6.2L Yes or No

Well folks it's time to make my move, and so is the 6.2L worth the extra 2500.00$....I'm ordering a LTZ and have to stop debating.....2500 extra and premium gas.....mmmmmm

Thanks for reading.....                   GH

34 minutes ago, ftwhite said:

Hell Yes!! So much cheaper that spending $2500 worth of after market add ons trying to get same wheel HP.  

Thanks for the reply, I must clarify i'm 55 years old and once I get a truck she's my jewel. But as for add ons for power that's outta my realm....just sayin'. Here in Canada 10-12 cents more a liter for gas.....But I won't be buying new trucks for long....lol Had 5.3 L all my other trucks over the years and no issues

55 minutes ago, goose hunter said:

Well folks it's time to make my move, and so is the 6.2L worth the extra 2500.00$....I'm ordering a LTZ and have to stop debating.....2500 extra and premium gas.....mmmmmm

Thanks for reading.....                   GH

Yes, you can actually get better MPG than the 5.3. All depends on how you drive. Have you had the chance to drive both?

Just now, JimCost2014 said:

Yes, you can actually get better MPG than the 5.3. All depends on how you drive. Have you had the chance to drive both?

Well Jim, first thanks for the reply.....I see you have a 6.2, no I've been in a 6.2.But never have driven one myself. Would you go back to a 5.3, i'm assuming you had one before!!!!

Just now, goose hunter said:

Well Jim, first thanks for the reply.....I see you have a 6.2, no I've been in a 6.2.But never have driven one myself. Would you go back to a 5.3, i'm assuming you had one before!!!!

Last 3 trucks have had the 6.2. I do not think that I would do the 5.3 in a 4 wheel drive truck. Had them in all of my prior trucks, 2 being regular cab short bed 2 wheel drives. Also one in a 2008 2 wheel drive crew cab, truck was not real quick off of the line. I would drive a 6.2, and then make the decision for yourself, take both to a freeway on-ramp, then you will be able to see the difference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goose hunter said:

Thanks for the reply, I must clarify i'm 55 years old and once I get a truck she's my jewel. But as for add ons for power that's outta my realm....just sayin'. Here in Canada 10-12 cents more a liter for gas.....But I won't be buying new trucks for long....lol Had 5.3 L all my other trucks over the years and no issues

If you are asking, it means, deep down, you still like putting power to pavement. If that's wrong, you asked a funny question. Just flip a coin. They both have 8 cylinders. :P   

I use to in the 5.3 camp. Last 2 trucks were 4wd 5.3. Just recently moved to an 18 SLT 6.2 8speed and I will not go back as long as they keep making the 6.2. I am getting better mileage 19.4 in the 5.3 vs 22.4 from the 6.2, same load same 900+ mile trip. Also if you tow, you will appreciate the extra torque of the 6.2. 

IMG_20181227_212014.thumb.jpg.1c63ffba0d5250206c6934ff8963ab8e.jpg

• Like 1

If they offered the 10sp transmission with the smaller engine options like Ford does then I think it would be a tougher value proposition for a lot of people.

The 6.2l combined with the 10sp is really a great drive though.  I'm not at all disappointed.

• Like 1

I see no point to it unless you are trying to burn money or you actually need a few more HP for towing. For normal driving, the 5.3 is more than adequate. But you do what makes you happy.

Side note: are they geared the same? taller gear ratio will save fuel on freeway but make it feel slower off the line. If the trucks you are comparing don't have the same ratio, then that's going to drastically affect the "seat-of-your-pants" feel.

This question has been asked before. you can read a bunch of more comments here:

Edited by aseibel

I have a 5.3 and I think it's fine. I don't need the power to tow anything but my boat. For the extra money, I think that is cheap to get the 6.2 (cheap being that it's factory power)

I wanted a truck, so I got the one I liked. If I were buying a  muscle car, then yes I would buy the bigger motor... always did :)

Edited by mattsvtcobra

Agree with the 6.2 camp.

Just got my first 6.2 a few months ago and, IMO, it's much more fun to drive. I'm getting the same mileage as my 07' that had a 5.3.

Funny story, my truck is at the dealer for a rear window leak and they gave me a 2018 5.3L as a loaner. As I'm driving it home I'm getting into it a little and I've just gotten so accustomed to the power the 6.2 delivers I swear I popped the hood the second I got home to check if it was the 5.3 or the 4.3 V6.

Not saying the 5.3 is bad or weak. It did me fine for nearly a dozen years and towed my 25ft boat just fine.

I originally went to the dealer to buy a truck set on getting another 5.3 but they didn't have a truck in the color or options I wanted with the 5.3 so I went with the 6.2 and don't regret it at all.

Test drive both. You really can't go wrong with either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1