 states last time and wasted more time than I did writing that novel statement as I’m sitting in my easy chair watching The Masters, looks like Tiger May get another Major, good for him, a lesser man would have given up and quit years ago. ?

1 hour ago, sdkraemer said:

Yup I was adamant on the value of my trade-in but I should have had the mentality of yours to walk out if they take longer than 5 minutes. I had zero intention of buying that day. I just wanted to test drive a Silverado with the convenience package II.

We have all done that, sometimes you have to pretend to be interested until the test drive is over. I got recognized by an old seasoned salesman once who walked away from me and I had to come back later and find a rookie kid to test drive the brand new 2015 Ford F-150 ecocrap 6 banger, thank god I didn’t buy that heap. ;) 

6 hours ago, Chris walker said:

I checked their website..They are only offering 9k off on an AT4. I have a strong feeling I can do that locally as the dealership a few miles away is advertising 8.5k off on an AT4. Do you know if there is still room to work or is that 9k the no haggle fee?

Definitely not worth the price of plane ticket for $500 if that 9k is firm... 

I would think with 2,000 trucks on their lot you should be able to make a deal. They have 110 AT4s listed and over half of them are between $9,500 and $12,500 off msrp before any rebates, incentives or finance deals, so that beats the ad you saw. Worst deal on an AT4 available on their site is $9,338 off msrp. I can fly all the way across the country for $500 or less, and one way to STL for under $200, sometimes under $100 with Southwest, so yes it would be worth my time, but as I said YMMV. Get your best local deal in writing and ask Laura to beat it. I don’t work for them and never have but know lots of people get great deals there and all were happy with their experience. Good luck! 

I know other volume dealers, where are you located? 

Edited by GMCShack
  • Like 1

You know I just realized that the best price on a 2019 GMC Sierra Denali is higher now than when I bought mine in February. I did see that GMC is deep discounting the 2018s Sierras at over $12k off msrp with some great incentives, but maybe this same deal as always since I have not been looking. Scroll down past all the ads if you can, lol. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/gmc-discounts-2018-sierra-by-over-12000-in-april-2019/amp/#

Edited by GMCShack
Dammed auto-correct is reason for most of my edits, lol.

23 minutes ago, BringTheRain403 said:

Where you at in PA? I'm in Pittsburgh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I bought the truck up in Tunkhannock? PA. Think that's how its spelled, was a three hour drive for the truck I wanted. I'm down in Chester County by Kennett Square. Next closest truck I liked was out your way.

Edited by RUGER AT4